Convert master series plans

Aust1n

How difficult is it to amend plans for the master series planes. Controversially I want to make a low back mk16 spitfire based on the master series plans just don’t know where to start and wondered if anyone had succeed with it or the p-47 and had tips
thanks

mastermalpass

Elite member
I haven't got very far into my master series Spitfire, so I haven't got too much experience in this - but I too plan to tweak the design a little.

I want to put a transparent canopy on mine which will be cutting through a section of the spine. I plan to make a (slightly shorter) copy of the former that joins the tail section of the fuselage to the mid section, that will hold the spine, just aft of my canopy, in the way the original former does and hopefully have the same strength.

The challenge you have, is sussing out the shape of foam that wraps around the tail section. The template for mid section will provide a hint on the width of the foam piece at that end - but the curve will need to be a different shape in order to get the angle right.

Clipping the wings (if you're going for the low-altitude variant) and boxing out the bonnet for the griffon engine will be easier mods. Are you gonna give it a four-bladed prop? :)

Aust1n

I’d be really interested to see how the transparent canopy works out. Will you be marking a mock cockpit inside?
I’ve not really given much thought to the details, I made a tropical mk5 out of balsa years ago and haven’t flown it 1 because I’m to scared after all the work to make it and 2 it’s so bloody nose heavy I think it will plummet to the ground quicker than the proverbial lead balloon. This is the main reason for the mk16 idea to actually have a spitfire I can fly

mastermalpass

Elite member
I’d be really interested to see how the transparent canopy works out. Will you be marking a mock cockpit inside?
I’ve not really given much thought to the details, I made a tropical mk5 out of balsa years ago and haven’t flown it 1 because I’m to scared after all the work to make it and 2 it’s so bloody nose heavy I think it will plummet to the ground quicker than the proverbial lead balloon. This is the main reason for the mk16 idea to actually have a spitfire I can fly

I won't be doing much detail on the interior, but I am going to cut a hole into the fuselage mid section where the cockpit would be and paint the inside green. I'm considering placing my action cam where the pilot would sit. Hopefully that doesn't make it tail heavy.

The balsa Mk.V trop sounds awesome - any pics? :)