Buidling a FPV Finwing Penguin! -BUILD

Chevrolado

Hey FliteTest guys!! Chevrolado Here, AKA SageHillsPilot. Its a REALLY Snowy, cold afternoon here in Northwestern SouthDakota, So i decided to do a build log on my recent project.

I have a small hobby business building FPV Planes for ranchers to check their cattle and crop growth. i design the planes layout to be easy to fly, while retaining simplicity so when they crash the planes, they can just take the parts in one tray and interchange them into another plane. My latest project is for a guy who wanted something easy to fly, could fly 2 miles, and had return to home built in. naturally i chose the Finwing Penguin, as it is Idiot proof, and i can climb to 1000 feet and glide for what seems like forever. the RVOSD also works out of the box for this plane.

First thing to do was to clean up my work area. its located inside my dads shop above his office. complete with WIFI and sattelite TV, I love what i do :)

20141028_140634.jpg

Since i live in the middle of nowhere, our Fedex has a tendency to leave packages at random houses within a 5 mile radius of the ship to address. after several phone calls to find my "delivered" packages, i needed my truck to haul the packages from the neighbors to the lab. about 2,000 dollars in parts in total!

20141028_140344.jpg

After making sure everything was delivered, i proceeded to test everything. only thing that i had issues with is a pair of Headplay Goggles from Rangevideo. they were DOA and i still yet to hear from them to see if they will correct the issue.. made several calls and emails. two weeks later and no response :(

After testing was done i assembled the plane.
20141028_154140_1.jpg

The no name brand glue was actually really good, i used it to glue the fuselage halves together, as epoxy cracks in the cold and i didn't want hot glue Alligatoring the foam. i however used Hot Glue to assemble everything else, including the motor mount, as the stock stuff seemed too flexible for holding down critical surfaces. I also opted to use Anaerobic loctite on ALL screws, bolts, and moving metal parts, because it is resistant to vibration, cold, and heat, and doesn't lock up screws when you have to replace something.
20141028_174427.jpg

The kit i ordered was the "High Power" version, it came with a 60 amp ESC, Motor with 9X6 prop, and finwing servos. The motor is Sooooooo smooth, the ESC is SUPER high quality, but the servos can use improvement. Im glad i ordered some Hitec MG servos as backup, as the elevator servo stripped out on the second flight. (But i landed it without one, this plane flies so nice it doesnt need a elevator :rolleyes:)

First task was supplying current to the plane. i opted for XT60 connectors as the are idiot proof, and easy to interchange. i soldered the connectors on using a 40 watt iron, and Rosin Core solder. i spent 20 minutes perfecting the joint, as i treat my planes like real ones, the slightest mistake can ruin everything.
Screenshot_2014-11-09-18-27-17[1].png

I then routed all the wires and intalled the RVOSD.
Screenshot_2014-11-09-18-25-33[1].png

Setting up the RVOSD was VERY Easy. Easier than setting up the FRSKY Taranis. Out of the box, my RVOSD worked perfectly after following the RC setup wizard. only change i made was to put it at full throttle in RTH Mode, and change the climbing altitude. Good on you RangeVideo!:cool:

Setting up the Taranis was literally like learning a new language. Being a Spektrum and Futaba guy, the Taranis was not fun at all to set up. if i wasnt on such a deadline, i would have ordered a Futaba T6EXP and been done with it. but after learning the language, i figured it out. I purchased the EZUHF JR module and a Nagoya Whip, the EZUHF was plug and play, no software changes needed. the Taranis runs the EZUHF with the stock NiCad for about a hour before needing a recharge. Really impressive.
Screenshot_2014-11-09-18-34-33[1].png

After fighting with the Taranis i moved to the Video Side of things. I used a 1.2GHZ 800MW Tx from Rangevideo paired with a Saw equipped filter, and a 1.2GHZ Cross hair. ive had good luck with this combo, ive flown 3 miles on really poor antennas, and it doesnt mine being crashed either. the best 1.2Ghz TX Bar none.

Screenshot_2014-11-09-18-38-51[1].png

Since i am a VERY OCD Person, I ALWAYS Solder my connections directly to anything critical to my investment. i cant stand soldering wires onto wires, or extending the length of plug ins. in this case i soldered a Silicone wire wrap and JST connector to minimize interference and help with interchanging units. Years of soldering practice helps, as i was just Millimeters from components that are easily moved around by heat.

I then attached the VTX and Cloverleaf to the plane and used dental floss to keep the connectors tight.
20141029_220004.jpg

Moving to the VRX, i assembled it to be portable and Rancher Proof. Everything here is velcroed on the the Video Aerial Systems RHCP Crosshair. The 3000MAH Lipo runs the VRX for 4 hours safely.
Screenshot_2014-11-09-18-45-46[1].png

I then furbished a pan system for the RMRC 700TVL camera.
20141029_220046.jpg

I also ordered 2 5000MAH 3S Lipos. these little puppies can fly the penguin for 30 minutes. Average current draw at half throttle is 10 amps, and 30 amps at full. my penguin will return to home at half throttle, and the average speed in a 15MPH headwind was 10MPH. it is a VERY efficient system!
20141029_220023.jpg

Me Just tickled pink that im getting paid to build planes!!
20141029_190630.jpg

After several test flights, the plane performed and flew perfect. Heres a OSD View of the plane flying home from 2 miles away.
1390659_718849644873180_3380609048902663333_n.jpg

and the finished product, that was crashed 3 flights after the owner came to try it out.. I ordered three new planes and im building one to replace it for him now :)
1794532_718764668215011_5426630624519559461_n.jpg

I Hope you all enjoyed my Build, overall the project took 2 weeks to complete, most of the time was spent setting up the stupid Taranis!! :)

Stay safe my Freinds!