ESC/ battery compatability

MaxTheFliteFreak

Hello, I recently discovered that Li-Ion batteries can give you a longer flight time but with less power and I was immediately intrigued. I was wondering if I could use a Li-Ion battery with a plane that had a Li-Po ESC?

Ligbaer

50 Percenter
Hello, I recently discovered that Li-Ion batteries can give you a longer flight time but with less power and I was immediately intrigued. I was wondering if I could use a Li-Ion battery with a plane that had a Li-Po ESC?
If your esc has a maximum voltage of 11.1v (3s lipo) you would buy a li-ion with a with a nominal voltage of 11.1v or less. The one person who i know who knows a quite a bit about li-ions is unfortunately has been banned so maybe some li-ion experts could pop in.

HVB79

It depends on what features the ESC in the plane offers. You don't need a different ESC to run the motor but you need to adjust the low voltage cutoff setting.

The battery voltage cutoff is lower on Li-Ion batteries so you my not be able to use the full capacity unless you have an ESC with an programmable cutoff voltage. Some ESCs let you specify the exact voltage, some have three pre-set values to pick from and some are not programmable at all.

MaxTheFliteFreak

It depends on what features the ESC in the plane offers. You don't need a different ESC to run the motor but you need to adjust the low voltage cutoff setting.

The battery voltage cutoff is lower on Li-Ion batteries so you my not be able to use the full capacity unless you have an ESC with an programmable cutoff voltage. Some ESCs let you specify the exact voltage, some have three pre-set values to pick from and some are not programmable at all.
Ok, thanks for the advice. I will see if I can programme it. So, are you saying that it is possible?

HVB79

Yes it is possible you just need to use a Li-Ion battery with the correct voltage for your ESC and take care of the battery cut off issue.
See: