BIGGEST solar farm in the world to be built in Australia...to power Singapore!

Marzipan

https://newatlas.com/energy/sun-cab...ail&utm_term=0_65b67362bd-0886ae3555-91020877

this project is mind blowing. once complete it will generate up to 17 - 20 gigawatts peak solar power with a battery storage facility holding 36 - 42GWh of potential.

the plan is to build it 600km below Darwin in the desert that has the most yearly sunshine. It will be 12,000 hectares in size and construction is expected to start sometimes in 2023 with completion in 2027, when some sort of 'power line' will have been laid on the ocean floor almost 3000 miles to Singapore, where it will provide up to 15% of their power needs, some 3.2Gw.

my mind is blown!

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
https://newatlas.com/energy/sun-cab...ail&utm_term=0_65b67362bd-0886ae3555-91020877

this project is mind blowing. once complete it will generate up to 17 - 20 gigawatts peak solar power with a battery storage facility holding 36 - 42GWh of potential.

the plan is to build it 600km below Darwin in the desert that has the most yearly sunshine. It will be 12,000 hectares in size and construction is expected to start sometimes in 2023 with completion in 2027, when some sort of 'power line' will have been laid on the ocean floor almost 3000 miles to Singapore, where it will provide up to 15% of their power needs, some 3.2Gw.

my mind is blown!
interesting, but you are posting too much of this stuff in my opinion. we can read the news on our own, @Marzipan

Marzipan

interesting, but you are posting too much of this stuff in my opinion. we can read the news on our own, @Marzipan

off-topic and different in the...mmm...off-topic forum. or it's been on-topic and...well, on-topic is on-topic.

of course, if fluff pieces like this bug enough people, I have no problem not being as chatty and conversational as I am in person :)

...or it could just be you're a curmudgeon, LoL! :LOL:

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
wow.. a solar power plant that is backed by a battery system that is rated for about 1/2 day at the intended power draw. So all it takes is a few overcast days and it runs out of power... or even 1 rainy day to basically take it down (at least until the sun comes back).

Doesn't seem like a great infrastructure solution to me, when the weather can take it out in such a short period of time.

Flyingshark

Master member
Agreed on both counts.

off-topic and different in the...mmm...off-topic forum. or it's been on-topic and...well, on-topic is on-topic.

of course, if fluff pieces like this bug enough people, I have no problem not being as chatty and conversational as I am in person :)

...or it could just be you're a curmudgeon, LoL! :LOL:
If you're going to post news articles, I don't think you need to make one new thread for every article. It feels kinda spammy. Maybe you could make an offtopic news thread for this stuff?

Marzipan

wow.. a solar power plant that is backed by a battery system that is rated for about 1/2 day at the intended power draw. So all it takes is a few overcast days and it runs out of power... or even 1 rainy day to basically take it down (at least until the sun comes back).

Doesn't seem like a great infrastructure solution to me, when the weather can take it out in such a short period of time.

I tried to look up the historic weather patterns for Powell Creek, NT, Aus...which is south of Darwin as the project is called the Powell Creek Solar Precinct, but I couldn't find anything. very sunny though and hot all the time. I didn't find any indication that they get bothered by the monsoon related weather that Darwin does. so 'cloudy days' may be a non-issue.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I tried to look up the historic weather patterns for Powell Creek, NT, Aus...which is south of Darwin as the project is called the Powell Creek Solar Precinct, but I couldn't find anything. very sunny though and hot all the time. I didn't find any indication that they get bothered by the monsoon related weather that Darwin does. so 'cloudy days' may be a non-issue.
no no... you missed the math, it doesn't look like it would take _days_ of bad weather... possibly 1 'daytime's worth. (depending on how bad the weather impacts the conversion. - the battery is basically enough to make it through the night and no more.

Marzipan

no no... you missed the math, it doesn't look like it would take _days_ of bad weather... possibly 1 'daytime's worth. (depending on how bad the weather impacts the conversion. - the battery is basically enough to make it through the night and no more.

my approach was to see what kind of cloud cover issues the area would / could suffer, being it was described as 'the sunniest place in Australia.' I couldn't find any data to show what the history is for periods of cloudiness as that would be an indicator of the seriousness of your postulation.

the amount of power it is expected to generate is nothing to sneeze at so if it were to go down because of inclement weather it would have a big impact on those it served. no doubt strategy plans are in the works...power rationing, etc etc.

Scotto

Elite member
How much voltage drop would that be across that distance. Im sure theyve run the numbers but I got a feeling this isnt remotely profitable without massive government subsidies, which would mean its not profitable or efficient or environmentally friendly in reality. All those solar panels are probly made by slaves in china with lead and toxic chemicals everywhere being fed a cup of millet a week. It will probly take more ccp coal energy to build this than it will replace in its life. But we gotta get rid of carbon dioxide. Even though the more carbon dioxide there is the more photosythesis turns it back to carbon and oxygen. If people really believed in global warming co2 would be the least of their worries. The whole thing is a lie and theyve been caught! Rant off. Back to planes.

Marzipan

How much voltage drop would that be across that distance. Im sure theyve run the numbers but I got a feeling this isnt remotely profitable without massive government subsidies, which would mean its not profitable or efficient or environmentally friendly in reality. All those solar panels are probly made by slaves in china with lead and toxic chemicals everywhere being fed a cup of millet a week. It will probly take more ccp coal energy to build this than it will replace in its life. But we gotta get rid of carbon dioxide. Even though the more carbon dioxide there is the more photosythesis turns it back to carbon and oxygen. If people really believed in global warming co2 would be the least of their worries. The whole thing is a lie and theyve been caught! Rant off. Back to planes.

indeed, most do not have a clue just how dirty clean power actually is. a step in the right direction for sure, but it really is no better than fossil fuels, not right now.

Piotrsko

Master member
Won't be a voltage drop of meaningful consequences, they just calculate the voltage at the end point and adjust the transformers to match.

Everything has a CO2 cost to manufacture and operate. The trick is the NET of the entire process. Fossile fuels continue to make it during the lifespan. Renewable energy tends to make it once. Or we can go back to the Dark Ages of kingdoms and serfs. Means no flite test airplanes.

Pick your poison. Life is a sexually transmitted generally fatal disease. Stop getting your information from social media. My $0.02(usd) YMMV.

Last edited:

Scotto

Elite member
Right, ya youre right high voltage probly uses nothing to go long distances compared to pumping natural gas in a pipeline and even that is pretty good.

Sorry @Marzipan to come in here :poop:ing on something you think is cool. Some company wanted to put a solar farm in my neighborhood where it really doesnt make sense and it has put a bad taste in my mouth I guess. Down there it in the desert does make sense and if they do have the rare cloudy day they just burn a little more coal that day.
The collective obsessing over CO2 is what drives me nuts. Its a pretty small piece of the puzzle. So much gets focused on that and not the big picture. Theres not as much thinking outside the box when so much gets thrown at wind and solar. And those wind turbines and solar panels dont last forever.

Taildragger

Legendary member
Solar isn't always good....
from the NZ Warbirds,
We REALLY need your HELP
1f614.png

Potentially a big concern for Ardmore Airport.
It could be applauded - the idea of a whole community designed to run on solar and an electric shuttle service into town, few cars - but NOT on the end of an existing runway and vibrant community of airfield businesses - Their ethics will certainly not align with an airport operation and one with NZ heritage, a WW2 base, ourselves the NZ Warbirds collection, globally recognised restoration and maintenance companies, leading NZ flight training organisations in a world of pilot shortages, rescue services such as the Auckland Regional Helicopter Trust rescue services and Coast Guard services and a host of other businesses.
This is a subdivision application submitted directly to the government through their Covid 19 Urban Development Act to FAST TRACK developments that stimulate the economy and obviously with the marketing being targeted at reducing climate change impact- we fear it will be embraced by the govt and Green Party
The developer stated on Seven Sharp that they expect their application to be consented by Christmas and hope to start on their first home by January 2022.
"Winton is seeking development consent through the Urban Development Act, the FAST TRACK central government legislation designed to speed up major housing developments. With the shortage of homes in Auckland and New Zealand’s ambitions to remove emissions from the way we live, we want to get on and make this happen asap and the Urban Development Act is the fastest way to do that."
https://winton.nz/our-neighbourhoods/sunfield/faqs/
None of us at Ardmore including the owners knew about this Development until last night's Seven Sharp television show and most only found out this morning and the developers plans have already been submitted to government without any consultation what so ever ! Presumably bypassing local council and Auckland Unitary plan?
We urge you to help us object to this proposed development off the end of a runway at Ardmore Airfield - if anyone can help with planning, development or business expertise, it would be a massive help - please email me at manager@nzwarbirds.org.nz

just thought it was interesting

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
If Australia is anything like the US when it comes to "green" energy its mostly a fake effort. The biggest reason that "Green" energy is growing is that any energy production comes with what boils down to carbon certificates regulating how much carbon they can pump out in a given time frame.

Since wind and solar fall under that category of power production they to get those same certificates. Since they don't use them they sell them to big oil and coal production entities to bolster their ability to keep on keepin on. THAT is where all the money lies in green energy its not the actual energy as the cost to make green power vs return on investment for just the energy is really bad. Its those certificates or chits what ever they are called that makes it viable business wise.

So think about this. Australia produces "green" energy for another country and grabs a stack of them carbon certificates for homeland oil / coal production and not caring how much power actually gets to the other country. Other wise they would be using that power they generate at home.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Solar isn't always good....
from the NZ Warbirds,
We REALLY need your HELP
1f614.png

Potentially a big concern for Ardmore Airport.
It could be applauded - the idea of a whole community designed to run on solar and an electric shuttle service into town, few cars - but NOT on the end of an existing runway and vibrant community of airfield businesses

HA!

This isn't a solar issue, it's a housing development issue that just happens to feature solar panels. Might as well be upset that all the houses likely have toilets.