Feiyu Tech Mini-3D 3 Axis Gimbal Initial Review.

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
Not long ago, I decided to cut corners and buy a $40 Gimbal for my AP Hex. That tuenrd out to be unfruitful. Not that the Gimbal didn't work... it did... It just didn't work well.

At the LHS the other day I was talking to one of the permanent fixtures there about this issue. He recommended I look at the Feiyu Tech Mini-3D 3 axis Gimbal (henceforth referred to as the FY3D. He advised that he owned two of them, and liked them more than his Zenmuse gimbals. That wouldn't be too surprising, if the FY3D wasn't less than $175. $174.95 to be exact at this particular LHS. With the promise that I could return it if it wasn't EXACTLY what I was looking for, I didn't see what I had to lose. Well, other than $187.72 after tax.

20150827_200806_zpsme0oaewc.jpg

20150827_200834_zpsab808qvd.jpg

20150827_200818_zpsudrotfk4.jpg

First impressions... MUCH higher quality than my $40 GoodLuckBuy cheapie. The instruction manual is lacking, but adequate for assembly and understanding where the leads go and the min/max voltage requirements. Nothing on switching settings with the tx though... that takes a little guesswork. The fit and finish is very nice, except the rail mount standoffs. The top plate holes were slightly wider than the screw inserts on the standoffs. With a little fanagling it went together OK.

Next, the power lead is incorrect. It comes with a JST connector, but the male end, not the female end so I needed to fabricate an adapter to connect it to a power supply. No big deal.

After installation and mounting the GoPro, I found that it comes with a short lead that plugs into the Mini USB port on the camera, and apparently SOMEWHERE on the gimbal. Try as I might, I couldn't see where it was supposed to plug in, and there was no mention in the manual. A little google-fu showed that the input was cleverly hidden beneath a tiny strip of foam that I would have never found. Not ever. (see picture below for location) Good thing someone had though, because it creates a bypass for your video output and power input for the camera. Well, kind of the power input. The lead has a 4 prong output plug, but only 3 wires. If you want to power the camera in flight, you need to purchase another lead with 4 wires. No big deal. It's nice that the wires will never be in the way or hinder the movement of the gimbal though.

20150827_200935_zpsygv0xzra.jpg

When powering it up for the first time, the camera did a little dance and it leveled out. Well, kind of leveled out... it was about 2 degrees off level (which you will see in the quick demo video later) and that needs to be resolved in the software you download from the FY website.

Before toying with any of that, I decided to try a test video. It went great, but the camera really bobbled around a lot. This was due to the REALLY soft vibration dampening balls that were included. I bet they work great in the winter, but for anything north of 30 degrees, they are just too soft. I almost completely resolved that by inserting soft foam earplugs into the ball. Yes, I crammed an earplug inside each of the four dampening balls right through the tiny little hole in the top. Firmed them up quite a bit and really helped with the bobbling.

After installing the USB driver and setting software, I still can't get the two to communicate. The computer recognizes that the gimbal is plugged it, the software recognizes the port that the gimbal is utilizing, but they won't talk to one another. I will figure that out soon enough... probably withe the help of my more computer savvy friends.

After installing the pitch control lead to my rx and setting the mins and maxes in my transmitter I took it out for another flight. By this time it was about 7:30 and darkish, so the video quality is less than awesome. At least I THINK that's the reason the image quality is crap. It's a new (used) camera (GoPro Hero3 Silver), so who knows.

The system seems to be unaffected by vibration, and the gimbal performs very well on all three axis. I'm really looking forward to trying this out in a brighter environment, where I have a subject to follow.

I will update as I get more experience with this piece of hardware, but for now the outlook looks pretty good. Let me know if you have any questions, concerns or inappropriate jokes.

Last edited:

NHS77

Did you have vibrations in the "gimbaled" video before you "reinforced" the rubber bobbins. (Currently trying to sort out vibrations on one of my crafts before I get a gimbal and am wondering how far I need to go before a gimbal is able to filter the remaining vibe...)

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
Did you have vibrations in the "gimbaled" video before you "reinforced" the rubber bobbins. (Currently trying to sort out vibrations on one of my crafts before I get a gimbal and am wondering how far I need to go before a gimbal is able to filter the remaining vibe...)

Vibrations? Not any jello... just the g8mbal bobbing around because the vibration dampening balls were so soft.

jipp

looks like a lot of fun. just yesterday we had such a pretty sunset was martian red.. hard to explain but iv only ever experience this in AZ. everything becomes a red hue as sun slowly goes down.. the superstition mountain range, with cactus, etc.. i would just go for a slow fly up then rottao at the summit to catch the sun going down.. that will probably be the first thing i want to catch.. its so pretty.. everyone needs to experience this martian type red hue.. one of them things you would see in a episode of the twilight zone.. only in the desert i guess can one experience or even know what im trying to explain.

so yeah a AP machine will be great for that. i was thinking are yo controlling the gimbal with sliders?

yup, ill be building a gopr ap machine come winter/spring.

you have inspired me.. i just have to decided if i want to go with your traditional setup, or more a 550 black sheep type frame. 6 motors or 4. etc.. lots to consider over this winter.

chris.

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
i was thinking are yo controlling the gimbal with sliders?

The only thing I have control over from the TX is the tilt (which you can see at the end of the movie below). It is possible to control tilt, pan and switch between 3 modes from the TX with this gimbal, but I don't have enought free channels on my TX... so tilt only it is.

I was able to get out yesterday and fly some FPV through the GoPro. Although this isn't anything to write home about video wise, you can at least see the gimbal in action in a setting other than my crappy backyard.

TURN YOUR VOLUME DOWN. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Wothrline

Wothrline
Power the Feiyu Tech

Thanks for this review!

I have been looking at the Feiyu Tech for quite some time since I don't want to spend a fortune on the Zenmuse H4-3D with GCU.
I have a TBS Discovery with 6S system and I am wondering if you power the gimbal from a separate battery or if you know the power consumption?
Will a 3S 500mAh or 3S 850mAh be sufficient to power the gimbal for +60min?

It might be that I mount a power converter and if so the 6S 8000mAh will for sure be enough, but it's nice to have an option.

Best regards
Janne

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
Next, the power lead is incorrect. It comes with a JST connector, but the male end, not the female end so I needed to fabricate an adapter to connect it to a power supply. No big deal.

I ran into this same issue on my FT2D gimbal. I'm not sure if Feiyu Tech (FT) does it backwards or if it's Immersion that does it. The PC board is unmarked. I was using a spare Immersion power cable and it wouldn't work. Thankfully connecting it backwards didn't let the magic smoke out. I just carefully removed the pins from the connector and swapped them. It works great. As you mentioned the documentation is lacking. I eventually came across an image on the FT website that showed a bit of the connected power cable and I was able to figure out the polarity. I've since read others complaining about the non-standard (reversed) polarity that Immersion uses.

Best regards,
PCH