Do you think DJI and other consumer multi-rotors are destroying the multi-rotor hobby

Robbie

Hey Guys,

I am fairly new to the whole multirotor hobby, however during my time building different mutlirotors i have witnessed the authorities slowly start toughening up on the hobby as a whole. From my point of view, this sudden change in opinion from the regulators seems to have coincided with rise of consumer drones such as the parrot AR and the DJI phantom. And i am starting to feel more and more everyday that the people who are buying the consumer multirotors do not have the expertise for the awareness to operate safely leading to more and more incidents for example people flying over stadiums and the white house for example, all this means that regulators are threatening tougher sanctions on the RC community as a whole. Do you agree?

P.S i do realize if you are a professional photographer and you dont have the time to fool around endlessly fixing your home built multirotor than the DJI could be a good product.

narcolepticltd

I unbuild stuff regularly
it isn't the product that's the problem, it's the consumer's lack of expertise and also lack of responsibility (as well as an ignorance of the risks the copter imposes). Kinda reminds me of someone wanting to ride a motorcycle with no experience...

Robbie

it isn't the product that's the problem, it's the consumer's lack of expertise and also lack of responsibility (as well as an ignorance of the risks the copter imposes). Kinda reminds me of someone wanting to ride a motorcycle with no experience...

yeh i completely agree, if someone builds a mini quad from scratch there gonna know how it works and they (hopefully) arn't gonna do something stupid, while if some one paid £100 for parrot AR or and they barely understand how to fly the thing then thats when accidents are gonna happen.

narcolepticltd

I unbuild stuff regularly
same thing for someone who buys an iPhone and uses it to film themselves doing something embarrassing/illegal and posts it to social media ;)

Robbie

same thing for someone who buys an iPhone and uses it to film themselves doing something embarrassing/illegal and posts it to social media ;)

Yeh but doing that with an iphone doesn't get them banned, everyday it seems now governments are putting stricter rules on the RC community.