"Fellowship"?

joshuabardwell

Mentor
I hope this question doesn't come off as rude; it's not intended that way.

When I look at the description of RC flight events like Joe Nall and Flite Fest, I see a lot of references to "fellowship". The only context in which I know this term is religious--to refer to co-mingling of religious people with each other, in a way that strengthens their faith. I've got nothing against any of that, but personally, I'm not religious, and although I'm sure I would get the best hospitality anybody could offer, I still would feel at least a little bit uncomfortable and out-of-place at a social event that had a religious focus, even if that focus was secondary to the main focus of the event (RC flight). Like, for example, if there was group prayer before meals.

This has been something that has made me hesitate when I consider whether to go to an event like Joe Nall or Flite Fest. So maybe somebody could advise: is the word "fellowship" being used to communicate that the event explicitly has a social connection to a religious community, or maybe is it just that the people involved are all heavily involved in the church, and "fellowship" is just the word that they happen to use, even if the event they're coordinating is not explicitly religious?

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
fellowship

[ ˈfelōˌSHip ]

NOUN

friendly association, especially with people who share one's interests:

"they valued fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community"

synonyms: companionship · companionability · sociability · comradeship ·

More

the status of a fellow of a college or society:

"she held the Faulkner fellowship"

The word is not specific to religion.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
The word is not specific to religion.

Another definition of the word is, "In Christianity, a term (translated from the Greek koinonia) referring to individual Christians who are in Christian communion with each other." I know that the founders of these events come from a religious background, so I think it's reasonable of me to ask whether they're using the word in an explicitly religious context.

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
... so I think it's reasonable of me to ask whether they're using the word in an explicitly religious context.

I didn't say it wasn't reasonable, just that the main dictionary definition doesn't apply explicitly to religion. Similarly, when someone uses the term "Drone" it shouldn't automatically default to being defined in a Military sense.

When applied to a religious group, it falls under the main definition, well, by definition.

Not trying to be combative or start an argument... just replying to your concern. In your first post you stated that the only context you know this term in was that of Religion, so I took you at your word. :)

I'm sorry that you both seemed to view my response as disrespectful, things don't always translate well on the internet. I have yet to see anyone on FliteTest push their personal belief system on anyone using FliteTest as a catalyst, so I wouldn't think you have to sit through a Church service every morning, or be subject to the Spanish Inquisition. It, to me, is nothing more than a gathering of like minded people to enjoy their hobby and passion.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
There was no religious agenda at Flite Fest last year. There was a Sunday morning chapel service in the event tent for anyone who wanted to attend (it was a great service by the way). I seriously doubt you will feel uncomfortable at the event.

sconner

The question doesn't come off rude at all joshuabardwell. I can understand your reservations. Nobody wants to be preached at unwillingly.

....I have yet to see anyone on FliteTest push their personal belief system on anyone using FliteTest as a catalyst, so I wouldn't think you have to sit through a Church service every morning, or be subject to the Spanish Inquisition. It, to me, is nothing more than a gathering of like minded people to enjoy their hobby and passion.

Ditto. FF2014 there was only one "church service" and it was obviously optional (and I greatly appreciated it) on Sunday morning in the tent. Many folks just didn't attend, they simply flew and had a ball while it was going on. Separate of that, not one person on the flight line was "preaching" that I knew of.

Join us! Trust me, it's not a church nor will anybody preach to you unless you want. :D It's a great time!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Seriously though, I'm sure someone will chime in and respectfully address your concern.

(with apologies to Maingear for stealing his comment to address the issue)

not to come off as rude either . . .

I'm not sure I see the concern.

Joshua,

Do you feel like you'd be any less/more welcome to one of these events if you were atihest/agnostic/FSM/whatever?

You recognize many of these organizers come from a religious background -- backgrounds that are open about sharing their faith. Do you fear that these are heaven's-time-share sales pitches where after the fun you're forced into a sales pitch you can't leave and must resist with all your will-power to make a choice of your own?

Do you expect the topic to be forced on you at every turn? If the topic comes up naturally that's one thing, but do you expect every person to force every conversation that direction?

If we disagree (politely and openly) about something as fundamental as "the nature of life and the universe" does that prevent us from being good friends? Prevent us from being good enough friends to build and fly together?

If someone is helping and encouraging others in a compelling enough way to be asked about their motivation, and if they share what motivates them to help and encourage others, is it right for someone to claim they're trying to "force" their views on them? force their viewpoint on others by doing good?

If these questions sound confrontational to you, read them again -- these are serious, not meant to be inflammatory.

If you're answering yes to any of them, I'd make the claim you don't know the nature of the people involved, and I'm sincerely sorry about the jerks (there are more accurate words, but this is a family friendly forum) who have given you this stereotype . . .

. . . but in the end, you're fearing a stereotype, not the real people.

Last edited:

joshuabardwell

Mentor
Dan, your questions are perfectly on point, but I think you may have misread the nature of my question. I'm capable of relating with all sorts of people, and no, I don't expect a hard-sell or anything like that. Basically, I just like to know what I'm getting myself into. I read the word "fellowship" as having explicitly religious connotations, so I was/am just trying to clarify whether the event has an explicitly religious nature.

I really hope nobody feels defensive about this. I don't have anything against religious people. My neighbors are Christian, and we get along very well. I kind of just want to anticipate the kind of culture I might be getting into. By way of example, if I were throwing an RC flight festival, and the pictures and wording on the web site suggested possibly that the event would be clothing-optional, that would probably be the kind of thing that people wanted to clarify before attending, even if they were comfortable with nudity.

PS: clothing-optional RC flight festival. Yikes! Watch the prop circle, gentlemen!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
PS: clothing-optional RC flight festival. Yikes! Watch the prop circle, gentlemen!

spontaneous bris ceremonies aside . . . I'm really starting to wonder if you've ever seen the people who come to these events :eek: ;)

Joshua, understood.

Most questions of this nature are a bit more loaded than yours, and getting them past the "these people are out to steal your soul" is a matter of breaking a stereotype . . . not your case, so sorry for the overkill.

Seems like you've gotten your answer from the dogpile . . . and once again, I'm pleased that even a dogpile here is still friendly. I hate imagining the flame-bonfire and the size of the ban-hammer most forums would hoist for a thread like this . . . we've got great people here :)

abieex

Mentor
Come and join us Joshua, you'll have a great time and meet truly nice, fun, people. I'm not overly religious and felt more than comfortable. I have to admit though that being involved with this has made me think about things I hadn't considered before. FF 2014 was a great experience! See you there.

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
I went last year and I'm sure they tried to get me to join IS. There were drones! They taught us to fight with each other too with our drones! I barely fought off the urge but for some reason I want to go again. Save me! :)

OK, I will be serious. I think you are just hung up on your interpretation of the word fellowship. Someone with a strong religious background will always use that word for a get together of like minds. In this case it is like minded foam plane builders. I didn't feel any religious pressure at all at the event. It was crazy fun and full of helpful RC addicts. Oh, I said addicts. I meant RC zealots. No I didn't. I mean they were a large bunch of people who were fanatic about RC and fun. This is going badly isn't it.

Let me start over. You are going to have a lot of fun. If you're the type that worships profanity then you may be a little uncomfortable as this is a family event and some adult supervision is required for safety reasons.

I suspect there will also be a lot of praise going on if/when the build challenge planes are revealed to the huddled masses. There was a lot of praise last year as well but it was for some guy who knew how to make coffee from water. These people are really odd. Now that I think about it so is anyone from England. They are always praising tea but in the spirit of fellowship we should let these tea worshipers share the skies with us.

What say you?

RichB

Another definition of the word is, "In Christianity, a term (translated from the Greek koinonia) referring to individual Christians who are in Christian communion with each other." I know that the founders of these events come from a religious background, so I think it's reasonable of me to ask whether they're using the word in an explicitly religious context.

"Context" means the setting in which words are spoken, as well as the other things that are said along with.

If you are watching a Flite Test video, the context is RC Flight and etc.

If you are talking about going to the church potluck, then the context is probably religious (but more likely, logistical. I mean, how many different kinds of chili do we need?).

Now, I suppose that you could wonder if a religious person is "using the word in an explicitly religious way", but not "in an explicitly religious context". The context (RC Flight and fun) should be quite clear to you. But then, your question comes down to basically, "Are these Christians speaking in code?" and I think that truly the answer is "no".

I think that your secondary definition ("individual Christians who are in Christian communion with each other") depends on the qualifying clause "In Christianity". I think "In Christianity" basically means "In a Christian context", so the second definition doesn't apply to Flite Test.

I also think that it's true that Christians probably use the word "fellowship" for non-religious meanings more often than non-christians. It's just a part of our vocabulary.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
your question comes down to basically, "Are these Christians speaking in code?" and I think that truly the answer is "no".

I think you hit the nail on the head there.

I also think that it's true that Christians probably use the word "fellowship" for non-religious meanings more often than non-christians. It's just a part of our vocabulary.

That seems to be the case. Thanks for the clarification, everybody.

Gryf

"Fellowship" has many connotatations, but whether in a Christian context or elsewhere, to me it simply means gathering with others that share your interests and passions. For example, I usually fly by myself. Every now and then my schedule coincides with those of a couple of friends, and we fly together. Flying together is much more fun... Our passion seems to feed on each others', and a great time is usually had. Now imagine meeting up with, and flying with, several hundred other kindred spirits. That was Flite Fest last year, and the experience was amazing. Sometimes this crazy hobby can get pretty lonely, so to hang out with so many other folks who were pumped about affordable RC in general, and Flite Test in particular, was truly memorable. Similarly, I've been involved with music in the past. Playing by myself is okay, but when I got with some other guys and formed a band, we moved on to whole new levels. Again, it was the camaraderie, the shared passion.

So yes, come to Flite Fest! You'll be surrounded by people of all kinds, but with the common love of flight. You'll be very welcome, and you'll have the time of your life... A mountaintop experience in a flat field.

Gryf

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Being a non-native English speaker I wasn't sure about the definition of fellowship either.

But then I remembered the Fellowship of the Ring! and everything was ok. :)

earthsciteach

Joshuabardwell - I understand your question. Please know that you can take Josh Bixler at face value. He uses the term "fellowship" as you and I might use, "hanging out." It is not an indication of any agenda to push his views on anyone, its just his vocabulary. He, and all of the FT folks that I've met, are genuinely awesome people. That area of Ohio may just be the friendliest place in America. I'm still in awe of the Furey family!