Boeing C17 Globemaster build

Clement

Hey guys. I recently fell in love with the c17 and decided to build one. I am in Nigeria and don't have access to a lot of parts but got to make do with what I have. The plane is built from styrofoam plates for foodstuff. I have attached photos of progree I have made so far. My greatest challenge i that I dont have access to ducted fans so i am planning to build it from scratch. I will build 4 ducted fans.The ducted fans have to be 2.5cm in diameter due to the scale of the planes. I am planning to get 4 motors from a quadcopter and cut the fans from a thin metal plate. The fan motor unit will then be placed inside a cylinder which i will make from styrofoam to serve as the duct. I am however scared that it may not be very efficent and thus not provide enough thrust. Please I need help and ideas guys on how best to make the ducted fans. Many thanks. Awaiting your responses.

Attachments

• IMG_6119.JPG
    IMG_6119.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6120.JPG
    IMG_6120.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6121.JPG
    IMG_6121.JPG
  • IMG_6122.JPG
    IMG_6122.JPG
  • IMG_6153.JPG
    IMG_6153.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6154.JPG
    IMG_6154.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Wingman04

Great looking build!! This is what the Flite Test community is all about; making amazing things out of everyday materials and helping others out!! Good luck!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
It wouldn't be scale but you could try using the power pack H and use the two motors as pusher engines and make some "dummy" engines to replicate the turbines of the real C-17.

Namactual

Elite member
The build looks good so far.(y)

A fan of that size will be a challenge to make, that's for sure. The only thing I have seen close to that size is here...
E-Flight 28mm EDF
There are some cheaper 30mm fans floating around out there, but I would stay away from those. The reviews do not look to promising.

Making your own fans, while not impossible, would be a very hard thing to do. Do you know what size and kv those motors you have are?

Clement

The build looks good so far.(y)

A fan of that size will be a challenge to make, that's for sure. The only thing I have seen close to that size is here...
E-Flight 28mm EDF
There are some cheaper 30mm fans floating around out there, but I would stay away from those. The reviews do not look to promising.

Making your own fans, while not impossible, would be a very hard thing to do. Do you know what size and kv those motors you have are?
Thank you Namactual. No, I dont know the size and KV of the motors as I have not bought the quadcopter yet.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Great use of available materials!

I agree with @Grifflyer and @Namactual. EDFs are less efficient than props and homemade fans are likely to be even less efficient. As a first step I would suggest something similar to @Grifflyer's idea and use two of the quad motors and props you intend to get to start with - just to get you into the air. Once you know it will fly you can further develop the homemade fans knowing you have a working airframe. Keep us posted on the progress.

DamoRC

Namactual

Elite member
Hmm...:unsure:
I just thought of something.

You could easily turn that into an Airbus A400M. The C-17 is almost twice as big, but they do look almost identical and the A400M has props.

Just a thought.