Help! Discharging multiple batteries

messyhead

Hi folks. I’m thinking of getting an ISDT FD200. It only has one battery connector.

I have a multi board for charging batteries.

Can it also be used for discharging, if the batteries are all on the same voltage and capacity like you do for charging?

Bricks

Master member
What do you have for a charger now? Most chargers have a store function built in will either charge too or discharge too correct voltage. Unless you have a ton of batteries that need to be put in storage ISDT FD200 will make it happen much faster, as the discharge rate of 25 amps is pretty impressive. I just use my charger to put batteries into storage mode, it will automatically add or subtract voltage to get to the required numbers, I can store or charge up to 10 batterie's at one time using parallel charging boards, as long as all ten have the same cell count...

messyhead

I have an imax b6 charger. It does have a discharge function, but it’s really slow. It has a max discharge of 5A, but for a 4S, 6000mah it only does it at 0.3A.

For conditioning new batteries, it helps to discharge them quickly before charging again.

Bricks

Master member
I have an imax b6 charger. It does have a discharge function, but it’s really slow. It has a max discharge of 5A, but for a 4S, 6000mah it only does it at 0.3A.

For conditioning new batteries, it helps to discharge them quickly before charging again.

That is a new one on me, if you want to discharge quicker just stick them in a plane and run them on the ground should not take more then 5 minutes. Just my opinion.

messyhead

That is a new one on me, if you want to discharge quicker just stick them in a plane and run them on the ground should not take more then 5 minutes. Just my opinion.

Seems everyone and their dog has an opinion about lipo use 🤣

I read an extensive write up about the best way to condition Lipos first time, to get full capacity out of them. It involves quickly discharging them to storage voltage.

I’m not keen on running a plane with prop spinning on the ground to discharge them.

And even if I don’t do the conditioning, I want to quickly discharge batteries. So back to my original question…

Bricks

Master member
In the description it does not mention using a parallel board, I would contact the company before I would shell out any money on it.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
You could string a few auto taillights in series to discharge quickly. Each bulb would discharge the batt at roughly 2 amps The bulbs will get hot, so you'll need to mount them in a way that keeps them from melting/burning things.
A single halogen bulb would discharge the batts at around 10 amps, and would also get very hot.
The problem with using bulbs is you'll need to monitor the voltage to keep them from discharging too far.
These are rough estimates. Not every bulb is the same.