Before and After

Gryf

Hi, all -

I recently added a balsa model to my FT fleet - a Top Flite Mini Contender. It's an excellent plane, and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Unfortunately, it flies so well that I got overconfident the other day and planted it, but good. Ouch.

But we're nearly ready to fly again. I rebuilt the forward fuselage from fragments, and had to re-cover everything from the cockpit forward. I have a new cowling coming eventually; they were on back-order. There was also some wing damage, also repaired.

I hadn't worked with balsa for years, and this was my first time dealing with MonoKote, and while the fixes aren't perfect, I'm happy with the results. It's a nice feeling to save a good plane, and I'm looking forward to seeing it back in the air.

Gryf

20161004_140735_small.jpg

20161006_164426_small.jpg

20161007_083831_small.jpg

20161006_145438_small.jpg

20161006_162732_small.jpg

Last edited:

Gryf

Thanks for the comments! I really appreciate the nice thoughts.

Just a quick update... she's ready to fly! Plans are to meet a buddy at the club field tomorrow afternoon. Still waiting on the new cowl, but we can still fly in the meantime.

Gryf

IMG_0204.JPG

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
That's one of the things I like about balsa planes, many times you can repair them and completely hide the surgery. Nice work!

Gryf

One more post for closure... I took the rebuilt Contender to the club field yesterday, and it flies brilliantly. What a great feeling! :)

Gryf

Gryf

Okay, one last post - I promise. ;-)

Here's the reconstituted Contender, doing what it does best.

DSC_2839.JPG

Gryf

Last edited: