Fast gasser?

asthenia

I am trying to build a gas plane around 30cc and I want the most speed I can get. What kind of speeds are possible with gas at this size? What are the characteristics of a fast gasser? Thanks!

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
There a lot's of planes you could choose from, so I can't say for certain, but there are some 3D gassers of that size that'll hit 80+ KPH.

asthenia

This is going to be a 3D printed plane i'm working on, so I don't need a specific airframe or anything. I'm looking for a lot more than 80KPH. Around 190.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
3D printed airframes tend not to behave well under that kind of stress. Might I ask why you are 3D printing your plane? If you are dead set on 3D printing, you will need lots of structural re enforcements.

Team_Monkey

You are hunting in the wrong tree. Gassers are great at what they do but getting one to go 190kph (roughly 120mph for local folks) is going to be really hard without specialized porting and milling in the engine.

The experts of going fast with gassers are the Unlimited Scale Racing Association. They run custom built, alcohol burning, 80+cc engines that cost upwards of $3000 - $5000 USD.

If you really want a large airframe to go fast, a cheaper more likely avenue will be to use electric where you can tailor the RPM to match the propeller you need to run. Something like an 8S power plant spinning an APC 16x16 pattern prop might work.

I wish you luck though!