EZ 3chMicro Twin SR-71 Profile Build

Vimana89

Legendary member
2 Motors shut down in flight(worst case, 1 dies in flight). Explain how you fly it?
You don't, there's no way around that. Just the same as any other plane that utilizes the FT EZ 3ch micro pack. That's a drawback inherent to the system, whether using it on one of the FT planes made for it or when using it on a custom design. It's light, it's convenient, and costs $40. If it crashes, I'll live with it.

If I wanted more scale authenticity, full roll maneuverability, etc. I'd go with at least a 4ch prop-in-slot design, but now we're talking more weight and complexity on a design that's somewhat finicky and has pretty poor lift economics. I have 4ch planes, and plan on making plenty more. That isn't the point of this build attempt, to make a decked out, fully capable SR-71, It's just to take the FT EZ 3ch pack and go "what can I make with this that's cool?"

I'm not going for anything high-performance, just a simple little profile park flyer that looks like an SR-71 and can cruise around in basic flight, nothing fancy.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
You don't, there's no way around that. Just the same as any other plane that utilizes the FT EZ 3ch micro pack. That's a drawback inherent to the system, whether using it on one of the FT planes made for it or when using it on a custom design. It's light, it's convenient, and costs $40. If it crashes, I'll live with it.

If I wanted more scale authenticity, full roll maneuverability, etc. I'd go with at least a 4ch prop-in-slot design, but now we're talking more weight and complexity on a design that's somewhat finicky and has pretty poor lift economics. I have 4ch planes, and plan on making plenty more. That isn't the point of this build attempt, to make a decked out, fully capable SR-71, It's just to take the FT EZ 3ch pack and go "what can I make with this that's cool?"

I'm not going for anything high-performance, just a simple little profile park flyer that looks like an SR-71 and can cruise around in basic flight, nothing fancy.
Boom. (y)

L Edge

Master member

Here is a video showing some of the problems you have to deal with.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Good video, this will be much harder than I though. The first thing I have to do is get the power pack working right on more basic designs and see if this project would be feasible at all. Honestly, it might not, but if I think there's a chance it is, I'll try it.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Good video, this will be much harder than I though. The first thing I have to do is get the power pack working right on more basic designs and see if this project would be feasible at all. Honestly, it might not, but if I think there's a chance it is, I'll try it.
I'll be following!

GrizWiz

Elite member
I would love to help with the build! I only have the 2 channel but I will try to make it work! I'm going to start making some basic plans!

GrizWiz

Elite member
Finished the plans and the build seems to fly OK in my room...
I cut some popsicle sticks for the nose to make it more sturdy just let me know if you want them added to the plans

there is tiled and full size(I would use tiled) only 3 pages!

Also I feel bad for stealing your idea but hope this helps!

Attachments

• BlackBirdEZTiledV1.1.pdf
    12.3 KB · Views: 0
  • BlackBirdEZFullV1.1.pdf
    11.4 KB · Views: 0

GrizWiz

Elite member
Pictures!!!
16009988965884392996496045054852.jpg
16009989383706023569855914904218.jpg
16009989735284239513158491177816.jpg

Also when attaching motors put them so there wire is on the bottom it will make it easier to remove them! Like in the last photo!

Vimana89

Legendary member

GrizWiz

Elite member
Nice work! looks like that might just fly. You didn't steal anything. If I didn't want anyone to try the idea I'd just say nothing and wait until I had a working model. I'm happy for help testing and developing the concept(y)
Thanks!

L Edge

Master member

When I was evaluating, i looked at videos what was going wrong. Even looked at a turbine Sr-71 at Top Gun(large scale meet) and man, the yaw problem on takeoff was very evident. All I was doing is to try to make you aware by asking questions and why. The easiest way is "prop in the slot" which still has minor adjustments. This is why there are very few built due to it's shape.
Even flying it requires attention to detail. The Top Gun pilot gave me many clues on how to fly it.

GrizWiz

Elite member
When I was evaluating, i looked at videos what was going wrong. Even looked at a turbine Sr-71 at Top Gun(large scale meet) and man, the yaw problem on takeoff was very evident. All I was doing is to try to make you aware by asking questions and why. The easiest way is "prop in the slot" which still has minor adjustments. This is why there are very few built due to it's shape.
Even flying it requires attention to detail. The Top Gun pilot gave me many clues on how to fly it.
Cool thanks will the yaw effect a hand launch?

GrizWiz

Elite member
For yours, if the motors are not sync, it is possible. Looks heavy, where are your control surfaces?
Explain how you intend to launch in detail?
I don't have to 3 channel pack but if you look at the plans there is the elevator! Just a simple hand launch like usual I will check the weight 🙂

GrizWiz

Elite member
Well first maiden did not go to well...
It just barrel rolled into the ground and did not fly at all:(
I wonder if you use the 3 channel pack the elevator will stabilize it.
I'm am going to try different motor position and try to learn a bit more about how the actual one flys.

L Edge

Master member
I don't have to 3 channel pack but if you look at the plans there is the elevator! Just a simple hand launch like usual I will check the weight 🙂

So what your telling me there is a FC that does the work. If that is so, you have no way of making changes. So, I guess you just try. If the nose goes up, your tail heavy. It it heads for the ground, try moving aft.

GrizWiz

Elite member
So what your telling me there is a FC that does the work. If that is so, you have no way of making changes. So, I guess you just try. If the nose goes up, your tail heavy. It it heads for the ground, try moving aft.
It was just rolling like heck