"Ebay Special" Knockoff 250 frame and Emax Quad Kit

HawkMan

Well, I'm following the tracking from China to Minneapolis MN..

From China to Chicago. So far so good!

From Chicago to Grand Rapids MI. Looking goo.... wait... what? Chicago to Minneapolis via Grand Rapids MI??

I'm no cartogrpaher or sensiblerouteologist, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

So much for getting it by the weekend I guess.

The logic is in large shipping and sorting centers and shipping all items in bulk.

basically, they put everything that goes within the range of different sorting centers in the same containers and different points, then they get sorted and distributed from there again. Takes longer and seems weird from our individual package perspective, but from a large shipping perspective, it saves them a lot of resources and people.

jipp

The logic is in large shipping and sorting centers and shipping all items in bulk.

basically, they put everything that goes within the range of different sorting centers in the same containers and different points, then they get sorted and distributed from there again. Takes longer and seems weird from our individual package perspective, but from a large shipping perspective, it saves them a lot of resources and people.

yeah especially when it shows up in your own state, heck only a 45 min drive.. heh.

chris.

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
Well, I picked this up from the post office today and I am FAR from disappointed.

I was nervous... I've read a lot of horror stories with the machining being off in these knock off frames... holes being in the wrong spots, chatter marks, rough edges, tear out, inconsistencies in plate thickness...

None of that with this. Machining is VERY clean, holes are spot on, and plate thickness doesn't deviate more than a couple hundreths of a mm. Plates are 2.2mm and the arms are 4.1mm. I mocked up the frame and it truly seems bullet proof. I will put together a build thread in the next few days.

jipp

cool, i guess i got lucky with mine too as i had none of them issues. sharp edges from fresh machine.. but even the expensive frames have that..
look forward to your progress.
chris.

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
Alright. No build thread. I was having too much fun putting it together to bother documenting it.

The build went great. I was a little disappointed that the motor wires were lacquered copper under the sheilding since it makes it difficult to solder... but other than that, it was a breeze. Programming the CC3D board was pretty simple. Unlike the APM Mission Planner software, the Open Pilot program has a "Setup Wizard" that really makes for "point and click" programming. I found it was pretty necessary to calibrate the ESCs seperately instead of in the software. I was able to put about 5 batteries through it yesterday. It was pretty blustery and my yard is small, so I only got a small abount of flight time outside. The rest was spent just hovering in the garage.

Total sucess story though. All in all it's very responsive, and seems to have plenty of power. Can't wait to get my FPV camera for it (should be in the mail today) and get it out to a larger area so I can really put the hammer down.

quad_zpswlgdtbzf.jpg

jipp

cool. man you build one in a day and look at me taking me months. sigh.
i think im gonna hide under a rock.
chris.

jipp

Alright. No build thread. I was having too much fun putting it together to bother documenting it.

The build went great. I was a little disappointed that the motor wires were lacquered copper under the sheilding since it makes it difficult to solder... but other than that, it was a breeze. Programming the CC3D board was pretty simple. Unlike the APM Mission Planner software, the Open Pilot program has a "Setup Wizard" that really makes for "point and click" programming. I found it was pretty necessary to calibrate the ESCs seperately instead of in the software. I was able to put about 5 batteries through it yesterday. It was pretty blustery and my yard is small, so I only got a small abount of flight time outside. The rest was spent just hovering in the garage.

Total sucess story though. All in all it's very responsive, and seems to have plenty of power. Can't wait to get my FPV camera for it (should be in the mail today) and get it out to a larger area so I can really put the hammer down.

quad_zpswlgdtbzf.jpg

ok, that is why i was having problems tinning them. i hope i did not destroy mine from heat.

i thought it was just me and being a total noob. i hope to have mine finish this week as i have to wait for parts to come in this week to finish it.

chris.

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
cool. man you build one in a day and look at me taking me months. sigh.
i think im gonna hide under a rock.
chris.

Being compulsive and neurotic about building things may not be the best benchmark to strive towards. Luckily this one went together pretty easily and only took a couple hours, but there have been times...

When I was building guitars, it was not unusual for me to lock myself in my shop for 36 hours straight to finish inlay work.

Not healthy.

ok, that is why i was having problems tinning them. i hope i did not destroy mine from heat.

i thought it was just me and being a total noob. i hope to have mine finish this week as i have to wait for parts to come in this week to finish it.

chris.

I took a decent amount of time scraping the wire with a razor blade, then used liquid flux... and STILL had a hard time tinning the wires. In the end it worked out though and I was able to get solid connections. I guess That's what I get for shortening the motor wires for the sake of cable management.

jipp

yeah, iv spent way to much time on inlay work too. its always the little things that slow down a build.

my major problem is im new to RC in general so im learning as i go, plus throw in the mix i have had to buy everything.. TX, RX, Battery's./charger, you get the idea...

i did not scape the wires as i did not know that was the issue. i was able to finally get them tin tho when i used a new spool. what i was using was way to thick for my cheapo soldering iron i figured.

i hope this week ill be in the air to crash.. as i have to learn to fly too. :D
only so much you can learn from flight sim/blade nano.

chris.

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
i hope this week ill be in the air to crash.. as i have to learn to fly too. :D
only so much you can learn from flight sim/blade nano.

chris.

Take... Your... Time.

Honestly I would spend several batteries just hovering and landing, then moving forward back and left and right before trying anything "fancy" like incorporating Yaw and such.

May seem boring, but in the end it will pay dividends for a newer pilot.

jipp

good advice. since my main interest is AP.. i plan on following erics lead too.. lots of hovering around me in a chair.
i will also follow the flight test advice.. keeping the back to me, hovering, then walking the dog, then wide circles or patterns etc.
pretty much i will do the exact same thing i did when i started to learn to fly the blade nano qx, and the flight sim..

i spent my morning at the pain doctors, it sucks having to go get a RX every month for my pain meds.. but they are what most consider strong Oxycontin, and oxycodone iv been taking them for last 6 years ( so ill go through the stupid head aches, because my leg needs them ). . im gonna lay down, thanks again for the advice. if some new parts come in today ill take a few pics to continue documenting my build.. who knows maybe its helping someone. if so great, but i can say after building one the second one will be much easier, and i guess that is typical. f

Last edited:

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
Ok. After installing new motor and ESC, this thing is fantastic. Even though I'm still a novice with multirotors, It was pretty rock solid... at least it seemed like it until I watched the Mobius video. Just about lost my dinner trying to watch it. LOL

Anywhoo, I burned through 6 batteries, broke no props, and came home with it intact. Even went into "oh crap" mode for a while and managed to keep it afloat, and reasonable stable. After a few more hours on the sticks, I will likely take the training wheels off and fly in acro mode only.

Until then, baby steps, and I recommend this kit.

jipp

thats to bad it cost ya a few bucks more.. but for what you get, and now flying you still get a good deal considering sum of the parts only make up half the product.

the good news, at least a emax 12a simon sires esc are dirt cheap i think iv seen them for 8.00 a pop and motor not sure.
i hope i did not ruin mine when i originally tried to tin them as i over heated the wire.

but i had two CC3D PDB come in the mail today. worse case i too have to buy new motors/ and ESC.. if thats what it takes so be it. i have not felt well enough today to work on this, maybe tomorrow.. i spent last week in the hospital.. so im just happy to be home and be able to take my mind off life with the computer.

for my next project i think i want a mini tri. :D one les part to blow up.. i have 10 9gram servos, and 6 3.5g servos i bought when i thought id be building planes.. of course they are not metal geared so i dunno if i can use them for a tri or not.
chris.
chris.

narcolepticltd

I unbuild stuff regularly
thats to bad it cost ya a few bucks more.. but for what you get, and now flying you still get a good deal considering sum of the parts only make up half the product.

the good news, at least a emax 12a simon sires esc are dirt cheap i think iv seen them for 8.00 a pop and motor not sure.
i hope i did not ruin mine when i originally tried to tin them as i over heated the wire.

but i had two CC3D PDB come in the mail today. worse case i too have to buy new motors/ and ESC.. if thats what it takes so be it. i have not felt well enough today to work on this, maybe tomorrow.. i spent last week in the hospital.. so im just happy to be home and be able to take my mind off life with the computer.

for my next project i think i want a mini tri. :D one les part to blow up.. i have 10 9gram servos, and 6 3.5g servos i bought when i thought id be building planes.. of course they are not metal geared so i dunno if i can use them for a tri or not.
chris.
chris.

Unfortunately, for the mini tricopter you're going to want a serious business servo. I've already stripped one of my turnigy metal gear servos, and we'll see how the new one fares (it's even more heavy duty). at close to 20 bucks a pop, they cost what a high end motor will run you, and they're no where near as resilient to crashes.

jipp

Unfortunately, for the mini tricopter you're going to want a serious business servo. I've already stripped one of my turnigy metal gear servos, and we'll see how the new one fares (it's even more heavy duty). at close to 20 bucks a pop, they cost what a high end motor will run you, and they're no where near as resilient to crashes.

i was sorta thinking that. that's the price i will have to give up to experience this swoosh through the air i keep reading about. :D ill book market it for future reference.

i figure these 9g turnigy are meant for foam planes etc.. i got a good deal on them so i bought 10 or 11 of them at one time.. before i really knew what parts i should be buying..

and if i have to replace all my hardware ill probably go rotogeeks ESC, and bigger motor while im at it. :D crossing fingers i will be fine.. and these are more likely to be damage from current not heat from a solder iron.
chris.

Last edited:

jipp

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250-Carbon-...735?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item259f29210f - I bought this guy and really like it, you can place thing where you want.. The only issue I am having is i cannot get the cc3d board tuned in.... other than that, everything seems like a quality build

first thing i would do is re flash the CC3d.. i doubt it has the latest firmware ( if you are new to this like me.. its just gonna take trial and error to figure out what pids etc do.. lots of learning i have ahead of me this summer ). also, if you break the arms you can get some unbreakable?? thug arms.. something to consider if you break a arm.. you can get them at 3mm stock thickness or 5mm.. thats the way i will go when i have to upgrade arms.

yeah i have the same frame. i picked up some ZMR 12mm spacer kit on ebay from rob.. i like how it allows me to move the PDB under the base plate, and i will double stick the cc3d to the frame. also it has bumpers so you can attache your LED with ease. with out that space im thinking could be a pain to try and install them.. at least with the bumper you can just glue them to the front bumper .

also if you mount the cc3d using the nylon stand offs, get some M3 rubber 0-rings from Ace hardware for .10 a piece i think i paid for 8 of them.. i was originally gonna go that rout before going to double sided tape.
chris.

Last edited: