Balance charge a LiPo every time?

Kaos116

Is there any downside to balance charging every time I charge a LiPo?

I'm charging at a 1c rate whether I just charge or balance charge. The additional time balancing is negligible, maybe 3 minutes.

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
Not balance charging is faster...and I only balance charge every 5th or 6th , or somethingth charge. But my biggest battery is a 1800 3s. I had only one battery ever off by more than .01v and it had a bad cell (lots of crashes). I usualy charge at .8c to 1.2c....so really, I guess I didn't answer your question.

DDSFlyer

I balance charge everytime...but I don't field charge and I just stop flying after using all of my batteries.

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
The only way to not balance charge safely, is to still connect your balance lead, and make sure the charger actually monitors the individual cells. Cells should not go above 4.2V. If they do, bad things happen...

But if you connect the balance lead anyway, there's no reason not to balance. Come on guys, houses have burned down because of not balancing. It's not worth it.

Corbarrad

The only reason not to balance is if you don't have a balanfing charger available. say in an"at the field" situation. I usually charge my bateries at home because I have enough batteries to get me thtough an afternoon at the field. I just don't think charging batteries at the field is economical, I'll use them up faster than I can charge anyway. One or two charges worth of batteries in an afternoon isn't worth the extra wear imposed by quick charging, even less so without balancing. I also don't care forcdraining my car battery at the field.
That said, a balancing charger for up to 6s is available for less than what a pair of batteriies would set you back,ca seperate balance for yor existing charger is even cheaper. Even less reason to risk a fire over one more flight.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
So far I've only charged my battery unbalanced one time, because I used the wrong program. Otherwise I'm fairly conservative and charge at 1C. That might change when I go charge on the field, but so far I'd rather have two more batteries with me than doing otherwise.

That's weird... My 1S packs are ALWAYS balanced charged!

Nope.

Balance - "The difference in magnitude between opposing forces or influences."

Only one cell can not have a "difference in magnitude" :).

PS: Yes, I'm German, why? ;-)

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I balance every charge every time, no more than 1.5C. I've had $8 batteries last 200+ cycles so I'm sticking with it.