Diving into Fuel

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
While some engines are fairly easy to hand-prop you'll probably find your life is MUCH easier with a spinner and electric starter. Best bet is to either buy an aluminum spinner or maybe a simple milled prop nut that is also large enough to use the electric starter. The plastic spinners you can find anywhere can easily melt from the friction from an electric starter trying to spin past the compression. Two different styles that do the same things - provide the look you want while not melting from friction like plastic. I've got the metal spinners on a few planes and the milled prop nuts on other planes (like a Cub) where the spinner wouldn't look right.

Chuppster

Not having a muffler may effect your idle most of these engines need some back pressure to idle well.

Alright, parts are in for the Saito, so I installed the high speed needle and rocker arm covers. Then I put the prop on and it became apparent that I really need new bearings. So, while those are on the way, I began "fixing" the covering on the Ultra Sport. I'm having trouble getting the wrinkles out of my patches.

2018-09-23 21.34.42.jpg

Sorry for the bad lighting, working from the basement.

I did get the Saito to run, but I believe I leaned it out and it no longer starts, so I'm guessing I need a new glow plug.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Don't forget to check the valve adjustment on that Saito just in case. There are specific tolerances for the intake and exhaust valves shown in the manual.

For the covering are you trying to shrink with an iron or a heat gun? Smaller pieces like that I often try using a trim iron as it really concentrates the heat in a small area.

Chuppster

Don't forget to check the valve adjustment on that Saito just in case. There are specific tolerances for the intake and exhaust valves shown in the manual.

For the covering are you trying to shrink with an iron or a heat gun? Smaller pieces like that I often try using a trim iron as it really concentrates the heat in a small area.

I have a normal iron that I've been using. The heat gun seems to make things worse.

I did tighten up the valves before I put the rocker covers back on, as they had too much clearance. I used a feeler gauge to try and get them right in the middle of spec as best as I could.

Chuppster

Does anyone have experience with Saito carburetors? I rebuilt mine yesterday and the rebuild kit comes with this tiny O-ring:

2018-09-26 07.53.37.jpg

I can't figure out where it's supposed to go. I took the entire carb apart and there is not place for it. I thought it might go over the high speed needle but it doesn't fit between the threads and the needle. Any ideas?

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I have had carb kits that came with a lot of extra parts, a "universal" kit that covers more models of carbs. If you have removed the front and back, along with the needle, spring, etc and don't see it, maybe it's not needed?

Chuppster

Yesterday I met up at the field with one of the members and he helped me get my Ultra Sport tuned. The prop I have for it, an 18x6, is too big so the engine wasn't able to rev very high. Still, it had good thrust, so we decided to give it a go, and it flew! It was a lot of fun and I really like how it handles. No issues on the runway either! Now to wait for HobbyKing to bring me a smaller prop...

My favorite part was that I got to bring a friend along and buddy box with him after we flew the Ultra. He had a lot of fun and wants to fly more!