DIY conversion to seaplane (need advice)

Nangier

Hi all,

I have a fairly old Parkzone Stinson SR-10 which I've been meaning to repurpose. I've been flying my other planes primarily, and since the Stinson was one of my first, it has some very battered fixed landing gear, which is easily removable.

image.jpg

I am planning to add DIY pontoons, or other means of flotation, and mount a gopro for some footage I've been "hired" to get from over a salt pond. This would be more of a safety measure than a polished flotation system, so simply something to Keep the lipo, prop, ect. Dry on a potential water landing.

I'm running an 1800mAh 3s lipo, (stronger batteries are an option) which gives a decent amount of power, and this is of course a 4 Channel.

If Anyone has any input on how to do this conversion,
what flotation method to use, where to start, or any other advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

(I will keep updates on the project on this thread)
Thanks
Nangier.

Last edited:

Nangier

actually that's a really good idea, I just looked into the HZ super cub. I wasn't aware of the model before, I can probably use those, it might be a bit tricky getting the cg and the balance at the same point, but with a couple insulation foam pods on the wings and tail, that might work.
Thanks!

Nangier

image.jpg

Here's the fuselage with the sheared landing gear ports, next is waterproofing vents, I'm thinking marine shrink wrap.

Nangier

Looks good, I've got the landing gear ports covered in a sheet of electrical tape which when painted with thinned epoxy should unify into pretty solid water protection. image.jpg

Nangier

*update*

Sadly after a bit more research and a trip to my local hobby shop, I found that this particular model isn't capable of such conversion. The added friction from the pontoons requires a prop with a much greater pitch and such a prop would cause the motor to overheat, it also can't be waterproofed without blocking vents, ect. This project might continue on a later date, but for now it won't be completed.
Sorry.