Extremely Diappointed in FF2015 Attendees

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
The forums have been dead the past few days.
Nobody has posted so much as a single picture....
No Funny Crash Stories....
Does JHitesma really look like the UnaBomber?
Did Alex have his baby?
It's as if nobody cares about those of us who are stuck back at home.
Maybe FF 2015 was really bad?
The same goes for FGA out at the Nats (somewhat excusable - his cell probably doesn't work here).

C'mon you slackers - give!

Best regards,
PCH

brettp2004

I was at FF on Friday just for the day. It was a blast, I picked up a fly zone beaver for an unbelievable price. There is barely any cell reception out there thoug so posting pics and videos might be pretty difficult.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I posted a bit of a recap in my thread in the multirotor forum - including a nice seasick inducing video from my hex while flying LOS acrobatics :D

Will have photos soon. But probably not until late Monday. Have to pack up and enjoy the last day at my parents today. Will ask my mom to get her photos up for sharing as well.

I had decent cell coverage there...but for some reason my phone was sucking it's battery dry super fast. So uploading from the field was tricky and I didn't get to snap many cell photos due to my battery dying.

Here's the jet demo from Saturday:

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Here's a little teaser of Peters latest creation:

11733843_10152889073861805_958353228_o.jpg

11692568_10152889036891805_2974528851354546490_n.jpg

There were a few other special builds but they weren't finished by the time I had to leave.

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
I took lots of pictures and videos last year. This year I had the wife and kids with me and not even a single photo was taken, I wanted to share it with them because they did not make it last year. I think there is a lot of that this year. Everyone there is enjoying the experience, and there is still a ton of pictures and videos being taken. Don't worry! There will be plenty of videos and photos on the forums over the next week or two as people start going through the photos and videos they did shoot.

Burly

Last year I attended 2 days for Flite Fest 2014, and the setup and weather was perfect. I left Saturday afternoon after the watching the balloon launch and podcast...right before they had the drenching thunderstorm. So last year the weather, for the most part, cooperated.

The weather this year is a completely different story. I was able to attended for only a few hours on Friday from 11am to 2pm. While driving up from Columbus Ohio, I hit steady light rain just west of Massilon, Oh. When I got to Flite Fest it was still lightly drizzling and they were spreading bales of hay to help control the mud. The volunteer in the parking lot said Thursday was wet...to the point that a few vehicles had gotten stuck.

Saturday was their best day overall...you can see blue skies during the noon-time jet demonstration. Then today, Sunday, the radar shows they will be getting very steady rain starting about 1:00 in the afternoon, and lasting for at least 2-3 hours. So I imagine most people will be pulling out before then, otherwise there will be a lot more mud and stuck vehicles.

The bottom line is that I think the weather put a big damper on this year's event.
That's a big driver for the lack of posts, pictures, and videos.

Also, my overall impression of this year's event is that things were packed in...

The vendor tents were wall to wall, and everything seemed to be closer to the flight line. Also half the vendor tents were in a second row, and not on the flight line. This was true last year...but to a much lesser extent. Ideally, the vendor tents, especially the big vendors, should be on the flight line on either side of the builds tent...and the food concessions in the second row along with the very small mom and pop RC vendors.

And, what was a big open grass flying field last year, was now planted in soybeans that had grown to about 1 foot high. I'm sure there will be many lost planes left behind out in those beans.

One thing is for certain..."Flite Fest is going to need a bigger boat"..(a la Jaws 1975...40-year anniversary).

But weather aside, for the short time I spent there, I had a good time. I watched the combat, and came away with some items purchased from the Flite Test Tent...2-Versa Kits and a 200 watt Adtech glue gun(very substantial glue gun).

The trouble with all the RC events held in the eastern part of the USA is the weather issue. "IT'S ALWAYS A CRAPSHOOT". There was a Florida FPV event this past spring attended by Stone Blue Airlines. It looked like the mother of all mud fests.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxPH1V-2oBo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6epPaZIHgA

Perhaps if a Flite Fest West is in the cards, a time and location could be chosen that would take the whole weather issue off the table.

Corbarrad

Well, I can only repeat what the other participants said: I was too busy having fun to post. Also, I was afraid I'd use up my data allotment before the week was out. Now Verizon tells me I have $45 of credit left...
I had quite the arventure coming to the US and I'm planning to attend again next year. More comprehensive report when I get back.

Timmy P

Flite Fest was a total blast! I got there around 2pm on thursday. We set up our campsites and our two easy ups and just enjoyed the outdoor life for a change. Rain would come. then go. then come. then...... So it was a good day to finish projects, meet your neighbors and do some shopping.. We got to do plenty of night flying on thursday.. I had almost zero service on Sprint using An iPhone 4s. So it was a great weekend to "disconnect" and just enjoy the people and things around me.. Absolutely no complaints here. (although it would have been great to have Mrs. Fury's cafe open again this year :)
Almost everything I wished for last year was done right this year.. Thee only thing I wish was still done a bit better is the PA announcements.. Even being at a camp site on the second row and about 5/8 of the way back from the main flight line. With everyone around us using generators it was hard to hear it or even know an announcement was made. But you could be farther away from the PA and with out the generators you could hear it. So I dont blame FT at all..
Also with vendors some of it had to do with scheduling.. Some of the bigger vendors couldn't make it till later friday. So Im sure they lost their spot or its just how things worked out. The flow of things was much better when it came to shopping and seeing all the vendors.. Last year some vendors were tucked away in spots I'm sure many didnt even see.. They had many more food vendors.. Some great, some average. Some just cool and unique. If you didnt have the pulled pork this week, I weep for you.. It was sooo good. I wanted to try a wrap from the solar truck but slow cooked piggy easily drew me away from their delicious cold healthy wraps lol.. And I remember seeing that a Taco truck was supposed to be there.. The first day not seeing it I almost cried. But then the BBQ truck opened and I forgot about tacos..
I have a few pictures and videos Ill get uploaded once I unload my truck and equipment. I would highly highly recommend going if at all possible.. Rain or shine it its just an amazing experience with absolutely phenomenal people to talk to and share ideas with. I had a few people fly my creations.. And I flew a few others.. Even seen iCrash out there and he brought a plane he built from my Cessna 180 plans. So many great times and memories made. I had Alex Peter and Bixler playing pass the controller with my 180. Then loved it! I was geekin out!! I love Flite Test/Fest See you all next year

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I posted some stuff to my IG and the Facebook group flitetest fans when there was reception. It was just too hard to get a signal to visit the forums.

Strix

FliteFest was great this year! Many things were better, some things were worse (the weather), but overall it felt more like a family re-union than a giant RC fun-fly.

We got in on Wednesday and hurried to set up camp before the rain came. We got a few breaks here and there, but the rain didn't completely stop until noonish on Friday. It was still pretty overcast, but on Saturday the sun came out and dried up much of the mud. It also burned many people, myself included, LOL.

First thing Thursday morning I ran into my campsite neighbors from last year, Sam and Charlie and their father Scott.

I also had the chance to thank Ed from Experimental Airlines personally for all his great videos and build techniques.

I shared a laugh with Chris from the podcast while we watched some extremely fast Bloody Wonders tear up the sky.

I helped a father and son complete a blunt-nose Versa wing in time for night-flying on Friday (video below).

I watched NerdNic fly a freshly-built P-39 at ludicrous speeds.

I saw not one, but two awesome demos- a large 3D gasser demo and then one of the AMA reps flew their turbine-powered ARG Dynamo for our amusement.

And I witnessed Peter's awesome group-built multi-plane's successful flight.

I could go on and on, so I'll just stop there.

I really hope that those that couldn't attend this year will be able to make it next year. I know that I will be encouraging several more of my flying buddies to attend.

arizona has great weather,but the ratio of heat baked crazy people is high.
eloy/arizona city is a mecca for aviation activity,with skydiving,stunt planes(Kirby chambliss lives just down the road),soaring(sailplanes),balloning,and has been a spot for free flight and DLG meets for 60 years.
the fall is the best flying weather,so a FF west would be great here(i wouldnt have far to drive!)

airhawk

Crashing Ace
I posted a bit of a recap in my thread in the multirotor forum - including a nice seasick inducing video from my hex while flying LOS acrobatics :D

Will have photos soon. But probably not until late Monday. Have to pack up and enjoy the last day at my parents today. Will ask my mom to get her photos up for sharing as well.

I had decent cell coverage there...but for some reason my phone was sucking it's battery dry super fast. So uploading from the field was tricky and I didn't get to snap many cell photos due to my battery dying.

Here's the jet demo from Saturday:

ft bag confermed!:)

RichB

I'm still reeling from the awesomeness.

Everything was amazing. I couldn't have found time to post online even if I had internet access there just because it was nonstop activity.

For me the best part was just meeting so many like-minded people and spending time with them. The actual amount of flying I did was maybe less than 10 minutes.

Personal highlights for me:
- Crashing my quad on the race course hard enough to set it on fire
- Passing my Fatsharks around to random kids who were spectating the FPV races
- IBCrazy being my spotter on the racing
- Bixler helping me maiden a flying wing I built over a year ago
- Hanging out with Austin at the fire pit into the wee hours of the morning
- Helping some new friends in loading down an apprentice with over 10,000 lumens of LEDS to the point it couldn't even fly

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I just tagged FT on facebook with his but here's the BW I built on Friday, flew in Combat on Saturday, and today converted into a chuck glider for my 3.5 year old nephew (that's a soft foam ball on the nose, a few bolts behind it for weight to balance it out.) I left the servos in since the B pack I used had more than enough to spare and maybe my brother in law will get inspired to build something with them to actually fly once this falls apart :D

11724899_10152890844966805_277556821_o.jpg

FTFF15

FliteFest 2015 was an amazing event! I met many of those who I admired on IG, the forums, Facebook, and any others that come to mind. FliteFest 2015 is an event that is heavily dependent on the volunteers and the community, which is one of the reasons that it will continue to achieve great amounts of success for the years to come. In a matter of 2 years, this has become an event that you have to attend. Sorry I wasn't able to upload any more photos at this point but will attempt to get as many of the event as possible. Thanks to all fellow volunteers for making such an amazing event possible.
IMG_1177.jpg IMG_1193.JPG IMG_1213.JPG IMG_1217.JPG IMG_1206.JPG