Cloverleaf/Skew planar wheel for RC link control?

Longbaorder23

Hey all
Ive got my Frsky module coming soon, to be used in a T9X. Some people claim massive range with Frsky, others claim profound range issues. Although, i have seen online that all of the people with range problems who modified their transmitters and receivers antennas to be CIRCULARLY polarized, had significant improvement. I plan to fly short range fpv later, and also use Frsky equipment to run my 3D plane, so not much range requirements on the 3D. I do not have an fpv system, nor a receiver compatible with RSSI. It seems like a very simple job to add circular antennas. Ive built one set so far, but untested. Can i use something like the hobbyking 2.4 circular set made for video, on my RC link?
here is one of the antennas in question:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...ular_Polarized_Antenna_RP_SMA_Set_Short_.html

Is it possible for me to buy SMA connectors that will connect to those, and attach those antennas to my transmitter and receiver? Thanks for the help!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I would give the stock set a go first so you can directly compare the two. I've not run into any range issue so far with my Frsky equipment. You might find that you don't need anything...
If you do decide to add the CP, the connectors should be available, but be sure they are the correct version as both SMA and RP-SMA are out there now. The CP's you linked look like RP-SMA. You definitely don't want to mix the 2.

Longbaorder23

Thanks for the fast reply! But do you find the idea of building DIY CP for my system a feasible option if need be? My short range fpv will be flying on the edges of loss of sight. Just beyond that. That's all I plan to do for quite some time. Although, like you said I will give stock antennas a go. If I was to add CP, doesn't the antennas I linked to have 2 contacts in connector? Doesnt a single receiver wire of the two on a frsky receiver only have one part? What would I connect to the adaptor which would be attached to the antenna? If that made sense. My question is, how would I change out the current receiving wires for the antenna? How would I make it fit and work? Thanks!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
The Frsky module that goes into the radio would work directly with the antenna you linked, as it is RP-SMA also. The Rx side is another matter since they look to have a really tiny coax connector that snaps to the Rx board. I have no idea what connector it is but have read that it's the same as on an OrangeRx 620, if that helps any...

Longbaorder23

how would I go about attaching the antenna to the rx? remove the whole wire off the receiver? ive found adaptors that adapt from the tiny coax cable to SMA or RP SMA. would those work? Thanks!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Yes it should work if you have the right adapter. And if you build the antennas, you can just use whatever connector you want, to go with the mini coax on the Rx.

Longbaorder23

oh. so ive been quite overthinking this then! it is actually much simpler than i had imagined. thanks! Ill buy or make some antennas and hook them up, give em a go.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Once you have figured out the connector that plugs into the board, plan on using either that or an adapter to go from there to whatever other connector a pre-made antenna uses, and plan accordingly. Nice thing is, since it's a plug and not soldered, it should be easy to swap between them for testing.

Longbaorder23

thats a good point as well! once i get my Frsky stuff in ill look into more options. but its stuck in California for some reason for multiple days...