CranialRectosis' Twitchity Mini-Hex build

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I have spares and I have replaced the torched ESC and motor and re-synched the ESCs from Baseflight.

I'm pretty gun shy right now though.... I don't wanna connect the lipo again.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Any suggestions?

Knitting? Maybe Crochet? Really it's kind of relaxing and needs to break free from the old lady stigma, I made my daughter a neat scarf last year :D

Seriously though - I'm impressed with your perseverance given the difficulties you've had with the KISSes. I'm really at a loss as to what could be causing you to have so many issues.

Is your house built on a burial mound? Have you been kicking puppies or stealing candy from kids lately?

Sorry - I just can't think of anything that hasn't been covered already so the best I can do is try to cheer you up :D

I know you've got a good soldering station that should be ESD safe...but have you considered trying another? Maybe a grounded ESD wristband? What kind of work surface are you working on again? The only serious possibility I keep coming back to is an ESD issue given your climate. But honestly even that seems like a stretch. I admit around here static isn't a big deal (heck I have a hard time getting balloons to stick to the wall after rubbing them on my head here!) but even back in Ohio where I couldn't change my position on a couch without getting a zap I was soldering ESD sensitive components with a non ESD safe ungrounded iron on less than idea work surfaces without any problems. So I've always been a bit (ok, totally) lax about ESD precautions even though I know I should be better about them.

Maybe one of your neighbors is into voodoo and doesn't like you flying in your yard? I can picture them now in their basement with a little fabric doll version of your multi and putting it in their microwave trying to curse you :D

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
That's exactly what i was thinking about. Perhaps scaling down and increasing the RPM doesn't help with detecting the sweet spot. But after seeing how they balanced the bells, I'm fairly sure something like this has to exist too. They wouldn't just put epoxy in there by trial and error as we do with stickers...

I remember e_lm_70's tool. It's a nice helper to measure vibration at specific speeds and makes it easier, but it's still not as sophisticated as it should be :)

e_lm_70's setup is a good start...but IIRC even he admits in that thread that it could be taken to the next step and tied into the ESC to determine exactly where on the motor/prop system the weight needs to be added and with the right math it could even estimate how much weight.

I personally haven't found balancing my props to make enough difference to be worth it most of the time. But unbalanced motors suck :) The tech is out there, just need someone to package it up and make it user friendly. Would love to be able to fully dynamically balance my motor/prop setups quickly and easily.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Knitting? Maybe Crochet? Really it's kind of relaxing and needs to break free from the old lady stigma, I made my daughter a neat scarf last year :D

Seriously though - I'm impressed with your perseverance given the difficulties you've had with the KISSes. I'm really at a loss as to what could be causing you to have so many issues.

Is your house built on a burial mound? Have you been kicking puppies or stealing candy from kids lately?

Sorry - I just can't think of anything that hasn't been covered already so the best I can do is try to cheer you up :D

I know you've got a good soldering station that should be ESD safe...but have you considered trying another? Maybe a grounded ESD wristband? What kind of work surface are you working on again? The only serious possibility I keep coming back to is an ESD issue given your climate. But honestly even that seems like a stretch. I admit around here static isn't a big deal (heck I have a hard time getting balloons to stick to the wall after rubbing them on my head here!) but even back in Ohio where I couldn't change my position on a couch without getting a zap I was soldering ESD sensitive components with a non ESD safe ungrounded iron on less than idea work surfaces without any problems. So I've always been a bit (ok, totally) lax about ESD precautions even though I know I should be better about them.

Maybe one of your neighbors is into voodoo and doesn't like you flying in your yard? I can picture them now in their basement with a little fabric doll version of your multi and putting it in their microwave trying to curse you :D

LMAO, jhitesma...

Crochet... :)

ESD is an issue here. I build PCs and manufacture my own ammo and use a wriststrap. The wristband is here but not sure what I can connect it to. I am trying the frame of the power strip that powers the desk.

The bummer here is that after weeks of fires and 3 burned out motors (6 fires on my desk) I have 0 idea as to what I am doing to cause them.

Is there anyone anywhere running these in the high desert with <> 30% humidity at 6,000 ft above sea level?

Last edited: