BetaFlight Help- Single ESC + Mac

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
Hoping i'm in the right place and you all can help. i apologize in advance for my rambling.

i like really fast airplanes, among many others, but going fast has always kinda been my thing.

anyways, i am converting a 18" Pylon racer i have to a larger motor and an Opto-ESC w/ external BEC in hopes of gaining lot's of power (Amps) and loss of weight.

setup- Emax 2205-2300kv Red Bottom, Avan 5x7.5, 45A Emax Formula Opto ESC, 5V-3A external BEC, running on 3S-450mah

my problem is, Ecalc said on this setup i should be in the 115mph range level flight. they are usually pretty conservative. when i flew it on the new setup it was almost slower than the old. this made me think i needed to check the throttle range and programing on the ESC. throttle range seemed to work, but when i plugged in my Emax programing card i got nothing.

turns out new ESC used BLHeli-32 and my card was only -S.

so, i ordered a V2 DYS USB Linker that is supposed to be able to connect w/o issue.

I tried using a Chrome extension on my Mac to connect but got nothing. i decided to download Betaflight assuming it would work. seems you have to run some weird thing i do not understand.

To work around this, run the following command in a terminal after installing: sudo xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Betaflight\ Configurator.app.

???????

i assume it is possible to connect to only one ESC?

any pointers on where i am going wrong. i really like the idea of the Opto ESC in small, fast planes. i probably double the weight of the motor (which helped w/ CG) but also halved the weight of the ESC while increasing almost 4X the Amp load. if i can figure out how to tune them, i think it gonna be really fun! :devilish:

thanks for you time and help,

me :cool:

Liam B

I think your best bet is to buy a cheap F4 flight controller, connect the FC to the ESC, use the USB and download and use use BlHeliSuite32. You can tune timing, PWM frequency, rampup power and lots of other stuff with it.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
there has to be a way to connect without a FC. i don't want to buy something i'm never gonna use.

anyone have any input on the Betaflight and Mac issue? what do they mean by "terminal?"

thanks,

me :cool:

Flyingshark

Master member
Terminal is an application that comes with the Mac. It's Apple's command line interface. Instead of using a mouse, you type Unix commands to do stuff. You can find it by using spotlight search and typing Terminal. It's also in Applications/Utilities.

Hope this is helpful in some way! Good luck!

Last edited: