Bloody WonderPower Pod Electronics

senator63

The build video doesn't really say much about battery and radio placement. The finished plane appears to have the battery velcroed to the bottom of the fuze. I would assume the radio is left inside the pod. If any one has built this plane could you tell me about how far back from the front did you place the battery? I plan on a 2200 LiPo with 30 Amp ESC.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I mount the ESC inside the nose, behind the firewall , the ESC cable is run down the side to the back where the RX sits and the battery goes inside between them, just forward of the CG. how far forward? depends on the size. I've run everything between a 3S1000 and a 3S2200.

I run velcro along both the inside and outside of the pod (for use on other swapables) but it pays off for the BW. I put the pod on, empty, velcro the battery on the bottom, then nudge it forward and back until I like the CG. Then I can pull the pod, move the battery from underneath to inside at the same place, plug everything in and re-mount the pod. Balances perfect every time. It does get VERY tight in the nose, with an ESC, battery monitor, power plug and motor cables, but it all fits.

I won't say it's an issue . . . but . . . the naca duct isn't going to do much with a standard 2200 inside -- it'll block most airflow. My BW V1 does get warm in the nose, but I haven't had problems with ESC's going into thermal shutdown in the hot Georgia sun. Low profile 3S2200's might give some airflow, but I'm not sure they'll fit inside at all.

senator63

Bloody Wonder Power Pod Electronics

Thanks Dan, that helps a lot. Do you think the BW will fly decently if you leave the battery outside on the bottom of the fuze after you balance it? I will not be flying combat, just sport.

TK

Gryf

I'd worry about potential damage to the battery if it was mounted outside. Just a thought,

Gryf

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
I made the power pod a little taller to fit a 4s 1300 battery. Play around with the location of the battery, esc and receiver to get the CG right, and then fly! :)

IMG_20140630_185224 (1280x960).jpg