Dynam P-47?

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
How much experience do you have? Are you just looking to step up to a 4 channel bird or can you fly 4 channel comfortably?

mjmueller

:), I do not want to comment on my exp. :). I have a Delta RAy trainer also. I have about 200hrs on Phoenix. I am really looking for the future, or even this year if I get comfortable with my Delta Ray.

mj

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Welcome to the hobby, pilot Mike! You know that warbirds make for rough planes for new pilots enough to ask. I know where you're coming from. I love the looks of the classic warbirds, and my 2nd plane was a umx spitfire that I bought when someone told me it was being discontinued. I still have it and it flies, but only because the second plane I ever flew was a ft22 I built after buying the spitfire.

Now, you ask specific questions about that model. It's doesn't come with a receiver so yes, as long as you buy a dsmx receiver with at least 4 channels, you can use your dx6 to fly it.

I'm not familiar with the thunderbolt as a rc model, and that one in particular, but the fat/large fuselage compared with a relatively small wing and control surfaces males me think it will need quite a bit of speed when flying it.

I would consider other warbirds. The neat thing about scale models is that, any trainer model used in real life training of military pilots also tend to male good rc trainers. I've heard great things about the t28 from all the different companies. I'm actually tempted by the hobby king model with retracts. It would be my first larger scale full house warbird if i get it (towards the end of the year due to lack of funds )

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
If you're dead set on a warbird, go with the T-28. The P-47 (from what I've seen from others anyway) seems to fly a lot like the P-51. It has to fly pretty fast and you can get some nasty high speed stalls. If you are comfortable flying fast and putting up with so me of the issues scale models have, you can probably learn to fly a P-47 quick enough, but if you want to fly a warbird now, go with the T-28. I'd make sure that the plane you are buying has spare parts just in case. If you get a DSM2 or DSMX receiver you can put in it, it'll bind just fine.

HawkMan

there's always the corsair. looks great and is stable with plenty of dihedral so it shouldn't tip stall easy. and if you have the cash there's the SAFE version to for beginners, it's even listed as a trainer.

mjmueller

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for all the replies. Capt_Beavis, I totally missed this plane on all the sites. This is for sure what I'm going to be going for. Love the SAfe Tech.

Mj