Elevator trim to compensate throttle

Zach M

I'm an FPV enthusiast, currently addicted to the FT Versa. I'm working on my low level flying between trees and such, and am wanting to see how fast I can make a lap. One problem. The faster I go, the more the Versa wants to climb - not surprisingly - but I'm getting tired of having to adjust the trim based on my speed. It's very difficult to do while trying to fly about a foot and a half above the ground and fly between trees.

Anybody know of a way to have elevator trim automatically adjust to compensate more thrust/lift? Thanks!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Anybody know of a way to have elevator trim automatically adjust to compensate more thrust/lift? Thanks!
First trim the plane to fly straight and level at full throttle. Then setup a throttle to elevator mix to compensate for any other speed.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Something else to check is your balance. If it's overly nose heavy, it'll climb at full throttle. I know, sounds counter intuitive, but that'll happen with it not being balanced correctly.

Also, are you running it in a tractor configuration (prop and motor at the nose of the wing) or are you running it in a pusher configuration (at the back)? If it's in a pusher configuration, did you cut out the top of the wing so that the motor sits flat on the wing, or is it angled so that the motor shaft is pointing down at the ground? Thrust angle can cause these wings to fly screwy like that as well.

I'm asking this stuff because I myself have done this dumb stuff, and found the wings don't fly well if not properly balanced or the thrust angle is set wrong, it'll cause weird flying characteristics. Learned by trial and error. :) Not sure if that's what's happening here, but better to ask and at least check...

Piotrsko

Master member
First trim the plane to fly straight and level at full throttle. Then setup a throttle to elevator mix to compensate for any other speed.
Or if you a dinosaur like me, trim if for what you want, move trim lever periodically. Couple clicks down will stop the nasty climb tendency. Be advised flying close to the edges of the sky causes aircraft damage