Decal Plans - Everybody Join In

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I fly in Utah and I am honored that you would personally invite me to FliteFest. I would love to attend at least one of the FliteFests East or West, but I am unavailable this year. Maybe in the future. I am currently working on more skins for FT planes. I have a goal to eventually work my way through all the FT planes (Good, Bad and Ugly). But it may take a while. So I am going to stick to the most popular and the ones that I like. On the FT planes that I have build I plan on making more than one skin.
Sam,
Thank you for the intro and letting us know your plans. Skins are very a very creative way to enhance and possibly personalize our builds. I hope to gain from your knowledge as I learn to do skins myself and I know many here will be eager to see more of your work. Please be sure to share as often as you like.

Gazoo

Hey, Just made a set of full body decals for my FT Spear.
I didn't use paper, but had them printed on adhesive backed vinyl instead.

View attachment 84513

PDF and SVG files for you to use/modify. Thanks!

PDF - http://www.filedropper.com/speardecals
SVG - http://www.filedropper.com/speardecals_1

:black_eyed:

Dyzel,

How did the vinal hold up to the hot glue? I have vinyl printed out but when I did a few tests, the hot glue melted the vinyl somewhat.

Did you stick the vinyl to the paper or remove the paper and stick the vinyl to the foam core?

If anyone else has input on this, please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

dwnhlbikr

Hey revision, where in Utah are you located. We are holding an event in Utah county this weekend doing a combat swarm. You are welcome to join.

Dyzel

Dyzel,

How did the vinal hold up to the hot glue? I have vinyl printed out but when I did a few tests, the hot glue melted the vinyl somewhat.

Did you stick the vinyl to the paper or remove the paper and stick the vinyl to the foam core?

If anyone else has input on this, please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

Hello,
I stuck the vinyl down onto the foam directly after removing the paper.
It has held up very well so far! I have actually gone ahead and made a 50% spear using the same methods.
This time I used some strong yellow tape on the leading edge for some extra durability.

Pics;
Untitled.png

Sorry about those rubbish pics. Only have my cheapo phone nearby right now.

Gazoo

Thanks for the reply. I was worried about attempting "hot glue hinges" with the vinyl. When making the rudder of the Mini-Mustang, I left the paper on the hinge side of the bevel cut.

Just concerned with melting the Vinyl.

XDmToter

Hello localfiend. First off; Thank you for the time and effort you put into these Decal sheets. Excellent work.

I do have one suggestion. Your tiled PDF files use a page size of 8.5 x 11. On some people's printers this will either cut off the edges of the page, or force you to print to fit, which scales down the page.

If you look at the Tiled plans that FliteTest publishes (which I believe are the work of Sponz), you will see that those use a PDF page size of 8 x 10.5 or similar. That way, they will print correctly on everyone's printers. Even those of us who have crappy inkjets at home.

Thanks Again.

Fly Safe.

mgeeforce

Ok FliteTest Groupies,

This is the first time that I have posted in the FOURMS but hopefully not the last. I also hope this is the correct place to post this. I have posted pictures on Facebook in the Flitetest Fans Facebook Group and most of you said that you would absolutely love to see my skins for download. Well here is the first one. I built and skinned (sounds like I am hunting lol) this Tiny Trainer for a buddy of mine who's previous Tiny had a unfortunate collision with the hood of a F-350. I have laminated many planes and other projects being a Graphic Designer and all. I have my own way of doing it, but it has been requested not only to do more FT planes but maybe show some YouTube videos of my process, as well. So for now we will start here, and see where this goes. IF you download my designs and apply them to your own planes, I would like your feedback on how it was and what you think of the designs. Look for more of my designs in the future as I get them done. My plan is to eventually work through all the FliteTest planes, having multiple designs for each. For now I start with my first and one of my favorite FT planes, the FliteTest Tiny Trainer.

Foregive my ignorance but what page size and settings would you use to print these. I just built a tt speed kit and am keen to do a scratch build. Upon inspection the document claims the page size to be 33 x 60 cms. Awesome design btw.

ftwingnut

WWI Flying Ace
I am a fellow FT builder/pilot and I love these custom printed skins for the planes. I understand the frustration of printing tiled sheets and taping them together, so I started offering full size FT plan prints at low cost. I would be open to also printing these and mailing them out. Since they would use more ink than the standard prints, I would probably charge an extra $1 per page over my standard pricing. Check out my post in the Merchant Corner: http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?35035-FT-Full-Size-Plan-Printing-Service

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
ok guys, lots of mention but no plans that i can find yet.

i need skins for the mini DR1. i want to start building it but can't without having the skins first.

anyone got a lead?

thanks,

jason ;)

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
Unfortunately, they don't exist on this forum anywhere. If someone has made them, they haven't yet shared them.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
bummer. guess i will have to figure something else out. plan on learning how to make them myself but dont have the time currently.

thanks,

jason ;)

TexMechsRobot

Painting is an option. Mine looks pretty good and I just painted the WRFB.

From the DR1 thread:

Built mine and maidened it yesterday. It was probably just a tad bit too gusty for it but it handled nicely and had a very large speed envelope. I made the landing gear removable so that I could land it without worrying about ripping them off but still display it with them off. I'm very happy with this build!

View attachment 87313

View attachment 87314

Last edited:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i decided to go with tissue paper and airbrushing...

20170621_184239.jpg

after some struggles with the tissue paper i am very happy. probably should have just spray painted but the paper gives it a realism that just can't fake (without lots of work).

laters,

jason ;)

TexMechsRobot

What paints did you use for airbrushing the tissue? Did you pre-shrink it? How did you apply it to the WRFB?

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
DR1 Skin for Manfred Von Richtofen's 425-17

Link to the skins for Manfred Von Richtofen DR1 #425-17
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/3lhvn3n58kdk5/Manfred_von_Richthofen_DR1
Eleven 11X17 pages.
These skins are as of yet untested so let me know via IM if there are issues or questions. Please post pics when your done!

Screen shot below is from JohnRambozo FliteTest in Phoenix RC thread located here. Highly recommended.
FT_TinyTri_RBFlying.png

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
This is an awesome idea! Any plans for a P-51 swappable skin?

Yes! There are two out there currently (linked in the first post)

P-51 Old crow

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?23721-FT-Mini-Mustang-Paper-Replacement-Kit

P-51 Paul I

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...ustang-Paper-Replacement-Kit-quot-Paul-I-quot

There has been chatter of plans to make a few more from various folks on the forums, but these are the only two P-51's that I remember seeing at the moment.

Rasterize

Mentor
This is an awesome idea! Any plans for a P-51 swappable skin?

The two mentioned above are for the Mighty Mini sized P51. I do have a swappable sized Miss America P51 in the works. Its on the ever growing list of projects to finish.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
The two mentioned above are for the Mighty Mini sized P51. I do have a swappable sized Miss America P51 in the works. Its on the ever growing list of projects to finish.

Would those mini sized decals scale up just fine though? Would require some print tiling work, or printing at Staples on a bigger format paper, but it might get a body building if they are inspired and crafty...

Rasterize

Mentor
Would those mini sized decals scale up just fine though? Would require some print tiling work, or printing at Staples on a bigger format paper, but it might get a body building if they are inspired and crafty...

I want to say I overlaid the plans a while back and they did not come out proportional. You had to stretch and pull and then the art got weird.