Driving From Maine to Seattle! Soon, Suggestions where to stop and get Arial Video?

Jessejrob

Hello, My name is Jesse, I am planning to travel across the country from Brewer, Maine to Seattle, Washington! Plans are to leave Maine, 8/10/2014. I would really appreciate any suggestions and insight the FT community might have pertaining to Interesting places to stop and fly and even warnings as far as where places are that are not Multirotor friendly. I will only be flying my 850mm Quadcopter, recording video at 3840x2160 (16:9) or 1920x1080 (16:9) using my Samsung Galaxy Note 3. I plan on traveling on Interstate 80 most of the way. I have made the trip before but only went as far as Laramie, Wyoming. I attended trade school there in 1999, and would like to return and see how things have changed! I am not restricted to a set schedule and do not mind taking side loops and slowing down! Thank you to all who take the time to post! I will definitely share my experience along the way! Jessejrob@youtube.com

Last edited:

Pushjerk

My wife and I drove from Seattle to Pensacola a couple years back, and man I wish I had a bird with me. There were some killer spots to fly.

You said you were going to stay on 80 for a while - I would highly highly highly recommend you make the detour to Moab, UT. We hung out there for two nights while driving through - just killer scenery.

Also, look up where along your route (midwest) you'll find wind farms. While we were driving along, Kansas I believe (I-70), there were these amazing rolling green hills with windmills dotting the landscape with nothing else around. Would have been a blast to fly on.

There is plenty more, but that's my initial $.02.

Jessejrob

My wife and I drove from Seattle to Pensacola a couple years back, and man I wish I had a bird with me. There were some killer spots to fly.

You said you were going to stay on 80 for a while - I would highly highly highly recommend you make the detour to Moab, UT. We hung out there for two nights while driving through - just killer scenery.

Also, look up where along your route (midwest) you'll find wind farms. While we were driving along, Kansas I believe (I-70), there were these amazing rolling green hills with windmills dotting the landscape with nothing else around. Would have been a blast to fly on.

There is plenty more, but that's my initial $.02.

Wind farms are a great idea Thank You!

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Last time I was in Iowa, I think on I-80, there was a TON of wind turbines. Wind turbines that weren't there a couple years before. I'm sure there are even more now because that was a few years ago when I last drove on I-80.

As a warning, the tolls in Chicago are rather high. I mean like $3-$4 each. I have no idea how much the toll roads in Ohio/Indiana are for I-80.

I don't know what else to tell you. If you take I-94 back through North Dakota, I can tell you that there is a highway just off of the Interstate called "The Enchanted Highway". It's the largest collection of metal sculptures. I'm sure it would be awesome to get some really good areal shots of all 10(?) sculptures. Also, if you drive through North Dakota, you have to stop at the Heritage Museum in Bismark. It's a free museum. When I was there they had the only example of fossilized dinosaur skin on exhibit. But that was a temporary exhibit that's not likely there anymore. (But North Dakota and Minnesota are super boring to drive though after Bismark. Then again, Iowa and Nebraska aren't the most interesting either.)

MT Alex

I can't imagine making that trip and taking I-80 as opposed to I-90. Maybe you could take I-90 on the way home. I-80 is desert country while 90 actually goes through the Pacific Northwest. Sorry, but being from Montana, when I think of I-80 I think of "ugly" and "yuck - and also of tons of semis.

rcspaceflight

I-90? Wall Drug? Where's Wall Drug? ... If you take I-90 through South Dakota, you'll get it.

... Also I think the Bike Week is going on in Sturgis right now.

Balsa to Foam

A Jack of All Planes!!!
ROCKY MOUNTAINS!!! When I was 12 I got to go to colorado in the san juan mountains that was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen!
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Jessejrob

Wow, Thanks guys! It looks like i'm going to kick up to I-90 after Chicago then! I am now leaving Maine tomorrow morning! Just to make sure I have enough time. I am driving out and then flying back on the 19th. I plan on selling my car when I get to Seattle! Thanks again for all the Ideas it really helps!:D

rcspaceflight

Oh, if you're taking I-90, definitely stop at the Badlands park in South Dakota. It's right off of the interstate and is worth just driving through. Be careful if you fly your MR there. If you crash, it's probably a horrible idea to try to scale the badlands to get to it.

If you're up for a long drive off of the interstate, then also go to Devil's Tower. It's a longer drive to get there though. Not sure how much time you'll have.

(Edit for details) The Badlands park, I don't know what it's called, is in South Dakota on the West side of the state. ... I don't remember exactly where it is but there will be signs. Devil's Tower is in Wyoming and you turn off of the interstate right after you enter Wyoming from South Dakota.

Last edited: