EDF jets for beginners?

Marzipan

what are the 'trainer' EDF jets out there for beginners with no experience?

there are plenty of prop (do you call them spinners?) options out there, like the Tiny Trainer and host of other high wing airplanes.

don't get me wrong, I want to fly anything / everything...but the EDF jets really have my attention!

dap35

Elite member
what are the 'trainer' EDF jets out there for beginners with no experience?

there are plenty of prop (do you call them spinners?) options out there, like the Tiny Trainer and host of other high wing airplanes.

don't get me wrong, I want to fly anything / everything...but the EDF jets really have my attention!
I built a GrunJet and intstalled an Aura5 in it. Fly's great.

Marzipan

Horizon Hobby only suggests 1 model for the beginner, the Habu.

it's probably not conducive to EDF flying...but the biggest area I will have to fly is a school yard, so I'm thinking something micro as well.

Last edited:

telnar1236

Elite member
I absolutely agree on the Viggen being great. That said, you probably need more space than a school yard to fly it, especially as a beginner and you really should have experience with at least one other plane first.

I hate to say it, but unless you have an RC club to fly the Habu STS at, you probably are much better off with a prop trainer. If you can find one of the discontinued UMX Habus with safe, that might work in your space. I haven't flown the UMX MiG 15 with SAFE, but you might also reasonably have success with that.

In terms of a scratch-build ultra micro, until you have a lot more experience, it's going to be very frustrating to try. Smaller aircraft are much more sensitive to small construction issues and weight. Again, I would recommend a prop trainer, but if you are determined to do an EDF, I wouldn't go smaller than 50mm unless you can find a UMX EDF with SAFE, and no matter what trainer you find, I would try to find a larger flying field. Small spaces are not conducive to learning and smaller aircraft don't necessarily get slower than large ones.

Another option if you want a jet is to look at prop jets like the FT F-22. You can't tell the difference in the air apart from sound, and they have so much more thrust available and handle slow flight so much better.

dap35

Elite member
how does it fly / handle at low speeds?
It flys very well at low speeds and with the Aura5 FC, the hand launches are really easy, it also provides stabilization and an equivelant to SAFE mode. I do all of my flying at a club, here are a couple of flights:

I agree that a micro is going to be harder to fly, plus as EDFs get smaller, they produce a lot less thrust. It is much more significant that moving to a smaller prop.

Marzipan

yeh, I'm coming to terms that an EDF really isn't an option right now...they require more space to fly than we have access too.

here's a link to the 'ballpark' field we can use when it's free. it's not far from the hospital, so 3 sides are no-fly zones to ensure no interference with medi-vac and such.
https://secure.maac.ca/wcm-docs/airfield-diagrams/20210501135502/Roosevlt png2.png

I don't have anything to fly yet, so was hopeful there was a small and slow EDF that would fit. as the president of the NCRCF said to me, mini / micro's are about the only thing you can maneuver with as if you go bigger you can only fly in one continuous circle.

dap35

Elite member
I have never been that far north in BC before, but I always loved heading across the border when I lived in Seattle, WA.

Marzipan

I have never been that far north in BC before, but I always loved heading across the border when I lived in Seattle, WA.

yeh...we're on a rocky island on the coast at the Similkameen river delta and the river is literally as wide as the valley bottom leaving no open spaces until you drive for about 4.5 hours inland where there is a small village airfield r/c events are held at sometimes. no idea if you can arrange to go there and fly readily though. :p

so the space we have will be okay for the EZ packs and a helicopter, but nothing much more complicated unless it's nano UMX size aircraft.

telnar1236

Elite member
yeh, I'm coming to terms that an EDF really isn't an option right now...they require more space to fly than we have access too.

here's a link to the 'ballpark' field we can use when it's free. it's not far from the hospital, so 3 sides are no-fly zones to ensure no interference with medi-vac and such.
https://secure.maac.ca/wcm-docs/airfield-diagrams/20210501135502/Roosevlt png2.png

I don't have anything to fly yet, so was hopeful there was a small and slow EDF that would fit. as the president of the NCRCF said to me, mini / micro's are about the only thing you can maneuver with as if you go bigger you can only fly in one continuous circle.
That's bigger than I was thinking. Props are still your friend, especially starting off, but you should absolutely be able to work up to a Viggen with a light 3s 64mm EDF setup. If you want something more scale, look at Steve Shumates park jets on RC Groups. You can do those out of foam and they fly great.

Marzipan

That's bigger than I was thinking. Props are still your friend, especially starting off, but you should absolutely be able to work up to a Viggen with a light 3s 64mm EDF setup. If you want something more scale, look at Steve Shumates park jets on RC Groups. You can do those out of foam and they fly great.

to be honest, the jet frames I'm most interested in are the CL-41 Tutor, the BAE Hawk and the F4 Phantom. however I don't think any of those are suitable for a training plane. the first two are fighter trainers, so fast and good for stunts (ala Snowbirds prove that) and the F4P isn't all that maneuverable but is great for long straight high speed runs, LoL!

being real, I bet an appropriately scaled A-10 Warthog would be good as they can fly at an almost stall speed to ensure their BRRRRRZZZT hits where it's supposed to.

I know there are a few UMX A-10 out there that are BNP / RTF, but does anyone know if there are any scaled down even smaller? to say 12 or 15" wingspan?

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
to be honest, the jet frames I'm most interested in are the CL-41 Tutor, the BAE Hawk and the F4 Phantom. however I don't think any of those are suitable for a training plane. the first two are fighter trainers, so fast and good for stunts (ala Snowbirds prove that) and the F4P isn't all that maneuverable but is great for long straight high speed runs, LoL!

being real, I bet an appropriately scaled A-10 Warthog would be good as they can fly at an almost stall speed to ensure their BRRRRRZZZT hits where it's supposed to.

I know there are a few UMX A-10 out there that are BNP / RTF, but does anyone know if there are any scaled down even smaller? to say 12 or 15" wingspan?

someone made an A-10 Warthog design for the 2 channel EZ pack
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/ez-pack-plans-index.66833/

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1thufJqaHtmnrwagH5N_eBBUZVf7tQDM_/view?usp=sharing

Marzipan

@JasonK damn man, you're on a roll! you post everywhere and are quickly on top of a lot of discussions and questions. thank you for being such a helpful and willing resource!

telnar1236

Elite member

So, yeah, the BAE Hawk is even easier to fly than the A-10 as an airframe and both fly pretty well slow. I just don't know of any smaller models, but once you've done some building, a light 50mm EDF BAE Hawk wouldn't be too bad to design. That said, delta wings, especially deltas with canards are able to slow down so much more. A lightly loaded delta will slow down more than just about anything else.

Marzipan

So, yeah, the BAE Hawk is even easier to fly than the A-10 as an airframe and both fly pretty well slow. I just don't know of any smaller models, but once you've done some building, a light 50mm EDF BAE Hawk wouldn't be too bad to design. That said, delta wings, especially deltas with canards are able to slow down so much more. A lightly loaded delta will slow down more than just about anything else.

interesting. how small can you scale a Hawk down too? could you fly with smaller EDF? it's like a dwarf F4P LoL!

also, what makes the A-10 hard to fly?

dap35

Elite member
interesting. how small can you scale a Hawk down too? could you fly with smaller EDF? it's like a dwarf F4P LoL!

also, what makes the A-10 hard to fly?
The two A-10's I have dealt with need some up elevator and a fair bit of speed to get off the ground, but flew well. I suspect the Hawk flies great, but might not quite be the trainer class.

I will second the comment on delta wings being able to really slow down. I built an X-32 and once I trimmed the belly down, it flew very well. It can be floaty and does a nice nose up landing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_X-32