Fiberglass Spear - any suggestions?

abraarsameer

I recently got some 50 gsm fiberglass and epoxy. After some looking around, I centered in on the spear for my first fiberglass plane. I am quite a newbie with only 3 builds on my belt, but I’m not afraid to try it out.

The procedure, as I did it on a scrap piece of foam, is to sand (my foam has no paper laminate), wipe clean, brush the foam with epoxy, place cloth starting with the center and roll out bubbles with a skewer, brush some epoxy on the cloth and squeegee out with some foam.

Also, what would an approximate fiberglass to epoxy weight ratio? I hope it won’t get too heavy

Piotrsko

Master member
Traditionally, you don't preprime the foam with epoxy, just squeegee the glass, should be enough to stick and much lighter. I don't know that ratio, might be on the aircraft spruce how to page

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I’m far from an expert when it comes to fiberglass.

I have seen some pre-prime with fiberglass, but not with foam. I’m thinking foam will be too porous, you want the least amount of resin as possible. Resin is heavy, you don’t want to fill the porous with resin.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Another thing to remember is to either fiberglass it before you bevel you hinges, or to mask off the exposed foam from the bevel to keep it from getting filled with resin, and gumming up or gluing itself.

Last edited: