Do I need Flux?

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Well this seems like the best spot to post this

So I'm going to start building a Gremlin (WOOHOO) and in the video TJ is using flux. I know it basically just cleans the surface you're about to solder and personally I've never used it. So would now be a good time to start using it? and is it all that necessary?

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I use flux, but not to clean surfaces. I use it to flow solder better for nicer and easier soldering results. Most solder for electronics are rosin core, which means they have a little flux in the middle. For big solder connections, more can be better.

I use isopropyl alcohol to clean surfaces/ pads before and after soldering.

Mdcmn7

I also use flux for virtually every joint even if the solder has rosin or not

It’s cheap and it really helps the solder flow into the joints. You will get nicer looking and stronger commections

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I use flux, but not to clean surfaces. I use it to flow solder better for nicer and easier soldering results. Most solder for electronics are rosin core, which means they have a little flux in the middle. For big solder connections, more can be better.

+1 :)

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor

+2

Flux is your friend. As is IPA to get rid of the residue.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I use it. I like it. I recommend it.

I believe it also does some cleaning which is what makes the solder flow and bond better. Dirty and corroded contacts don't bond well at all and a dirty or corroded solder tip doesn't do well either. Just don't get it everywhere and clean up afterward. The goal is to have a shiny solder joint.

T-Richard

i use F.lux to control my circadian rhythm while looking at screens..... A joke but not a joke look it up very useful

flux is great if you solder a good deal, which I do

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Flux is great.... If yer a plumber...

Totally unnecessary when doing electronics. In fact its actually bad, unless the electronics you are working on are over a year old and have had the chance to oxidize.

I used to work for several electronics manufacturers in Rochester New York. One Being Harris RF Communications which is responsible for a good portion of ALL our Militarys communication devises. Never once in the years I worked in those environments on a professional level did I or was I instructed to use any additional flux then was in the rosin core solder. In fact the instructional videos on how they wanted to solder to a specific ISO standard told us NOT to use additional flux as it has a tendency to wick under chips where it can not be properly cleaned and would over time corrode the chips, de-laminate the conformal coatings, AND on certain types of PC board actually eat the board over time.

I am working on a soldering how to video while I am working on the video system for Rockboys FW 42 monster build and will make it a point to touch on this. I see far too many instructional and build videos where supposed professionals are teaching REALLY bad habits and teaching improper methods which get spread by you tube university and believed to be correct. Hopefully I can have that all done and start editing here in the next few days to get it up and posted.

Soldering is all about clean tools and heat management. Its not complicated at all and many people think too much into it. Usually when people have problems specifically on larger wire like battery connectors they crank up the heat and apply a ton of pressure squishing the wire and spreading it out creating air gaps that take for ever to heat. This is because the irons they use can not recover and hold a specific temperature properly not the fact the temperature was too low to start.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
i use F.lux to control my circadian rhythm while looking at screens..... A joke but not a joke look it up very useful

flux is great if you solder a good deal, which I do

I use a banana peel and left over beer to power my flux capacitors.

In all seriousness, glad Grifflyer was able to figure out all he needed was IPA (not the kind you drink)