Help! DIY Climbing drone!

rangeet

Hello! I write this post to look for recommendations for a new drone platform for a very long multi year project I want to get started on. Here is what I what I need it for, which is mostly what makes this complicated. I am a climber and I have been working on this project; an early version of what I have built that gives me a route (what a climber would call the beta) of the climbing line and I then climb it. Here is a short video :

My goal is to use a drone that sort of flies a bit overhead and behind me and 3D scans the route ahead of me and then I use the algorithm that I’m working on to come up with the beta that is fed to me. (Normally through an audio read out like left crimp, right jug, left rock over etc).

So I need a drone recommendation, and here is the criteria for this (I’m going to list it out in order of preference):

- stability of platform I’ve already broken a drone while flying it next to a cliff. The success case for this is a multiputch route at 300 ft going upto 2400 feet with temperatures varying from 8c to 24c optimally. Wind speeds is the real concern with gusts upto 12mph

- Modifiability, I tried a DJI and although they are kinda stable in the winds the platform itself is not very good at tracking me and relaying signals back to my laptop where the beta shall be figured out. I need something like python or something so I can code some image tracking stuff so the drone consistently tracks me and avoids obstacles. (Also suggestions about obstacle avoidance maybe using the arduino depth sensors around the drone would be very helpful) so a highly modifiable and codable flight controller is what I need.

- Costs, I do have a sponsor and help for the software so there is a nebulous but largeish budget for this

- Something foldable that I can carry with the rest of my gear to remote places. I also want to fly it in the gym so I’d like something that is not gigantic and a huge risk to everyone there (I’ll fly it when there is nobody there and just my lead partner, but I’d like to not damage stuff)

- flight time, outdoors on average a pitch takes me 10-20 mins to climb if it’s very hard. Worst case senario I need 25 mins of flight time for me to swap batteries and such.

Now I understand that this is probably a very custom rig. But any leads on flight controllers and other equipment would be very helpful for me to get started. The actual drone itself i imagine will have to be custom fabricated but if there is something out there I would greatly appreciate it along with camera recommendations and stuff. I’m essentially looking for a discussion on a decent list of started equipment so that I can start this before the summer and get some experience on it.

Lastly for context: I have flown drones and rc planes before. I’m also familiar with putting them together and I understand what an esc etc is so we can talk about recommendations directly!

Thanks! I look forward to suggestions!

Last edited:

Liam B

To me, this sounds like a job that would be well suited for a 7" quad with a LiIon battery. I would say something smaller like a LiIon powered ultralight micro if it wasn't for the 12mph wind gusts you'd be fighting. The issue then becomes flying a behemoth like a 7" in the gym. Ducted designs are inefficient and though safe, rather noisy. So how about a 5" design with low KV motors and a LiIon battery? You won't be needing high KV required for power because you'll be mostly hovering. The JohnnyFPV QAV-S2 just came out AND ticks the folding arm box. A highly optioned flight controller with stellar reliability sounds like something a BrainFPV board could accomplish. Maybe the Radix2 or HD variant?

Frame:

FC:

DaveM

CEO Flite Test
Hello! I write this post to look for recommendations for a new drone platform for a very long multi year project I want to get started on. Here is what I what I need it for, which is mostly what makes this complicated. I am a climber and I have been working on this project; an early version of what I have built that gives me a route (what a climber would call the beta) of the climbing line and I then climb it. Here is a short video :

My goal is to use a drone that sort of flies a bit overhead and behind me and 3D scans the route ahead of me and then I use the algorithm that I’m working on to come up with the beta that is fed to me. (Normally through an audio read out like left crimp, right jug, left rock over etc).

So I need a drone recommendation, and here is the criteria for this (I’m going to list it out in order of preference):

- stability of platform I’ve already broken a drone while flying it next to a cliff. The success case for this is a multiputch route at 300 ft going upto 2400 feet with temperatures varying from 8c to 24c optimally. Wind speeds is the real concern with gusts upto 12mph

- Modifiability, I tried a DJI and although they are kinda stable in the winds the platform itself is not very good at tracking me and relaying signals back to my laptop where the beta shall be figured out. I need something like python or something so I can code some image tracking stuff so the drone consistently tracks me and avoids obstacles. (Also suggestions about obstacle avoidance maybe using the arduino depth sensors around the drone would be very helpful) so a highly modifiable and codable flight controller is what I need.

- Costs, I do have a sponsor and help for the software so there is a nebulous but largeish budget for this

- Something foldable that I can carry with the rest of my gear to remote places. I also want to fly it in the gym so I’d like something that is not gigantic and a huge risk to everyone there (I’ll fly it when there is nobody there and just my lead partner, but I’d like to not damage stuff)

- flight time, outdoors on average a pitch takes me 10-20 mins to climb if it’s very hard. Worst case senario I need 25 mins of flight time for me to swap batteries and such.

Now I understand that this is probably a very custom rig. But any leads on flight controllers and other equipment would be very helpful for me to get started. The actual drone itself i imagine will have to be custom fabricated but if there is something out there I would greatly appreciate it along with camera recommendations and stuff. I’m essentially looking for a discussion on a decent list of started equipment so that I can start this before the summer and get some experience on it.

Lastly for context: I have flown drones and rc planes before. I’m also familiar with putting them together and I understand what an esc etc is so we can talk about recommendations directly!

If you are in the USA, I hope you have your part 107 Remote Pilot Certification. This is most definitely a part 107 operation unless you always do this flying indoors.
Have you looked into a Skydio drone? Their tracking is excellent.

Liam B

If you are in the USA, I hope you have your part 107 Remote Pilot Certification. This is most definitely a part 107 operation unless you always do this flying indoors.
Have you looked into a Skydio drone? Their tracking is excellent.
Not sure this is something that would fall under 107. Not using it to make money and probably not flying in classified airspace... unless maybe it's a state park but that comes down to state and park rules. Of course, the issues become much larger with national parks.

Not sure a Skydio fits the bill here since he's looking to build his own and have folding capability, but if you are interested in a Skydio @rangeet I happen to have one I am looking to get rid of! Great at tracking though I'm not sure how it would take wind conditions

DaveM

CEO Flite Test
Not sure this is something that would fall under 107. Not using it to make money and probably not flying in classified airspace... unless maybe it's a state park but that comes down to state and park rules. Of course, the issues become much larger with national parks.

Not sure a Skydio fits the bill here since he's looking to build his own and have folding capability, but if you are interested in a Skydio @rangeet I happen to have one I am looking to get rid of! Great at tracking though I'm not sure how it would take wind conditions
Liam, you state you are not sure if this operation requires a part 107. I AM sure. It does. I have been leading the FPV Freedom Coalition for five years and have been living and learning sUAS rules and regulations. Note, youtube videos are involved. The FAA considers posting YouTube videos using sUAS video as explicitly part 107 operations.

Liam B

Liam, you state you are not sure if this operation requires a part 107. I AM sure. It does. I have been leading the FPV Freedom Coalition for five years and have been living and learning sUAS rules and regulations. Note, youtube videos are involved. The FAA considers posting YouTube videos using sUAS video as explicitly part 107 operations.
Dave, I don't believe the original poster ever stated that he would be posting these videos to YouTube, so I'm not sure what you're getting at...

LitterBug

Techno Nut
IMG_20240404_183200243.jpg

I used to climb a LOT back in the day. Mostly top rope, some lead. I would highly recommend protected props of some sort. Climbing itself can be hazordous enough, especially out in the real world. Props in close proximity would add just that much more hazard. I would not count on full autonomy either. Someone should be manning the sticks at all times. I would use some sort of Cinewhoop style frame, with a healthy amount of padding around the outside. This thing WILL get beat up out in that environment. I would still go with a similar recommendation for an indoor gym. Throttle cut for safety. Don't even plan on return to home.

LB

skymaster

Elite member
I dont think you need a drone or a quad because, your are going to need a lot of power to keep them in the air. And if this if for research you might need part 107. but here is something you might want to look into.

DaveM

CEO Flite Test
Dave, I don't believe the original poster ever stated that he would be posting these videos to YouTube, so I'm not sure what you're getting at...
Liam, Please take a look at the original post where there is an imbedded YouTube video. I don’t think it’s a stretch when someone posts a YouTube video here to realize they are posting a YouTube video. Agree?

Liam B

Liam, Please take a look at the original post where there is an imbedded YouTube video. I don’t think it’s a stretch when someone posts a YouTube video here to realize they are posting a YouTube video. Agree?
Kind of an assumption, but sure, I guess I can agree with you. @skymaster does have a good point mentioning that it is for research and may require 107.

sloppyeagle

hey, i had very similar idea for this one, so instead of a drone i thought i can train an deep learning model to generate routes (thru photos) with betas for that i had to train it thru holds and stuff. but i quickly realized this is not possible sure generating a route can be done but the yk the type of hold, technique, the structure and surface of the wall and assistance wouldnt be possible. i would love to here from you if you have written an algorithm