Checking in with the control tower!

Akurion

Hey folks,

I took the plunge a few weeks ago and started building my first model, an FT Sparrow. My starter kit, with the motor and servos and controller, won't arrive for another week or so, so I'm limited to using this thing as a chuck glider, but I can't wait to turn it into a full-up RC aircraft. Everything about this hobby -- designing, building, painting and flying -- has me excited in that can't-wait-for-the-weekend way.

Here's the Sparrow, unpowered for now, but just waiting for its power pack to arrive in the mail:

Sparrow Complete.jpg

There's a lot for me to learn about electronics, controls and flying. Super excited for Spring and good flying weather to arrive!

-John

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Love that snakeskin effect! Very nicely done!

If you haven't flown any RC planes before, be aware the Sparrow is a twitchy little beast and not the easiest to learn on. You certainly can - especially with some simulator time first - but I'd also recommend building up a FT Tiny Trainer which can use the same electronics as the Sparrow as a good plane to get going on too. The big difference is with a Tiny Trainer if it starts to get a little sketchy in the air, throttling down and letting go of the sticks will let the plane right itself and level out (if there is enough altitude). With the Sparrow, not so much :)

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Hello John,

I like that effect you did with the laundry bag.

Where in the world will you be flying that Sparrow? How did you get into the hobby?

Welcome to the forum.
-Jim

Morgan

Just spray paint. Used blue and yellow for the base coat, then used a mesh laundry bag as a mask and applied the red snakeskin pattern.

I have never done a paint job that extensive so it is very impressive to me ☺

kdobson83

I agree with above, the sparrow is harder bird to tame. Beware, they are notoriously tail heavy. I learned the basics on the FT Flyer and moved up to the Tiny Trainer. My suggestion would be to start with the Tiny Trainer with the 3 channel wing and once your comfortable, slap the 4 channel on it. I loved my Tiny Trainer, they are so versatile. 3 or 4 channel, landing gear or belly lander, flapperons if wanted. I even added a bomb drop on mine and dropped parachute guys for my son to catch.

Anyway, what ever your choice, good luck.

Akurion

Yeah, I plan to start flying with the Tiny Trainer that comes with the starter kit, then work my way up to a Simple Soarer once I get the basics of flight down. Only then will I look to convert this little bird into an RC flyer.

As for location, I'm in Japan with the US Air Force. I can fly on base in certain areas, but I'd like to look for larger places off base as well. Does anyone here know much about drone laws in Japan? Need to start researching!

Casey

Dude, that paint job is seriously legit. I am a little envious but also inspired. I wouldn't have ever thought to use a laundry bag as a mask.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Yeah, I plan to start flying with the Tiny Trainer that comes with the starter kit, then work my way up to a Simple Soarer once I get the basics of flight down. Only then will I look to convert this little bird into an RC flyer.

As for location, I'm in Japan with the US Air Force. I can fly on base in certain areas, but I'd like to look for larger places off base as well. Does anyone here know much about drone laws in Japan? Need to start researching!
My son just transferred from Misawa. Where about are you at? I can ask him where he flew. His country of his new duty station restricts him basically to within the home, nothing outdoors.

Akurion

My son just transferred from Misawa. Where about are you at? I can ask him where he flew. His country of his new duty station restricts him basically to within the home, nothing outdoors.

Yokota AB, in Tokyo. I've looked up the Japanese laws and they don't seem too draconian -- about the same as the new FAA regulations, in fact, though they don't require registration of drones over 250 grams.

I hope his new duty station isn't Korea -- I'm headed there this summer, and I want to be able to fly!