Even the name brands have QC issues occasionally

SteevyT

So I'm working on building a Versa Wing. I have had it cut out for about 2 weeks now, but I just keep running into issues with not having enough time to build because of school. I get a chance to work on it today, and make quick work of getting the wing halves (quarters?) taped together, and all nicely beveled. I centered up the servos (Hitec servos, not bad at about $9 apiece, and I don't have to wait for them) and one of them jitters around center, fairly badly too. Oh well, I guess everyone has off days. Versa wing on hold again since I can't fold the wing up without the servos in it.

Team_Monkey

What servos did you use?
The HS-81 servos had a terrible reputation for bad centering and wandering. I bought a bunch when I got started and then found out they were junk. I had 100% failure of them. All my other Hitec servos have been great, just those blasted 81s.

I hope you have better luck. :)

SteevyT

I have HS-55's. I'm not sure if they are technically 9g servos, they seem really light, but they do have plenty of power for foamy planes it seems.

andybenton

NERD!!!! :)
Yeah, I've been using the hs55 servos for a long time. I've gotten about 4 or 5 bad ones out of... Well god only knows how many...
Try contacting hitec, or your lhs and see what they'll do for ya

MrClean

You think that's bad? I had 81's on all my Class B combat ships. The first 8 or so I had were decent so I bought a bunch more. I had the darn things on the full flying elevators of my last combat ships. Luckily, my season ended real early that year. Couple months later while flying slope planes from the same lot I started having problems and I had a little sport plane with them that never would sit still. Turned out it was the 81's not centering and then just going full lock one way or the other. They came out with the feather receiver about the same time and I never had one of those that had reception past 15 feet. All the other stuff I've had from them were fantastic but those things, WOW.

I'm suprised these little blue 9 grams were so well. I don't think I've had one of them go bad yet that I haven't smashed.

SteevyT

I packed it up and took it back. I explained what was going on, and they just handed me a new one and took the old one. Of course, I can't walk into that store without buying something so I got another servo just because I want one to play around with.

andybenton

NERD!!!! :)
steevyT

are you in purdue Indiana?

my hobby shop (is in Louisville) and they only deal with hitech, traxxas, and savox... the savox servos are new to me, but im thinking of giving them a shot.

I wish I had decent luck with hk servos.

the last batch I ordered, of ten... I got 6 that worked well. two that had bad teeth out of the box. and two that were DOA.
oh well, I guess for the price you cant complain.

good news is, I pulled the gears out of the dead ones, put them in the ones with bad gears, and had 8 working servos.

aiidanwings

There are different kinds of servo jitter, interference and strain induced.

Strain induced is caused by the weight of a control surface pulling the servo slightly off center causing the servo to continually attempt to recenter. This can sometimes be fixed by moving the control rod one hole further from the end of the servo arm, or changing the servo position from a 'pull' position to a 'push' position. Sometimes stiffening the control surface hinge works.

If it jitters without the control rod connected, its probably interference. I've found that tightly winding the servo leads can sometimes lessen jitter in this case. If you have an iron ferrite ring from an old ESC, it could help if placed on the servo lead. There are other solutions, but they cost money..

I still use analog servos. No jitter, and they last forever.

MrClean

Don't put it in anything you value. I waited 5 years before I bought the lot I had to the new one I bought, it was junk so I'll never buy another 81.

kindof has to do with this. I bought 2 1800KV E-flite Motors for 35 bucks a pop, only to find one has bad bearings! its frustrating when you pay for a quality product and get a sad excuse for it.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Buy from China direct or through a local store. Still a China product in many cases. My Dell PC motherboard is "Made in China"!

Thurmond

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
I'm building a tricopter and needed a strong servo for the tail. I ordered an expensive Hitec all-metal gear HS5085MG. It jittered constantly and would only move intermittently when you asked nicely. I was able to return it for a refund. The Hitec was on a recommended parts list, but the quality was so poor I'll look elsewhere in the future. It made me wonder if they were counterfeit.

Best regards,
PCH