DX7 vs 9XR As A Replacement.

fr4nk1yn

I searched and found nothing specific to my question.

The right gimbal on my original DX7 has had it. It pops out of place and doesn't always center so a replacement is needed soon.
I've been reading good things about the 9XR but I've been pretty happy with the Spektrum radios I've had.

Question is how does the 9XR compare to a DX7s, taking build quality into consideration along with the other features.
I've read the 9XR build quality is good but I'm suspicious of how good a $50 radio really is especially considering how many features it has. Cost have to have been cut somewhere, right?

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Feature wise it crushes the DX7,8, etc etc but build quality is not the best. I mean don't get me wrong it's not gonna fall apart but it feels cheap in your hands.

You should get a Taranis :) OpenTx, all the features you can mod into the 9xr already there and the build quality is amazing.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
+1 on the big T. Build quality is awesome and the features blow even the DX9 away!

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
One thing that stands out to me is compatibility. The 9XR is good, though cheap, but unless you get the Orange module, you're going to be lost with a ton od receivers you can't use.

The Taranis is a radio that will last a lot longer although it has the same module issue. If money isn't an issue then I would say the Taranis over the Turnigy.

However, if money is an issue and the Taranis is a little out of range at the moment, then I would recommend one of the Walkera Devo range. They are well built and very affordable, and although they are not modular, changing the system to Deviation will make it totally compatible with your existing Spektrum stuff, and small mods inside will add a few more protcols too.

So yes, I would say a Taranis, but if money is an issue, then I would say a Devo before a Turnigy.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
"Build quality" is about as subjective a term as I can think of. Sure there are non-subjective things like "this is metal" or "this is plastic", but that doesn't make it objectively better or worse.

I have a 9XR with a FrSky module in it and I think it's great. It's got a ton of on board progammability, and it's not too hard to learn. Backlight is nice, sticks feel good, switches and knobs are good. You can even pop in an OrangeRx module if you want to keep flying Spektrum ships. The layout of switches might not be to everyone's preference, but again; that's a preference thing. I don't mind it.

In the interest of honesty, I am thinking of upgrading to a Taranis, but not for build-quality reasons; there's a ton more that the Taranis does that I want access to. But the Taranis is quite a bit more, relatively speaking; ~$200 vs ~$80 (basic 9XR + $30 module) I still maintain the 9XR can't be beat in the "Functions for the Price" category. If $200 doesn't scare you off, then go for the Taranis (although you might have to wait, they're not always in stock). If you're looking for something cheaper and more available, the 9XR is a good solution; and even better if you find a used one (like mine, if you're interested ;) )

Both the 9XR and Taranis have a JR-style module bay, so you can pop whatever module you want in there - compatibility is not a major issue with the 9XR.

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
I have a Taranis too... love it. Now there is a kind of new player on the field... Graupner Radios are looking really nice. You all should check that out too.

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
Graupner radios are nice, they always have been back when hey were a true german radio, but I've been hearing a lot of range issues with their new HOTT line radios, like advertised for something like 3km and barely getting a tenth of that in practical use...

And a Devo 7e is less than $70 with the Spektrum compatibility free of charge with just a little programing needed... although it doesn't have quite so much for planes, s it is primarily a heli radio, but then you have to ask yourself what you need from a radio. I for example don't care about fancy things like throttle curves and cut off: I fly gliders! For simple soarers, it's perfect, and for more complicated machines like with butterfly (which many radios can't handle properly), trim ailerons or tip rudders, I have my Multiplex. The only bad thing about the 7e for some people is its size as it is a small radio... if that is the case, then the Devo 8S or 10 are perfect... in my case, a small radio for a backpack and hiking with a small soarer is perfect!

So... ask yoursef, what do you need in a radio, and more importantly, is this going to be a definitive one or a waypoint one? If you want a cheap one until you get a Taranis for example, do you really want a future second radio to be exactly the same as the first or would you rather it be different in some way for different app,ications? And planning on having just one radio at one time is not wise on the long run, be it for application variety, buddyboxing, or to have spre in case something happens to the other... even to keep a cheap one in the car with a small plane or a microquad for lunchbreak antics in the parking lott!

fr4nk1yn

Thanks guys. Cost is somewhat of an issue but the Taranis is still the cost of a DX7s.
The thing with the Taranis is, 1: it's sold out everywhere. 2: I thoght it was geared toward telemetry which I'd probably never use.

I'd of course use the Orange module.

I know build quality is subjective but I think everyone knows when something feels cheap.
I think could live with that if the gimbals and buttons were smooth.

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
Thanks guys. Cost is somewhat of an issue but the Taranis is still the cost of a DX7s.
The thing with the Taranis is, 1: it's sold out everywhere. 2: I thoght it was geared toward telemetry which I'd probably never use.

I'd of course use the Orange module.

I know build quality is subjective but I think everyone knows when something feels cheap.
I think could live with that if the gimbals and buttons were smooth.

So it sounds like the Taranis might be your pick, stick to it it's a great radio. Everyone else knows it. That's why their out of stock... like me just get on the prepay. I think helibatics.com might have some, at least it will come with v1.2 already.

fr4nk1yn

Thanks for the replies. Crisis averted.

Doing some complicated programming, or trying, I took it apart to quiet that infernal constant beeping decided to look and found the gimbal shaft broken.
Cut a screw to size, the shaft is hollow, and epoxied the whole deal together and it's now drying. I just wish this mixing was as easy.

I'll definitely be looking into the Taranis when I'm ready to upgrade and it's back in stock.

Last edited: