Cleanflight troubleshooting FlySky FS-T6 (TX) / FS-R6B (RX)

Howdy Fellow Forum Members,

I'm attempting to use a FlySky FS-T6 TX with bound FS-R6B RX on a new build (VDQ210), and having trouble with getting it to work properly in Cleanflight (Naze32 Acro FC).

The current responses in Cleanflight's "Receiver" tab are as follows:

ROLL - no response: fixed at 1500
PITCH - no response: fixed at 1500
YAW - no response: fixed at 1500
THROTTLE - jittery, no response: stuck at 885
AUX 1 - jittery, no response: stuck at 1007
AUX 2 - jittery, no response: stuck 1007
AUX 3 - responds correctly to yaw input
AUX 4 - responds correctly to throttle input

I'm guessing that FlySky requires some sort of adjustment in Receiver Mode or Serial Receiver Provider; I'm not familiar with tweaking either of these, if so. Or I have some bad physical connections somewhere.

Any points in the right direction wold be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
Are you trying to use PPM(aka CPPM)? If so, as far as I know the FS-R6B RX does not support PPM out and you have to connect each of the RX channels separately to the FC as PWM channel inputs.

Thanks; that's a great point that I failed to mention. No, I'm running PWM, and I have channels 1-6 properly plugged into the receiver from the Naze control pins. I also have "RX_PARALLEL_PWM" selected in "Receiver Mode" in Cleanflight.

pressalltheknobs

On the T6 I think the Channels are pre-assigned a AETR for channel 1-4

So if the throttle stick moves AUX 4 in Cleanflight and the Rudder moves AUX 3, it sounds like you have some wiring wrong.

Or possibly if Cleanflight has channel mapping (I don't know if it does) the order is wrong there.

Note: AETR = Aileron, Elevator, Throttle, Rudder. If you have a mode 2 tx then A-E are roll-pitch on the right stick and T-R are Throttle-yaw on the left stick.

Last edited:
On the T6 I think the Channels are pre-assigned a AETR for channel 1-4

So if the throttle stick moves AUX 4 in Cleanflight and the Rudder moves AUX 3, it sounds like you have some wiring wrong.

Or possibly if Cleanflight has channel mapping (I don't know if it does) the order is wrong there.

Note: AETR = Aileron, Elevator, Throttle, Rudder. If you have a mode 1 tx then A-E are roll-pitch on the right stick and T-R are Throttle-yaw on the left stick.

Thanks for the reply. Still no more progress; but you helped me double check some things.

Cleanflight does have preset options for channel mapping 1.) Default (AETR1234), 2.) Futaba/Hitec (AETR1234), and 3.) JR/Spektrum/Graupner (TAER1234). But no matter which I select, I'm getting the same results.

My initial sight inspection of the command pin area of the Naze32 shows I'm following the diagram properly (ground, positive, signal, ch 1, ch 2, [underside, directly below] ch 3, ch 4, ch 5, ch 6]. Will remove FC from the stack, and examine solder joints next.

SOLVED

With some help from a programmer on the GitHub.com posts on Cleanflight, I finally figured out that FlySky has it’s own proprietary input order when interfacing with a Naze32's input stack, and within Cleanflight. This required me to channel map in Cleanflight as "4321AETR," and then reverse the order on the RX (from 1-6 to 6-1). A little complex (and seemingly redundant), but now she's ship shape.

pressalltheknobs

Glad you got it working. btw I meant "If you have a mode 2" tx Not mode 1. Sorry if that caused any confusion.

Sounds very odd to me though. Ch1-4 in the FlySky i6 are AETR and that is what will come out of the receiver. This is a fairly common channel configuration and not particularly proprietary to FlySky. I'm sure they are the same in the T6. I don't see how the order or position would change just because you connected a Naze board to the receiver so I'm missing something from the explanation.

Did you perhaps have the 4 Aux channels 1234 hooked to the RX channels 1-4? AETR should be the RX channels 1-4 and the aux channels 1234 should be the RX channels 5-8. At least that's what I think it means.

Bnomadman

I'm working on my Quad as well, with FlySky and Naze32 (version 6). I pretty much followed the build video (had to move ESC to fit the version 6 Naze). All TX inputs display correctly in Cleanflight and I can manually rev up all 4 motors. However, unless I set a channel to ARM, I can't get my TX to do anything once I disconnect from Cleanflight. With the ARM set, only three motors run until I get up near full power, then the 4th kicks in. I've switched ESC positions and this switches which motor is slow to start. So two questions I need to figure out is 1. why is one motor not spinning up with the others and 2. why won't my radio talk to my Quad unless I setup and ARM switch. I'm brand new to Quads and Naze32 builds, so if you guys have any ideas I'd sure appreciate it.

pressalltheknobs

I'm working on my Quad as well, with FlySky and Naze32 (version 6). I pretty much followed the build video (had to move ESC to fit the version 6 Naze). All TX inputs display correctly in Cleanflight and I can manually rev up all 4 motors. However, unless I set a channel to ARM, I can't get my TX to do anything once I disconnect from Cleanflight. With the ARM set, only three motors run until I get up near full power, then the 4th kicks in. I've switched ESC positions and this switches which motor is slow to start. So two questions I need to figure out is 1. why is one motor not spinning up with the others and 2. why won't my radio talk to my Quad unless I setup and ARM switch. I'm brand new to Quads and Naze32 builds, so if you guys have any ideas I'd sure appreciate it.

I don't think CleanFlight supports rev6 Naze32 yet. At least that has been a problem. You may have to use Baseflight for the time being. Check if there is a new version of CleanFlight that says it supports Naz32 rev 6.

Bnomadman

Thanks for the fast reply. I'll take a look. I've found sites saying there are hex files you have to download to use rev 6. I've also found a site saying that the latest version supports rev 6. I tried reading through the update notes but it is quite a list so I don't know for sure. Like I said, everything looks like it is working while connected to Cleanflight, and stops working when I disconnect. I may try Baseflight just to see. I found another reference saying I needed to wire the sbus to pin 4 instead of pin 1 on the version 6 board. I'll try that if all other options fail, I don't currently have the hardware to make a pig tail in that configuration and I'm not wild about soldering the wires directly to the pins. Thanks again.

pressalltheknobs

S.bus is specific to FrSky and Futaba. It is not supported by Turnigy V2/FlySky AFHDS. The new i series AFHDS2A FlySky stuff has something called i-bus which is similar to s-bus but not the same. I hear there may be some support for i-bus in some version of the FC software but it may only be in development branches.

If you have old Turnigy V2/FlySky AFHDS stuff you will have to connect the receiver channels to the flight controller with separate wires since none of the serial protocols CPPM, S.Bus or i-bus are supported.

Bnomadman

I have a Flysky FS-T6 that is little less than a year old. My search result may have turned up a FrSky and I didn't notice. Thanks for the clarification. I pulled the receiver out of the quad and put it back into a plane to make sure I didn't have a radio problem, all works fine. I downloaded Baseflight, but will need to find an instructional video. I think I'm going to go ahead an order a version 5 Naze to see if that fixes this. Sometimes when I reconnect to the PC, my configuration is toast and I have to reload from the backup. I'm starting to suspect that Cleanflight is not saving correctly to my board.

pressalltheknobs

Yeah the old FlySky stuff is still sold. FS-CT6B, FS-T6, FS-TH9X etc, and their various Turnigy equivalents are the old AFHDS (aka Turnigy V2) radio system. So it doesn't have to be old to be "old" unfortunately.

Bnomadman

Thanks, it sounds like my problem has been found. I'm not sure how to wire this up as you mention above, so it may be time to invest a bit more $ on a newer system.

pressalltheknobs

You use PWM mode (instead of CPPM/ S-bus). You just have to connect each individual channel from the RX to the Flight controller and tell the flight controller to expect that by saying that port is PWM. It just involves lots of wires, generally a +5 and ground and one signal wire for each channel used. The +5 goes to the +5 power bus (center pins) on the receiver, the gnd goes to the -ve power bus on the receiver and each of the signal wires go to the appropriate channel signal pin. For a NAZE 32 rev 5 board the RX signal pins exit to the left looking from the top.

Here's the manual for rev3-rev5. It seems there is no update yet for rev6 so you have map the old features on the new layout.
http://www.abusemark.com/downloads/naze32_rev3.pdf

[2] RC Input / Servo Output (CPPM / PWM) / GPS connector

You need to configure this in baseflight/cleanflight as PWM in and set the channel order appropriately. The GPS in and servo out features need to be disabled on this port. They probably are by default.

For rev 5, GND, +5, 1, 2, 3 are pads on top and 4,5,6,7,8 are pads on the bottom of the board. For a rev 6 it looks like the've changed from pads to through hole and they are in a line along the left hand side of the board from front to back GND, +5, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

The channel order matters on a T6. I believe it is AETR for ch1-4 respectively and for the NAZE32 it's also AIL, ELE, THR, RUD, for pins 1-4 respectively by default. You will need to decide if you want to connect CH5 to 5 and CH6 to 6 depending which switch you use for mode on your TX and what the baseflight/cleanflight lets you configure.

As I understand it...

RX CH1 A = AILeron = roll Naze32 pwm input 1
RX CH2 E = ELEvator = pitch Naze32 pwm input 2
RX CH3 T = THRottle = throttle Naze32 pwm input 3
RX CH4 R = RUDder = yaw Naze32 pwm input 4

The OP was having some trouble with this mapping and solved his problem but I didn't understand his explanation so its possible I'm missing something.

time_cop

What to do if all my yaw,roll, etc are under AUX

You use PWM mode (instead of CPPM/ S-bus). You just have to connect each individual channel from the RX to the Flight controller and tell the flight controller to expect that by saying that port is PWM. It just involves lots of wires, generally a +5 and ground and one signal wire for each channel used. The +5 goes to the +5 power bus (center pins) on the receiver, the gnd goes to the -ve power bus on the receiver and each of the signal wires go to the appropriate channel signal pin. For a NAZE 32 rev 5 board the RX signal pins exit to the left looking from the top.

Here's the manual for rev3-rev5. It seems there is no update yet for rev6 so you have map the old features on the new layout.
http://www.abusemark.com/downloads/naze32_rev3.pdf

[2] RC Input / Servo Output (CPPM / PWM) / GPS connector

You need to configure this in baseflight/cleanflight as PWM in and set the channel order appropriately. The GPS in and servo out features need to be disabled on this port. They probably are by default.

For rev 5, GND, +5, 1, 2, 3 are pads on top and 4,5,6,7,8 are pads on the bottom of the board. For a rev 6 it looks like the've changed from pads to through hole and they are in a line along the left hand side of the board from front to back GND, +5, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

The channel order matters on a T6. I believe it is AETR for ch1-4 respectively and for the NAZE32 it's also AIL, ELE, THR, RUD, for pins 1-4 respectively by default. You will need to decide if you want to connect CH5 to 5 and CH6 to 6 depending which switch you use for mode on your TX and what the baseflight/cleanflight lets you configure.

As I understand it...

RX CH1 A = AILeron = roll Naze32 pwm input 1
RX CH2 E = ELEvator = pitch Naze32 pwm input 2
RX CH3 T = THRottle = throttle Naze32 pwm input 3
RX CH4 R = RUDder = yaw Naze32 pwm input 4

The OP was having some trouble with this mapping and solved his problem but I didn't understand his explanation so its possible I'm missing something.

Can You please help what to do if all my roll,yaw,pitch, etc are under AUX section in CleanFlight ?
I have been trying changing order as sugested and use 4321AETR but nothing change all still under AUX's

Regards

pressalltheknobs

need to know a little more about you setup like
NAZE REV5 or 6? Using PWM? What RX channels are wired to what NAZE pins? What settings in Cleanflight?

time_cop

need to know a little more about you setup like
NAZE REV5 or 6? Using PWM? What RX channels are wired to what NAZE pins? What settings in Cleanflight?

Sorry Im new with those things..

My racer is made of:

zmr-x210 frame
SP Racing F3 Flight Controler
DYS SE2205 motors
LittleBee ESC 30A
and Im trying using my "old" radio from the previous quad Eachine Falcon 250 - FlySky i6 with FlySky FS-IA6-2 receiver.

I got PWM setup.

1.jpg 2.jpg
20160709_083843 (Medium).jpg