Battery Issue/Question about Taranis Q X7S

lifeisgood68

Hello! I just got the Tinyhawk 2 drone and binded it to a taranis x7s q. I am a newbie and have been doing my first flights, but see that my controller goes from 8v to 6v in less than ten minutes. Is that usual or am I doing something wrong? Tips about charging? I also attached photos of the batter and screen. Hope ya can help!

Attachments

• IMG_5011.JPG
    IMG_5011.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5012.JPG
    IMG_5012.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5013.JPG
    IMG_5013.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Hello! I just got the Tinyhawk 2 drone and binded it to a taranis x7s q. I am a newbie and have been doing my first flights, but see that my controller goes from 8v to 6v in less than ten minutes. Is that usual or am I doing something wrong? Tips about charging? I also attached photos of the batter and screen. Hope ya can help!

Yes that is normal for the type of battery pack that came with the radio. Nicads are basically AA bateries with the ability to be recharged. they also tend to need conditioning to achieve peak performance. If you cycle them from full to half and recharge them a few times perfromance should get a little better. But even for nicads that seems like low times. Do you by chance have the screen back lit all the time? That eats power fast. I set mine up on a switch for when I actually need the light.

Also this is why everyone switches over to lipo or life batteries to power the radio. They hold peak voltage longer but have a fast end of available power drop off. replacements are easily found and fairly cheap but would also require a separate charger as the internal one to the radio is not meant for lipo / life packs.

lifeisgood68

Yes that is normal for the type of battery pack that came with the radio. Nicads are basically AA bateries with the ability to be recharged. they also tend to need conditioning to achieve peak performance. If you cycle them from full to half and recharge them a few times perfromance should get a little better. But even for nicads that seems like low times. Do you by chance have the screen back lit all the time? That eats power fast. I set mine up on a switch for when I actually need the light.

Also this is why everyone switches over to lipo or life batteries to power the radio. They hold peak voltage longer but have a fast end of available power drop off. replacements are easily found and fairly cheap but would also require a separate charger as the internal one to the radio is not meant for lipo / life packs.

Phew, I was worried that I broke something . I did keep the backlight on, but have changed the settings to leave it off now. I'll try conditioning it and hopefully get some lipo batteries soon. Thank you!

danskis

Master member
If you decide to get the aftermarket LiPo batteries for the QX7 be aware that some may not fit in the battery compartment. I had to cut some plastic off the case so mine would fit in smoothly. They do last a lot longer being 3200mah

lifeisgood68

If you decide to get the aftermarket LiPo batteries for the QX7 be aware that some may not fit in the battery compartment. I had to cut some plastic off the case so mine would fit in smoothly. They do last a lot longer being 3200mah
So I would have to do something like this?: Youtube Seems complicated for me right now, but I defiantly will upgrade in the future. How long would a lipo last in a transmitter under average conditions?

lifeisgood68

I turned off the backlight and was able to fly around, today, for much longer. Worked better but I will defiantly want to upgrade my battery in the future.

danskis

Master member
I've got a little bit newer transmitter that has a charging plug on the bottom of the case. If you use the battery they show in the video - I think its a 2100mah - It will should/probably slide right in. I bought a bigger one - 3800mah - and had to cut the vertical piece of plastic out so that I could close the cover without it bulging. I wanted to play with the tension on the sticks anyway so I took the back off which is very easy - only 4 screws. Hooking up the electronics was easy too. I bought this one. 3800 mAh Lipo Transmitter Pack for the QX7 (alofthobbies.com) It doesn't charge to full capacity but I get about 8-12 hours out of it (its fairly new and I havent been keeping track that well)