FT EZ ID Betaflight Help

Digital Res

I originally used the HGLRC GPS unit on my quad. Now that I am trying to use the FT EZ ID GPS, I am showing no GPS in Betaflight version 4.4.3. I have the GPS TX connected to the RX on UART 6 of my SpeedyBee FC. I have found two sets of instructions, one saying to use the MSP protocol and the other to use the UBLOX protocol. I have tried to use both. Under ports I have the GPS sensor input turned on for UART 6. Betaflight will not allow me to cut MSP on for UART 6 because they are required on USB VCP and UARTs 1 and 2. Is it even possible for me to use the GPS with my setup or will I need to just stick with the HGLRC GPS? I am very frustrated at this point.

One last thing. The LED light on the EZ ID will turn green so I know it is getting a satellite lock.

Sincerely,
Bryan

Digital Res

The proper protocol is MSP. There were two pinouts shown in early documents, one had the pins reversed. Try using this link as your guide: https://www.flitetest.com/articles/connecting-ez-id-to-betaflight-for-gps-passthrough

I had success using the pinout shown there
This is what I was afraid of and is extremely disappointing. We can only open MSP on three ports in betaflight and one is dedicated so we really only have two. If the FT EZ ID will only work with MSP open on the port, then for the time being I must run my original GPS for OSD and return home functions and the EZ ID for compliance. Why why why does this have to be so difficult? Maybe I will have to wrap the EZ ID in foil for protection 🤔

DaveM

CEO Flite Test
I originally used the HGLRC GPS unit on my quad. Now that I am trying to use the FT EZ ID GPS, I am showing no GPS in Betaflight version 4.4.3. I have the GPS TX connected to the RX on UART 6 of my SpeedyBee FC. I have found two sets of instructions, one saying to use the MSP protocol and the other to use the UBLOX protocol. I have tried to use both. Under ports I have the GPS sensor input turned on for UART 6. Betaflight will not allow me to cut MSP on for UART 6 because they are required on USB VCP and UARTs 1 and 2. Is it even possible for me to use the GPS with my setup or will I need to just stick with the HGLRC GPS? I am very frustrated at this point.

One last thing. The LED light on the EZ ID will turn green so I know it is getting a satellite lock.

Sincerely,
Bryan
You must use MSP in BetaFlight. In addition, you must use BetaFlight 4.5rc2 or newer. 4.4.3 will not work. Please see the video by Dan Oachs showing the correct pins to use. You only need one pin plus the ground from the FT EZ ID. We are getting GPS coordinates showing up in BetaFlight. I’m Testing GPS Rescue by first installing a standalone GPS module and then installing the FT EZ ID on the same rig. I got GPS Rescue working with the GPS module yesterday. We tested the FT EZ ID to comply with the MSP message and we verified this message was getting to BetaFlight.

Are you using GPS Rescue or just recording coordinates in the OSD from your DVR?

Where Did you see instructions to use the UBlox protocol for FT EZ ID? That is incorrect and I would like to get that fixed.

This is Dave Messina, CEO of Flite Test.

DaveM

CEO Flite Test
You must use MSP in BetaFlight. In addition, you must use BetaFlight 4.5rc2 or newer. 4.4.3 will not work. Please see the video by Dan Oachs showing the correct pins to use. You only need one pin plus the ground from the FT EZ ID. We are getting GPS coordinates showing up in BetaFlight. I’m Testing GPS Rescue by first installing a standalone GPS module and then installing the FT EZ ID on the same rig. I got GPS Rescue working with the GPS module yesterday. We tested the FT EZ ID to comply with the MSP message and we verified this message was getting to BetaFlight.

Are you using GPS Rescue or just recording coordinates in the OSD from your DVR?

Where Did you see instructions to use the UBlox protocol for FT EZ ID? That is incorrect and I would like to get that fixed.

I got a FT EZ ID to communicate with BetaFlight today as described above. I was able to display latitude, longitude, distance from home and location of home.

Digital Res

Dave, here is the link to the installation instructions stating ublox should be used as the protocol. I will need to try the release candidate in BF because I have been using 4.4. I have GPS rescue set up with my old GPS because we are not in town and have large fields with significant lines of sight. But I am still happy with the EZ ID. It is more my OCD than anything. I honestly only started using it because I will be getting my part 107 soon and I did not want to deal with an issue with the FAA. Thanks for the reply and the information.

Sincerely,
Bryan Lowery

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...AQFnoECBMQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2LECCNHALlGLTjaqr58l5s

DaveM

CEO Flite Test
Dave, here is the link to the installation instructions stating ublox should be used as the protocol. I will need to try the release candidate in BF because I have been using 4.4. I have GPS rescue set up with my old GPS because we are not in town and have large fields with significant lines of sight. But I am still happy with the EZ ID. It is more my OCD than anything. I honestly only started using it because I will be getting my part 107 soon and I did not want to deal with an issue with the FAA. Thanks for the reply and the information.

Sincerely,
Bryan Lowery

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...AQFnoECBMQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2LECCNHALlGLTjaqr58l5s
Brian,
Mea Culpa. I wrote those instructions. The instruction to set the GPS protocol to UBlox is wrong. It should be set to MSP. I see my issue. We updated instructions on the Flite Test website but I failed to have our resellers, including GetFPV update these instructions. We will follow up with our resellers.