Foam board 3mm (1/8th inch)

Caguess75

Help! I’m looking for 3mm (1/8inch) foam board with paper that can peel off like the FliteTest foam board or the dollar store foam board. I ordered a pack of 3mm foam on Amazon and it had a thin laminated covering on both sides that is a nightmare to take off! You also can’t paint on it either! I think it’s some kind of baking board?? See photo below! If you know where I can get board this size with paper, please advise! Thanks!
IMG_0153.jpeg

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Walmart has a new line of FB, called pen & gear. They have 2 types, regular & ultra strong. My recollection the ultra strong is about 1/8 inch thick. Here is another post

Caguess75

Walmart has a new line of FB, called pen & gear. They have 2 types, regular & ultra strong. My recollection the ultra strong is about 1/8 inch thick. Here is another post

Hello Merv... that Pen and Gear foam board is 3/16 not 1/8" Thanks though! I didn't think it would be that hard to find 1/8 inch thick foam that I could peel the paper off. It's for a smaller aircraft.

Shurik-1960

I buy ceiling tiles without a pattern (white or blue) and if you need a large size: cut the edges and glue butt. This is great stuff .I've been using it for over 10 years. In Russia, all ceiling tiles are from Europe.

ray574

I ordered foam board from the Dollar Store supplier, Adams. Also I ordered some Elmer's foam board in original size and in half inch from Elmer's company online. Walmart has it most of the time, but I also received sheets that had not been bumped around by customers in the stores. Good luck.

Old and rusty

The only foam board I've used in models is the Adams dollar tree type. Are other types, like the FT brown foam board easier to work with, or any sturdier. Also is the Adams foam board 3mm?

quorneng

Master member
I am very fortunate that my local hobby shop in the UK stocks 3 & 6 mm Depron full size sheets.
Depron is Expanded Polystyrene (XPS) but does not have a paper backing however the way it is produced does give it a slightly denser smoother "skin". This makes it quite a bit more rigid than a ceiling tile or sheet sliced from block XPS.
The original Depron, it is no longer produced, had a rather denser skin making it ever more rigid.
The rigidity of Depron, even the modern type, means with the right techniques that it can be used structurally.
A structure with a 3mm Depron skin can be strong enough with just a Depron internal structure without needing any further reinforcement.
This Bombardier Dash 8 fuselage is basically a hollow tube of grey 3mm Depron with close spaced 3mm Depron frames.
FuseFormCmplt.jpg

The complete painted fuselage with wing mount, fin, tail plane and servos is 6" diameter and 77" long but only weighs 12 oz
fuseCmplt.JPG

Hard to imagine a lighter way of making it.
Just for interest there is nothing in the fuselage. The motors, ESCs and LiPos are in the nacelles. The receiver is in the wing.

bisco

Elite member
Help! I’m looking for 3mm (1/8inch) foam board with paper that can peel off like the FliteTest foam board or the dollar store foam board. I ordered a pack of 3mm foam on Amazon and it had a thin laminated covering on both sides that is a nightmare to take off! You also can’t paint on it either! I think it’s some kind of baking board?? See photo below! If you know where I can get board this size with paper, please advise! Thanks! View attachment 240188
have you tried any of the techniques to remove the paper?> search

gordynic

I've no posted on F/T fora few years , but now back in the building saddle again

for UK members who want depron , Try B&Q

Diall Polystyrene 6mm Insulation board (L)0.8m (W)0.6m, Pack of 8
https://www.diy.com/departments/dia...-board-l-0-8m-w-0-6m-pack-of-8/1906880_BQ.prd
£16.55
https://www.diy.com/departments/dia...-board-l-0-8m-w-0-6m-pack-of-8/1906880_BQ.prd
it is very close to original depron maybe a bit softer and not such a shiny outer surface , but very usable IMHOhttps://www.diy.com/departments/dia...-board-l-0-8m-w-0-6m-pack-of-8/1906880_BQ.prd