Best EPP 3d fommie

sierra_bravo

Hi everyone.
I am looking around for a good 3d EPP fommie plane. I want to get into 3d so I don't want something that is super hard to fly but can still perform 3d maneuvers like flat spins and can also hover. It has to be under 1040mm(40 inches), made of EPP, a good flying plane, can perform 3d maneuvers, and most important has to be cheap. I have a budget of under $100 for just the plane, all electronics, and battery. I had a look on HobbyKing and have made up this list of parts.

plane

Hobbyking Reaktor 3D EPP

Motor

Hd2613-1900kv

ESC

Turnigy plush 10amp

Prop

Master Airscrew 8x4

Battery

Turnigy nano-tech 25c 850mah

Servos

Im looking for good 5g servos

Thats the setup that im thinking of. The price is about $90 shipped. If anyone has a recommendations for differnt parts or for a different plane please tell me.

Thanks.
-sam:cool:

Last edited:

SlowPass

Check out the Value Hobby 32in Sbach 342 ARF kit or the other 32in EPP planes they have. You could also get similar components to the ones you listed from them as well and come in under budget (~$71.00 without battery).

http://www.valuehobby.com/airplanes/almost-ready-to-fly/sbach342-8mm-epp.html

32in Sbach 342 ARF $25.00
GForce 2206-1500KV Brushless Outrunner Motor $15.00
GForce 12A Brushless ESC $8.50
2 x Power HD DSM-44 Digital Metal Gear Micro Servo $17.98
Towerpro SG90 Analog Plastic Gear Micro Servo $2.25
8 x 4.5 Slow Flyer Prop (2pcs) GFH-MP-2663 $2.00

sierra_bravo

Thanks for the recommendation. I like the look of the sbach better. Insted of using the 5 gram servo you recommended what do you think of this one? For the battery I was thinking of using a 3cell 500mah that weighs 1.5oz Also have you ever purchased from value hobbies because I wanted to know how fast their shipping is and how good the quality of their items .

Thanks
Sam:cool:

Last edited:

SlowPass

Thanks for the recommendation. I like the look of the sbach better. Insted of using the 5 gram servo you recommended what do you think of this one? For the battery I was thinking of using a 3cell 500mah that weighs 1.5oz Also have you ever purchased from value hobbies because I wanted to know how fast their shipping is and how good the quality of their items .

Thanks
Sam:cool:

The Emax five gram will probably work just fine. I went with the recommended metal gear servo for the rudder and elevator. A 500mah 3cell should also be just what this little plane needs.

I was given the kit as a gift recently and I just ordered the components yesterday. Once they arrive I'll reply back. I did standard shipping so it may be 4-5 days.

ViperTech

I just purchased and built the HK Hummer.
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__66327__Hummer_EPP_3D_Plane_1000mm_KIT_AR_Warehouse_.html
I got it on sale for 35$ The kit was good quality and it took me about 6 hours to build. I am kind of slow at building.
I am trying to learn 3D also and the EPP is supposed to be very crash tolerant! I'LL FIND OUT!
I am using a Emax 980kv motor with a 10x4.5s prop 1300 3s battery and HK 9 gram servos. I had all these parts from a previous build.
The maiden flight went well, I did a couple high alphas and 1 knife edge and a few snap rolls but the wind picked up and I got a little nervous and put it away for the day.
It is a surprisingly large plane when assembled but very light. Mine weighs in at 540 grams or 19 ounces with battery.
Good luck on you choice!

sierra_bravo

vipertech,
Thanks. Ill have to look into that plane and see how much a good setup for it would cost and compare both planes

Last edited:

sierra_bravo

Slowpass,
The Sbach would cost $75 shipped with all the electronics and battery which is $15 under budget which is great. One question I have is can i use a normal 6 channel receiver like a Tactic TR624 or would it have to be a micro receiver.

Thanks

erice3D

You wont be disappointed with Value Hobby. I built and flew the Sbach last summer and still have it. It will take some serious abuse.
I have ripped the motor right off the several times and pealed the ailerons almost off. I just use Beacon 3in1 glue to put it back together and fly again and again. I used all 9g servos and only hot glue on the elevator hinge. Put a piece of fiberglass tape at the end of the ailerons, you will have to supper glue it tape don't stick well to EPP. Gorilla glue on the spars, if ya put tape over then it dosent ooze out. 3 in1 the rest and it should come in at 6.3oz ish. I use 500-800mah. you can use that receiver. I use Flysky 6 ch Take them out of the casing and paint them with clear finger nail polish or Corrosion-X.

sierra_bravo

So i read some reviews and watch some video about the sbach. So far the plane seems perfect for what I was looking for. Easy to fly, good 3d capabilities, durable, and cheap. I will have to see what slowfly says when he receives his parts from value hobby.

SlowPass

So i read some reviews and watch some video about the sbach. So far the plane seems perfect for what I was looking for. Easy to fly, good 3d capabilities, durable, and cheap. I will have to see what slowfly says when he receives his parts from value hobby.

Parts all came in today and other than USPS being a couple days late, I'm happy with the purchase. Now I just need to make time to put the kit together. :D

mkmitchell

I asked this same question a few months ago and went with twistedhobbys crack yak. http://www.twistedhobbys.com/TH-32-EPP-Crack-Yak-55-Gold-Crack-Yak-55-Gold-Standard.htm

Other options were the EPPYak55 found at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964237
or the Value Hobby machines.

I went with twistedhobbys because of the absolute stellar reviews. Everything I read said you won't be disappointed and I haven't been. I used a sunnysky 2206 with a 8x4 and 20amp esc. A 12amp would be fine but I had a 20 sitting around. I use 3 11 gram metal gear servos and like them a lot.

EDIT:
West michigan park flyers also makes a good plane! http://www.westmichiganparkflyers.com/

Last edited: