EDF and 4s

Fishbonez

Today I attempted to put a 4s 1000mah battery in the Stinger. Unfortunatly had to abort it seemed the ESC would shut down the motor at random moments. Tried gradual climb to WOT and at 1/2 throttle shut down. Boy did it want to just take out of the hand though. the ESC is 30amp 3s and 4s, I wonder if a watt meter would give me an indicator of what was going on? Thoughts any one?

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
There are two that come straight to mind - one is that you need to adjust the ESC timing. If you can't time the problem out with the highest setting on ESC timing, your motor's possibly just not cut out for spinning the fan that fast. Hopefully the ESC timing does the trick. I'm keen to hear what 4s does to the Stinger!

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Oh yeah, some ESCs have more leeway on timing than others. For example, my HK SS 40A OPTO gives you up to 30 degrees, while the Plush ESCs only give 26 from memory...

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
The ESC will probably still overheat... Just it won't cut the throttle at half way...

Programming takes 2 minutes. Probably how long the 30A job will last ;)

Fishbonez

Thanks Lobster...
Boy is this confusing will have to read this a hundred times then give it a shot

Teach I plan to fly the wings off this thing :cool: For now a fw beers and some reading is in order

Last edited:

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Just be ready for the beeps! If you get it wrong, just start over. It won't save the settings unless you follow the procedure exactly.

Just looking at the eflite website and I cringe to think that a simple ESC costs the same as a whole pnf plane on HK... Glad I took up the hobby when I did, and not 10 years ago when their stuff was considered 'reasonably priced'.

Last edited:

Fishbonez

Well got it to work to at least 3/4 throttle before it shut off. Cant seem to figure out how to get out of programming mode to know you did it right

Fishbonez

Doing a bit of research and I am thinking that the motor I have a freewing 4300kv Brushless Outrunner may not be able to handle 4s. Possibly the majic smoke Teach would love to see however I am not interested in smoking this little gem yet. Does anyone have any suggestions for a 4s EDF motor for a 64mm? Well let me rephrase that one that does not cost more than the plane. IE Cyclone holy cow they are pricey LOL

Last edited:

Fishbonez

Well I got it!!!!!

As it turned out it was not a timing issue at all but a switching frequency problem. As I was reading up on different motors for EDFs and some help understanding from a guru at the LHS I learned a little bit about ESC switch freqs. Apparently a 3s uses 8khz and a 4s is 16khz and so on. So I went back to the manual for my esc and learned that change is made in menu 6 and made that change. Oh and learned that all you have to do is just disconect the battery to save the changes. Tried it out and she spooled up and ran like a "Grape Ape." Now the only thing left to do is take her out. Intend to try it this evening or maybe first thing tomorrow.

Stay tuned. Cant wait!!!

Last edited: