Catch the prize? Entry for flying club Christmas competition

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
A couple of weeks ago my flying club announced an impromptu competition. Fly a plane which is in the style of the cartoon Wacky Races / Catch the Pidgeon.
Well, that sounded like a challange I wanted to try. So I got down to watching some cartoons (errr. research).
So throwing together some foamboard, a couple of motors and servos and a touch of carbon fiber and 3D printed thingys, I came up with this.
Maiden tomorrow or Sunday :)
With video of course....
IMG_20211210_180447888.jpg IMG_20211210_180526266.jpg IMG_20211210_180548091.jpg IMG_20211210_180604370.jpg
Wish me luck :D

Last edited:

Hoomi

Master member
Those were amusing cartoons.

"Muttley, you snickering, floppy-eared hound,
When courage is needed, you're never around!
Those medals you wear on your flea-bitten chest,
Should be there for bumbling, at which you are best!"

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Those were amusing cartoons.

"Muttley, you snickering, floppy-eared hound,
When courage is needed, you're never around!
Those medals you wear on your flea-bitten chest,
Should be there for bumbling, at which you are best!"
Tomorrow/Sunday should be "fun". I really hope it flies, even if not well :)

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Dick D flew, not great as I made the mistake of fitting the wrong velcro tape in the fuse so the both it and the battery were the loop part. This caused the battery to slip rearwards on launch and I was struggling to fly a very rearward CofG. Thankfully I got it back to ground with only minor chin damage :)
Main flights tomorrow!
I got it videoed and will put this dodgy maiden along with it's proper flights that will happen tomorrow.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
That is AWESOME!!! Whacky Racers was one of my favorite after school cartoons. Whacky Racers , Speed Racer, Penelope Pitt Stop, THEN came Ultraman. THEN the bestest of all cartoons.... Star Blazers!! The worlds first soap opera for kids. I would LOVE to come up with an actual flying model of the Yamato

L Edge

Master member
Not in this model

Was going to suggest to you to try and design a transport and shuttle system(glide down, no power) that you can drop. That is why I asked if you have 2 different radio/receivers.

Another system you can do by yourself is to purchase a Guillow's foam space shuttle and weigh the nose and one wing with tape so when you release it, it will spiral down and land. Fun is trying to drop it so it lands near you.

If you can fly your design, you should be able to figure out this one so the release mechanism allows the Shuttle clearance of the tail. Really is a show stopper once you have everything tuned. Up for the challenge?

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Was going to suggest to you to try and design a transport and shuttle system(glide down, no power) that you can drop. That is why I asked if you have 2 different radio/receivers.

Another system you can do by yourself is to purchase a Guillow's foam space shuttle and weigh the nose and one wing with tape so when you release it, it will spiral down and land. Fun is trying to drop it so it lands near you.

If you can fly your design, you should be able to figure out this one so the release mechanism allows the Shuttle clearance of the tail. Really is a show stopper once you have everything tuned. Up for the challenge?
So....your challenging me to do something an x-1 or x-15 plane dropped from another plane?