Bigger motor on swappables?

Andy.T.

So, current build is well underway and almost done (Simple Cub) and am starting to plan the next one, FT 3D. And I have my next question, since everyone seems so nicely willing to share wisdom and ideas :)
The swappable powerpod and firewall seems ideally sized for a 2836 motor. I would really like to put a bigger motor on some of the swappables. Specifically something in the 3536 range. But the x mount that came w/ one that I got is too big to fit on a swappable power pod. Anyone have tips or suggestions on how to fit those bigger motors on a swappable power pod?

luvmy40

Elite member
Attach the motor directly to the firewall without the X mount. You might need to drill new holesin the firewall depending on where you source it.

Andy.T.

That seems so simple, I probably shouldn't have had to ask. I assume the manufacturer specs for the holes should be available to draw onto the firewall.
By the way, I love my P-40 as well. Great looking plane. Great flying plane :)

Andy.T.

Ok, so next closely related question that probably has an equally obvious answer that has eluded me. The bigger motor I mentioned originally is this one, 1000Kv:
FlashHobby D3536
The adapter that came w/ the motor that goes over the shaft is threaded all the way down, and is a fair bit thicker diameter shaft than all the 2836 sized motors I've used so far. It is so much thicker, in fact, that none of the props I have seem to fit over it (various sizes/pitches from 6x4.5 up to 15x7 and many things in between). Is it a normal thing to have to drill out the center hole of a prop when you get a new one? I would think that could compromise the prop's symmetry. I was rather surprised to notice that out of the box shaft adapter seemed not plug-and-play with all of the props I've bought recently, as all the other motors were.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
... Is it a normal thing to have to drill out the center hole of a prop when you get a new one?...
Yes, it is normal to ream out the hub of a prop to fit your needs. I normally use a prop reamer but a drill will get the job done.

It's always a good idea to balance a prop before use, especially if has been reamed out.

Andy.T.

Yes, it is normal to ream out the hub of a prop to fit your needs. I normally use a prop reamer but a drill will get the job done.

It's always a good idea to balance a prop before use, especially if has been reamed out.
Interesting! Good to know. Funny learning some of these basic obvious things that I just never knew I needed to know. As always, I appreciate the collective wisdom shared! I think I'll have to look for a prop reamer; I didn't even know that was a thing but seems like something I'm going to end up needing enough it probably justifies itself. But it does also sounds like a good use for my drill press that I just haven't used enough lately.
If there are any obvious great or terrible choices for a prop reamer, I'm all ears. thanks again guys!

<edit> Jungle website seems to have everything. Is this set standard enough sizes it'll probably cover what I could need?
uxcell prop reamer set

Last edited: