Elmers Multi-Purpose spray glue

BobK

Banned
I have been using 3M Super 77 spray glue with mixed results and was looking for an alternative that might work better and decided to try Elmers mulit-purpose, so far it looks good and I was wondering if anyone else has tried it and what their thoughts were. Super 77 works well, but it seems to have a discoloration, also if not used carefully it eats foam. The Elmers to me is drying clearer and doesn't seem to bother foam, and it has a lighter/dryer feeling to it.

Since I am using spray glue as an adhesive to try covering foam with plastic dollar store gift wrap I need something that sticks well, Super 77 works well for this, but I am trying to do an open structure with transparent film so cloudiness has been an issue. I plan to use gift wrap on balsa planes also so I really want to get rid of the cloudiness or at least most of it, Elmers seems to stay clearer. I have yet to try it to cover, so maybe then I will find an issue.

My ultimate goal would be to find a spray adhesive that I can use to make self-adhesive/heat activated covering (just like regular model airplane covering) at a fraction of the cost. I would like to unroll a full 8 foot roll of gift wrap..spray it and let dry..then roll it back up. Long-shot..maybe. I have tested and I do know I can let Super 77 dry (as far as it will dry anyway) and apply it with an iron on low heat, the glue does reactivate, but Super 77 does not dry enough ever to not stick if the wrap is rolled back up..I think Elmers will. Shrinking the plastic wrap works well after it is applied, nothing to worry about there.

Now, I bought a 4oz. can my local Wal-Mart fo $2.97 and had to double-check my receipt because on the website is shows $7.04..I can't explain that, it is the same can. Super 77 is running $10 for 7oz.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Elmer-s-Multi-Purpose-Aerosol-Spray-Adhesive/19794380

http://www.walmart.com/ip/3M-3702-4262-3m-7-Oz-Super-77-Spray-Adhesive-77-SUP/20370819

My tests, Elmers on the left..77 on the right. I apologize for the horrible pictures, Santa didn't bring me a new camera this year. The picture of the foam is of bare foam, difficult to see but the 77 has ate and discolered it even with a light coat where the Elmers didn't seem to bother it at all. This is sprayed on clear plastic gift wrap, the blue background and yellow marks are my workbench showing through..not discoloration from the glues, but it shows the difference in clarity.

IMGP7185.JPG

IMGP7182.JPG

Here are a couple of pictures using gift wrap as covering with Super 77, it shows the foggy cloudiness I am trying to get away from. Granted, on solid colors or solid structures this would not be an issue at all.

5.JPG

6.JPG

I would like to hear any thoughts,suggestions, or experiences. I can't afford to try every glue on the market, but if someone has a better choice of adhesive I would like to hear about it.

Last edited:

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
I have some 3M77, but I use it to stick layers of foam together. Never tried it with the giftwrap. I would suggest that you only spray the leading and trailing edges of the wrap. Tack those down and get rid of the wrinkles with a heat gun. If you are using foam without paper covering you are probably stuck (npi) with coating all the wrap for strength.

Ron B

I print out my emblems on my ink jet printer and tried to use elmers spray to put them on and it penetrated the paper and left the emblem discolored but works well when I laminate my emblems then glue them on with the spray.
so far the only problem with this method is the laminate dos not bend and I have to use hot glue drops to hold around the bend while the elmers is drying.

BobK

Banned
I have some 3M77, but I use it to stick layers of foam together. Never tried it with the giftwrap. I would suggest that you only spray the leading and trailing edges of the wrap. Tack those down and get rid of the wrinkles with a heat gun. If you are using foam without paper covering you are probably stuck (npi) with coating all the wrap for strength.

Trying to spray just the TE/LE etc is how I have been doing it, just the overspray is enough to cloud the center..I resorted to laying a piece of wax paper over the center while spraying, which works ok. As I mentioned even though it is an incredible long-shot I would love to find something where I could lay out a whole roll, spray it, and then be able to roll it back up again after it dries like regular covering film.

My first attempt I sprayed the edges of the workpiece first then applied the gift wrap, it was a sticky pain but it didn't come out terrible at all.

IMGP7142.JPG

This wing I sprayed the wrap first then applied it, it was easier to handle this way. I usually like to do the whole side of a wing in one piece but went with one panel at a time here, it could be done in just one piece. I am leaving the paper on here but plan to remove it completely in the future, then I would probably need to tack it down over the complete surface for strength.

7.JPG

Ron you might need a thinner laminate? If you are gluing paper to paper I wonder how a regular glue stick would work without laminating your emblem.

Last edited:

Ron B

I laminate the emblems so they are waterproof but if i used white glue then sprayed with clear sealer it might work I just haven't tried it

BobK

Banned
This gift wrap I am using comes in clear also, might be another way to protect your emblems..just a thought.

BobK

Banned
Well..the plane is getting more blue. I did the fuse tonight using the Elmers and it didn't impress me an awful lot. It sticks well, I can put the wrap on after the glue dries and use an iron to reactivate the glue and stick it down. The wrap can be put on right after spraying but it needs to dry before shrinking any wrinkles out, if i let the glue dry then apply the wrap with an iron it can be shrunk right away. It still clouds in the open areas if I get spray in those areas, I am not sure if either glue is better.

As far as using gift wrap I have one issue but that is with any transparent material, every seam shows up with really no way to hide them. It seems to be working well as a covering material so far, it is light and quite strong adding quite a bit of strength to the airframe. Next time I do this I will be removing the paper from the foam.

This is my 135% Schoolgirl vintage biplane, you can check out Jon's thread on it here..

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?24971-Schoolgirl-biplane-DT-foam-board-maiden-flight

IMGP7200.JPG

IMGP7201.JPG

IMGP7202.JPG

BobK

Banned
I thought there wasn't any interest so I didn't continue on this, I just want to mention I really haven't found a preferred spray glue, everything I have used does the job well. This was the outcome on the biplane..

1.JPG

2.JPG

I have since been messing around with painting the inside/bottom of the clear gift wrap and using it to cover my Goldberg Ranger, seems to be working like I intended. Jons Ranger thread can be found at this link http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?21498-Carl-Goldberg-Ranger-30&highlight=ranger

IMGP0687.JPG

Last edited:

TooJung2Die

Master member
I went to Dollar Tree today to stock up on foamboard. I picked up a few rolls of red, blue and clear gift wrap. I haven't covered an airplane with Monokote for a very long time. If using this gift wrap and spray glue is anything like the same process I should do okay. The hamster wheel is turning and working on a new airplane design. ;) Painting the inside of the clear wrap was an ingenious idea.

I hope you get the Schoolgirl in the air real soon!

Jon

BobK

Banned
It is a lot like covering with Monokote but a few things are different, of course this isn't high quality covering lol. It gets easier as you go, best advice I can give is start out with the lowest heat you can and work up from there..same with shrinking. I laid the covering out on wax paper to spray the glue and tried to spray only where I wanted it to stick so mainly the edges and around any cutouts like servo holes etc. I sprayed glue then let it tack for a few mins before putting it on. Maybe practice on some scrap DTFB so you get a feel for it. I had best luck letting the glue set overnight before shrinking, you can shrink it right after it is applied but it is really easy to pull a seam if the glue is still tacky.

Thats about it, you just need to do it and you will get a feel for it. :)

The Schoolgirl is ready to go, I've been kind of waiting for that "perfect" evening but that doesn't look like it is going to happen. I need to quit worrying about wrecking it and just fly the darn thing, I still feel like I spent tons of money on it but I didn't lol..hard to lose that old feeling.

Working on the Ranger tonight, I dug out a Turnigy 2632 motor that I have had forever but never used. It is listed on the HK website but there is no way those specs are right..it says 40A/1850g thrust..I doubt it. I'm thinking 20A max 900g thrust, so I am going to use it and see what happens.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8503__Turnigy_2632_Brushless_Motor_1500kv.html

Good luck on covering, just take your time and give it a chance, it got a bit frustrating at first but like I said the more I use it the easier it is.

TooJung2Die

Master member
I want to remove the paper and coat the foam with gift wrap. Does the gift wrap shrink at a lower temperature than the foam? I'd hate to have the foam melt and shrink along with the covering. Don't laugh but I've never owned a covering iron. When I was young I used to use my Mom's clothing iron when she wasn't looking and cleaned it real good before putting it away. I plan on using my wife's iron in the same way. :) Okay you can laugh.

BobK

Banned
I want to remove the paper and coat the foam with gift wrap. Does the gift wrap shrink at a lower temperature than the foam? I'd hate to have the foam melt and shrink along with the covering. Don't laugh but I've never owned a covering iron. When I was young I used to use my Mom's clothing iron when she wasn't looking and cleaned it real good before putting it away. I plan on using my wife's iron in the same way. :) Okay you can laugh.

I'm not laughing, when I was young I did the same thing :D. I bought an actual covering iron many years ago and it finally quit working just a few months ago, so I went to the thrift store and bought a used compact travel clothes iron for $ .50 and it works great, the compact travel size irons are about 5/8 or so the size of a regular iron. Don't buy a new one, it is cheaper to buy a covering iron, but if you happen to run on to a cheap used one they work well. :)

Use low heat on both the iron and heat gun (hair dryer will work fine) and it shouldn't melt the foam, you only need the iron hot enough to soften the glue and even if the glue is dry it will soften with heat, also the iron on low heat will "form" the gift wrap over corners/edges.

Hopefully that helps, keep me posted if you have any questions or problems and I will try to help best I can.