Direct drive yaw servo patent?

Cosmo12

In the latest episode with the new cool tough tilt tricopter the host mentioned there is a patent on direct drive.

I did some searching but no luck finding the patent. Can anyone point me to the patent?

Thanks

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Oh man, is this guy ever the patent troll -- mark the obvious idea as theirs, sit back and wait to sue.

He even patented a servo driven pan gimbal . . . AND pan/tilt gimbal . . . what's special about these genius invention? It uses servos and . . . it pans :p

Oh, and an external bearing block for a servo, attaching a servo to a lead screw (linear actuator -- very common, but with hobby servos?), attaching a shaft adapter to a servo, Texturing the direct drive shafts, and using a touchscreen to control a pan/tilt

And that's just what he got approved! He's got applications on file for a pair of MOUNTING BLOCKS for a Servo that can be screwed down, a single device that can control his pan/tilt servos (he pictures a tablet, but the definition would cover a standard radio controller), and a self stabilizing gimbal . . . all dating around 2011 to current.

These are all obvious solutions to an engineer and a few, like the linear actuator, is industry standard except the drive is a hobby servo instead of an industrial servo. I'm all for protecting IP, but not the obvious solutions -- in larger markets he'd be ignored and then the patent lawers would duke it out to prove it invalid. In the hobby market, however, only the trolls have money for lawers :p

I'm with you on this one CraftyDan. The pace at which the Patent office seems to be rubber-stamping obvious solutions is disturbing to say the least.

Most annoyingly is it costs money to challenge patents even with obvious prior art. The system is most definitely broken and needs help, main in the form of burning it to the ground and rebuilding.

Like you I'm all for protecting IP of novel solutions, most specifically implemented novel solutions. Patenting an idea and not pursuing implementation and a push to market should be grounds for forfeiture of your patent. Seriously, waiting for someone else to implement your stuff after they discover it on their own because you don't want to take the risk to do it yourself is crap.

OttoPilot

Meh, the above referenced patents are very specific to the point of being unrelated. I'm guessing there's something else out there.

HawkMan

Oh man, is this guy ever the patent troll -- mark the obvious idea as theirs, sit back and wait to sue.

He even patented a servo driven pan gimbal . . . AND pan/tilt gimbal . . . what's special about these genius invention? It uses servos and . . . it pans :p

His patents wouldn't hold up if anyone challenged them, to generic and already covered as both common sense and prior art.

I'm not sure that's the issue as much as the fact that all the different RC gear/servo manufacturers, have a patent on their own splines. which is a far bigger issue and also pretty much invalidates that guys poor attempts at patent trolling.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I thought it was super expensive to even get a patient? Or you have to wait years because of the back log.

Biff45452

It's sad how a patent can stifle innovation, take the patent for playing a simpler game during video game loading screen as an example:

Luckily they do expire eventually.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
The worst example of a-hole patient work was in the news recently. A drug company got rid of a drug right before it was going to be made generic and they replaced it with a new "better" drug making the cheap generic impossible. (I can't find a news article about it.)

dynotime

This Patent is not enforceable, he copyed every automotive design. This patent would never hold up. A spline is used on every transmission,
and a sliding spline is used on drive shafts of rear wheel drive cars. This application is not new in any way. Even the universal joint he shows. How was this Granted, I hold a us patent and know for a fact that a Patent can be granted for only one item not the entire product.
If your interested my my patent let me know I can show you what I mean. What did he patent? For sure not the Servo, not the Spline, not the u-joint, not the shape, I would not worrie abou this patent at all.

Last edited:

Cosmo12

Thanks for the link.

Agree, that is the worst written patent I have ever seen. I dont see an attorney listed so maybe he did the patent himself. That doesn't explain why the examiner allowed such garbage to pass.