DH Vampire

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Just wanted to see what you make of my newest design - the de Havilland Vampire.

It is a swappable pusher. Its small size and powerful motor makes it feel just like a Jet in the air. It is completely my own design.

IMG_5346.jpg

IMG_5352.jpg

IMG_5354.jpg

IMG_5358.jpg

IMG_5359.jpg

Performance

The thing tracks like it's on rails. It isn't the fastest plane I have ever flown, but it's quite close. I haven't accurately measured it, but I estimate it cruising at 40mph, perhaps diving at 50-60mph full throttle.

The climb rate is very nice. It isn't one of these planes that can do vertical, but even so, you don't notice any problem with performance while trying to gain altitude.

Aerobatics are so much fun with this plane. The roll rate is great and can turn on a penny, even though it's only 3 channel, a 'bank and yanker'. The smoothness of it tracking on rails means you feel completely in control, even whilst doing more extreme manoeuvres like figure 8's and stall turns. I was very surprised how nice it flies, as I was expecting more problems from the classic 'jet' aerodynamics.

Build

It started with drawing out the fuselage sides and building the power pod. The battery is actually now located at the the very front of the nose within the power pod.

IMG_1579.jpg

Then I started the wings.

IMG_1593.jpg

IMG_1596.jpg

IMG_1601.jpg

IMG_1609.jpg

IMG_1613.jpg

IMG_1623.jpg

IMG_1631.jpg

The tail was quite tricky with the tail servo being located right at the back.

IMG_1884.jpg

The servo lead goes through the tail boom.

IMG_1888.jpg

Overall the build was fairly easy. There are 3 main sections, the fuselage, wings, and tail booms/tail.

Specs

1200KV NTM Propdrive Motor
40Amp Basic ESC
6x5 Master Airscrew Prop
2200Mah 3s 25c Turnigy LiPo
Orange 6ch Rx

Test Flight

The first test flights and glides went better than expected. I first flew the plane yesterday, and it was so good I went ahead and painted it straight after!

Here it is on the glide test. I tested it in a small field with long grass to cushion the landing. Sorry about the out of focus camera.

Screen Shot 2015-05-31 at 16.43.29.png

Screen Shot 2015-05-31 at 16.43.41.png

Screen Shot 2015-05-31 at 16.43.55.png

I then took it to my flying field up the road and gave it a few laps around. It was great!

The only thing I had to adjust was the expo levels. At first the plane was very pitchy. I think this may be because of the distance of the tail control surface to the motor and CG point. I reduced it to just 20 percent (!) and it now has the authority you would expect to fly with. It still is extremely maneuverable.

Here it is after the powered test flight.

Screen Shot 2015-05-31 at 16.47.51.png

Summary

To sum up, this is a great flyer. It is small, agile, and most of all, a ton of fun to fly.

Depending on if people want it, I may end up drawing up the plans so you can make your own DH Vampire.

Let me know what you think in a reply to this thread. I look forward to hearing your feedback :)

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2015-05-31 at 16.51.47.png

Attachments

• IMG_5350.jpg
    IMG_5350.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Bambua

Amazing job on that, the paint job alone is wonderful. Glad you had a chance to fly it and that it went well!

Aeronaut

Build+Crash= +more power!
wow that looks great espessialy the belly amazing detail. I gotta ask the question we all want the answer for... Will there be plans?
I happen to have a 1800v ntm and a 6x5 prop and 30A esc laying around and would love to build a vampire.

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
wow that looks great espessialy the belly amazing detail. I gotta ask the question we all want the answer for... Will there be plans?
I happen to have a 1800v ntm and a 6x5 prop and 30A esc laying around and would love to build a vampire.

Hey, thanks for the interest. :)

Hopefully I will be able to make plans for this soon enough! Problem is I have never made plans before on CAD. I will probably be able to figure something out though. I could maybe collaborate with another user if I scan in some of the templates I used in building this prototype.

Thanks again.

Partsman

Vampire

image.jpg
Built this from modified 2d plans , a 40" wing span and made with crappy green fan foam
Flys great but needs the Flite Test style upgrade , it was plain "nasty" with a 2836 , 2200 turnigy

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Please post plans!!! I would love to build it.

You'll be pleased to hear I have started work on drawing up the plans for everyone to use to build the Vampire. Hopefully, if all goes to plan, I should be able to make them tiled like the FT ones too.

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
In other news, I have finished one half of the plans. The half with the wings, intakes and tail surfaces. :) Gonna be doing the fuse etc tomorrow. It has been quite a learning curve but I think I have most of it all figured out now.

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Sorry about the slow progress. Just doing the initial build testing. Got a bit distracted with flying in this lovely weather. :)

IMG_5447.jpg

IMG_5454.jpg

Povvercrazy

Definitely going to add this to my build list, on your preliminary plan it says custom pod,
what's the difference between yours and the standard FT one?

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
James,
What software are you using to create your plans?

Im using something a bit like photoshop. It's called Pixelmator.

Almost done with this one. Sorry about the wait but I've unfortunately been delayed by various things.