Cheap camera for getting started

kore99

Hey all- I've been flying for a number of years, but very infrequently and usually unsuccessfully. My old Slow Stick is no longer functioning, but I'm going to build a Simple Cub here soon (with an Aura 5).

When the slow stick died, so did my old 808 keychain camera. So I'd like to find a new cheap camera I can stick on the plane. I'm afraid I haven't figured out the terminology to find what I'm looking for. Not FPV, just something to record on a microSD. And cheap because of the likelihood of future crashes. Anyone have any recommendations?

MacandRita

I have just bought an SQ11 camera for this very purpose. It has a rechargeable battery, takes a micro Sd card and connects to a computer with a USB cable included. Probably less than an inch square and only weighs 9gms. It has 2 resolution settings including 1080 hd. I have tried it out around the yard and it works fine. The 12 and 13 have a slightly wider lens and are also reasonably cheap.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I have one of the sq12's I use occasionally and they record pretty clean. Their only drawback is they lose sync with sound some times but we dump most flight sounds for music anyways as wind noise and motor vibrations don't seem to entertain as well hehe.

kore99

Thanks everyone. I ordered an SQ11 to play with. If things go well I'll upgrade to something more like a Q6 later. I can a normal gopro, but it's too heavy and expensive for right now.