Where to buy Nitro/Glow fuel

cjhagemeyer

I recently got a bunch of old balsa planes that are nitro, I've never done anything with nitro and I have no idea where to get fuel without paying a ton of money. Does anyone know somewhere to buy nitro for fairly cheap??

RcLew

You can mix your own fuel, I understand it's cheaper, I have never done it, and some where I had recipe for r/c plane engines years ago, but no clue where it is, getting old I guess, you can Goggle it.

Piotrsko

Master member
Should be still available at a hobby site for airplanes,and the RC car racing tracks, but you can buy lab grade ethanol, castor oil also because it doesn't burn and nitromethane. I can get nitro at the local racing fuel place and maybe Summit. I have seen fuel at Wallyworld in the toy area, but only pint cans. It doesn't store well opened because the nitro is really volitile and evaporates, while the alky just wants to absorb atmospheric vapor.
For pints and quarts, just go online. Dont buy a gallon it will go bad before you use it up

FAI fuel is just alky and 20% by volume castor oil but my COX engines really don't like that.
Dont go above 10% nitro by volume. Tends to melt piston tops otherwise

Last edited:

L Edge

Master member
With the high prices for nitro, if you can, convert the planes to electric if your budget allows.

skymaster

Elite member
I use thid brand for my rc cars. this one is for air panes. works good and its not that smelly.

cjhagemeyer

Should be still available at a hobby site for airplanes,and the RC car racing tracks, but you can buy lab grade ethanol, castor oil also because it doesn't burn and nitromethane. I can get nitro at the local racing fuel place and maybe Summit. I have seen fuel at Wallyworld in the toy area, but only pint cans. It doesn't store well opened because the nitro is really volitile and evaporates, while the alky just wants to absorb atmospheric vapor.
For pints and quarts, just go online. Dont buy a gallon it will go bad before you use it up

FAI fuel is just alky and 20% by volume castor oil but my COX engines really don't like that.
Dont go above 10% nitro by volume. Tends to melt piston tops otherwise
as far as i know the only hobby shop near me that sells nitro only sells the traxxas branded stuff which is around $20-25 per quart which is way more than im willing to pay. Also, i have a hangar 9 alpha and arrow, both i believe have the same engine, and that all that i know. the others i cant identify at the moment. Should i be using 10% fuel for those?

Bricks

Master member
Swap meets are a great place to buy Nitro check with a local clubs, watch market place and for people getting out of the hobby. Between my nephew and me we have about ten cases we picked up and only have about $9 a gallon into it. As I am doing more to switching over to gas I don`t use near as much as I used too..