Can anyone bring an Oscilloscope?

bitogre

I am working on a project involving a ATMel328P (the processor on an Arduino Uno but removed from the Uno) and WS2812B LED strips that I want to put into a FT Cruiser. I'm having some problems getting things to work reliably and would like to see what the waveform the WS2812B is seeing.

I know it is unlikely but I am hoping someone can bring an Oscilloscope to Flite Fest so I can debug my issue. Thanks.

Mytchak

KG5CZA
Haha - I have a Fluke Scope Meter that I was not planning on brining. However, I can throw it in my bags if you wish. My check in is bag is already WAAY over the 60 pound 'free limit'. So adding a scope meter isn't that big of a deal. I do hope it will be use more than once though!

-David

bitogre

Haha - I have a Fluke Scope Meter that I was not planning on brining. However, I can throw it in my bags if you wish. My check in is bag is already WAAY over the 60 pound 'free limit'. So adding a scope meter isn't that big of a deal. I do hope it will be use more than once though!

-David

I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Mytchak

KG5CZA
Scope is packed.

Anyone - If you need access to an oscilloscope, I'll have one - Please hunt me down ( I will be volunteering so ask one of the volunteers ).

Bitogre ( or anyone for that matter ), send me a PM and I'll give you my cell number.

-David

Last edited:

Mytchak

KG5CZA
If you're dealing with analog or PWM signals, it gives you a visual representation of the being waveforms generated. It also serves as a multimeter. Very useful tool to have.

Bitogre - I'll also have my computer with the Arduino compiler on it. If you have your source, we can debug at FF.

Last edited:

bitogre

If you're dealing with analog or PWM signals, it gives you a visual representation of the being waveforms generated. It also serves as a multimeter. Very useful tool to have.

Bitogre - I'll also have my computer with the Arduino compiler on it. If you have your source, we can debug at FF.

earthsciteach, I need it to debug a project I am working on to put addressable LED strips onto a FT Cruiser. My wife wants me to do sky writing in lights. Not really going to be visible with the naked eye but visible with long exposure photography. My primary plan is to tie the light to G Sensor to give me a Turn and slip indicator so I can learn how to do coordinated turns. There are any number of other nifty light displays I can do with addressable LEDs (like Cylon Raider light chasing sequence).

Mytchak, I will be bringing my own computer with the Arduino IDE and Atmel Studio on it. I will also be bring an Atmel MKII ISP, a Arduino Uno, 5 additional ATMega328P chips, and extra LED Strips. I am looking forward to meeting you and grateful for the use of the oscilloscope. Let me know if there is anything I can do to thank you.

bitogre

More of that fancy electron stuff. I may hunt you guys down for a tutorial!

Sure thing, I'd be happy to teach you and anyone else what ever I can. I know more than most but not as much as others. I do have a Computer Engineering degree (a combination of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering) which may or may not make me an authoritative figure on electronics, especially in terms of the uses of electronics on RC aircraft.

I am far from an authoritative figure but I'll be more than happy to share what I know.

-David

You have a Fluke Multimeter Oscilloscope and are not an authoritative figure? Most people with a Fluke Multimeter Oscilloscope usually have a job that would normally make the an authoritative figure. There has got to be an interesting reason for this discrepancy.

Mytchak

KG5CZA
You have a Fluke Multimeter Oscilloscope and are not an authoritative figure? Most people with a Fluke Multimeter Oscilloscope usually have a job that would normally make the an authoritative figure. There has got to be an interesting reason for this discrepancy.

I make ALOT of stuff. Have a degree in EE but my day job is enterprise software architecture. So I'm *very* rusty. Which is why I made the disclaimer. Would love to meet you and chat about your project. I love bulb exposures - lots of fun.

-David

bitogre

I make ALOT of stuff. Have a degree in EE but my day job is enterprise software architecture. So I'm *very* rusty. Which is why I made the disclaimer. Would love to meet you and chat about your project. I love bulb exposures - lots of fun.

-David

Ok, looks like you have the same, if not more, experience than I do and definitely more training (EE beats CPE when it come to electronic device design). I too am pretty rusty but it is coming back very quickly for me. So I find it odd that you would not call yourself an authority when I think I could very well be an authority on general topic when compared to a majority of RC Hobbyist. Maybe my concept of what an authority to the Hobby is lower than what you consider.

I'd love to share what I am doing with as many people as possible and help others do similar projects. But to do so, I need my project to be completed successfully. I may use a different LED strip next time due to the difficulty of writing to the ones I am using but these are cheaper which is why I selected the LED strips I did.

Be happy to discuss this with you or anyone else at Flite Fest. Who knows, someone might have some good ideas to make improvements on my project and make it work more reliably with the cheaper LED strips.

Looking forward to meet you and everyone else at Flite Fest.

Mytchak

KG5CZA
I have very high expectations from someone that carries an 'Authoritative' title. Enterprise Software Architecture - I'd say I am an authoritative figure. On electronic design - not so much. Too much trial and error in my opinion. Although I have a firm grasp, I have had one too many of my creations catch on fire ;)

-David

bitogre

I have very high expectations from someone that carries an 'Authoritative' title. Enterprise Software Architecture - I'd say I am an authoritative figure. On electronic design - not so much. Too much trial and error in my opinion. Although I have a firm grasp, I have had one too many of my creations catch on fire ;)

-David

Yes, we may not be an authority in an enterprise environment but there is a huge difference between the an enterprise environment and a hobby environment. A novice in the enterprise can be an expert on the same topic in the hobby. It is all relative. Even novices in an enterprise environment can have a massive impact on the industry (like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and/or Mark Zuckerberg).

So, don't underestimate the value of your knowledge to the attendees of Flite Fest or the others in the hobby. Also, feel free to let people know when you are guessing or giving information you may not be completely sure of. Even information about how something you did failed can be very useful on what not to do.