Covering with kraft paper question

I covered an old half finished fuselage just to see how I would like kraft paper covering. It turned out well and I grabbed a cheap can of walmart spray paint to see what it would look like finished. Well that paint doesn't cover well and it would take several coats to look right. The brown paper is hard to cover with paint due to it's dark color. My question is "would white butcher paper or something like it soak up the polyurethane the same as kraft paper? I haven't tried brown paper bag material but it is a lot thicker than the paper I got at walmart. I highly recommend this covering as it reminds me of the silk and dope covering of days gone by. Now howto cover the stab and rudder to look as good? I made a turtle deck out of insulation foam and covered it and am very pleased with the outcome. Has anyone tried to cover a wing or stab. Peter didn't recommend it but wasn't clear as to why.

DDSFlyer

I too would like to know. Plus which actual paper did he buy from Walmart. I want to try this on my next build

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
I have used "gift wrap paper" popular for xmas ;-)
It is really strong when glued and dried on a wing.
It seems a little thinner and lighter than "kraft paper" and you can find it in almost any color or motif.

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
gift wrap paper is used on kites so it should be strong enough to help foam board.

another one is onion skin paper. it's light but strong because it has long fibers.

brian79cj

I would be concerned with Butcher's paper. I seem to remember that it has a waxy feel. Might not soak in very well. My 2 cents