Cutting a hole for spar in EPP

ZoomNBoom

I have to cut some long holes in an EPP wing for a spar. Like the one on the bottom:

but then in the one on the top. Anyone have suggestions how to do this best? Im thinking a sharpened copper tube, perhaps heated ?

William A

Billy did it....
Does it have to be a hole ?, how deep/long ?

I've done grooves with no problem to go long lengths but holes are another story.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Hey Zoom, check out this video for two techniques. A sharpened copper tube and a drill looks like a good choice. I do remember seeing a video once of a method that involves heating a metal tube up and then quickly sliding it along a track into the wing the melt in a hole. I'll update this if I find it.

ZoomNBoom

yes, has to be a hole, 6mm wide, ~20cm or so should be long enough. Groves would be easier to make for sure, but Im trying to take advantage of the spare already in the inner section of the wing and I also want to route wires through it and have the tube act as RF shielding.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Glad it helped. Still can't find the video that uses a heated rod, but you can just imagine the drill technique, but using a heated rod instead of a spinning drill.

ExperimentalRC

Glad it helped. Still can't find the video that uses a heated rod, but you can just imagine the drill technique, but using a heated rod instead of a spinning drill.

I think I remember seeing Daniel from rctestflight do that but I can't find the video where he did it.