EBM Fairchild Trainer PT-19 Build Thread

What motor are you running, e.g. Size, doubled etc.? How many winds? Do you hav an indoor venue for initial flights? Or subsequent flights since it's a bit wet in the northwest this time of year.....

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
This is all stuff that I have VERY little knowledge on. It is the rubber that came with the kit and beyond that, I'm not sure. I don't even know how to properly care for it or tie a knot!

I do know that they gave me enough to double it. So I did. End of knowledge.

There's a free flight guy here in the forum somewhere. Josh Orchard I believe. I am also a rubber powered neophyte, even though I have been building rubber powered planes since the early 80's.... It wasn't until I was an adult that I really appreciated the science and skill behind rubber powered free flight.

TexMechsRobot

There's a free flight guy here in the forum somewhere. Josh Orchard I believe. I am also a rubber powered neophyte, even though I have been building rubber powered planes since the early 80's.... It wasn't until I was an adult that I really appreciated the science and skill behind rubber powered free flight.

There's way more too it than I know that's for sure. My skillset has always been around building models and not necessarily flying them. This is one of those cases where there seems to be more information out there than I know what to do with and all of my google searches lead me to statements like "proper care of the rubber motor is critical" and "choosing the right rubber motor for your plane is important" and "your first few flights should be about trimming the plane" but none of them give me enough detail about how to do any of those things or why each step is important. I imagine I'm just going to learn by experimentation and trial and error.

Maybe I'll buy a book about it and read that. This one seems promising.

TexMechsRobot

For Joker 53150 and PsyBorg, this is where I am now.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

The next step is to put a couple of clear coats on it, decals, a small bit of weathering (the person it's going to wants a factory finish but I need to do a couple of things to it), and then a few more clear coats and polish.

TexMechsRobot

Very nice! So this would be before the ground crew in Chile ran equipment into the engines? :)

Actually I did paint the port outboard engine cowling "boeing grey" while the others are white with the aluminum lip. But I thought it was in Argentina earlier this year?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Nice. I like the attention to details like the repair fixes on the engine and leaving it not matching the rest of the plane. This will look even more amazing after all the gfx are added. You should start a thread for just that model so we don't take away from this ones original topic.