Filming While at Flite Fest

crash bandicoot

So,

I was wondering how filming and what not is going to go down at Flite Fest.

It appears that the festival itself will take up some time, and I was wondering if they guys would like to pre arrange some filming or podcast interviews while there are people there? I know they do interviews and what not while at Joe Nall.

I know they will probably be too busy, but I thought it would help to get some of that stuff done so they can have some episodes/ podcasts in the can so they don't have to go film the week after Flite Fest. I'm gessing they are going to need some time off after the Fest.

I for one would love to do a podcast interview with Chris Roncaglione. I actually ride motocross and fly as well, and bought a full scale and UMX radian based on their reccomendations of them (The whole crew seems to like them).
I'm not saying that I'm anyone special either, I just thought it would be interesting to hear people's stories on how they got into Flitetest. Mine is pretty interesting, it involves a lot of great crashes, then a love affair with the FT Flyer that was finally replaced by the UMX Radian / Hobbyzone Duet. I have also begun to teach other people how to fly, and that has been really fun as well. I'm sure there are tons of people with a lot of stories just like mine.

Anyway, I just putting that idea out there for the crew. They might as well take advantage of the wealth of flitetest people that will be in Eastern Ohio for the weekend.

bitogre

Can you please elaborate on "the festival itself will take up some time"? I not sure what you are referring to by "the festival itself." Based on the schedule on the Flite Fest web site and other comments made by Josh Bixler, I expect Flite Fest to be very much like SEFF and Joe Nall (and some where between them in size) and/or one of their Open Houses (which I have not attended). Please let me know if you have reason to believe this expectation is wrong.

Have you been to SEFF, Joe Nall, a Flite Test Open House, or any other RC flying event that Flite Test has been at? Just trying to understand where you might be getting your expectations from.

I am hoping that the key Flite Test cast and crew (Josh, Josh, Alex, Chad, and Dave) will let others run Flite Fest so that they will be free to pretty much do the same thing they do at other events: ether interact with the other attendees or film for the recap video (though much of that filming will likely be of interactions with attendees). Given that they are running the event, I would not be surprise if many of the interactions with the attendees to be more planned out and/or structured but I also would not be surprised if they were not.

I am curious to learn more about your idea of "filming or podcast interviews while there are people there". Who do you expect to be there that the fans of Flite Fest would be interested in hearing/watching? I do not want to imply that it is a bad idea because it might be a great one but I guess I have different expectations of the attendees than who you expect.

Or are you suggesting that you want to interview the Flite Test crew (where you are the interviewer and they are the one being interviewed)? Again, not sure how interesting a more formal interview would be to fans of Flite Fest so I would be surprised if anything like that was formalized. I do expect that you would have numerous opportunities to talk to and socialize with all of the crew (including Chris). Some of this might be filmed but I would be surprised if significant portions of this would get release on Flite Test. I expect the clips Flite Test to release being very similar to what they have shown of fan interactions in past event recaps. I assume that you could make your own recording of your talks with the Flite Fest crew for you to release on your own.

I guess we have different expectations. Who is right, I do not know.

crash bandicoot

Flitetest doesn't have that many people running it, I'm sure that the Josh's and others will be helping, but most of the time they will be visiting, so I don't think they will have time to do anything that I stated.

If you listen to the podcast, or have seen any of the episodes before, while they are at shows they will interviews withvendors, their friends, and they will usually show clips of their group builds. These are the sort of things that when they are at a show and not running one, they have time to film. They usually then use this footage the week or two following.

If you don't listen to the podcast then maybe that's why you don't understand. But they have interviewed several people, Hitec, the guy who made the Magnum PI helicopter, and they bring in some of their flying buddies in for interviews as well. I was just thiking that they will have a golden opportunity to collect a lot of interviews with people at the festival.

But I do think they will be busy running Flite Fest. They have volunteers, but only so many.

I don't want to interview them, I'm just excited to be there, especially after a 12 hour drive.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Crash,

They'll likely be involved . . . but most of the volunteers are working to see that they aren't . . . we'll see.

Knoptop, will likely be filming on and off all weekend. He's a great guy to chat with, but very edge of the scene, and pops out with a camera or two if he sees something worth catching . . . and then the camera disappears. He's quite good at what he does. That, and he likely won't be the only guy with a camera tasked with recording footage for FT.

Josh and Alex will likely be chatting until their throats go dry, but since events and times are scheduled, many of which they'll be active participants in, they'll likely move from one appointment . . . then chat . . . to then next appointment. I'd think of them as hosts at a large party with help -- they'll do what they can to make sure everything goes well, but their time is best served spending time with the guests.

Every one else? We'll see. Most of the interviews that were recorded during festivals were last year. I don't think they had time this year. they did some fun things that make great quick tips or let's fly vids, but from what I saw, they spent a bulk of the time moving from one conversation to the next . . . and in a lull rested or repaired or tried out a quick "what if we" idea.

You're more than welcome to join the crew of volunteers, if you care to -- it's not a lifetime commitment, or force you to miss the whole festival. A few hours lending a hand can make a big difference and add a pair of hands to make the work lighter. If not, at least have a blast ;)

crash bandicoot

Craftydan,
I would volunteer but I will only only be there Friday night and Saturday, I want to see everyting that I can. Aslo my father and grandfather are coming and I am their tour guide, my dad is an aviation enthusiast but learning about R/C, and my grandpa is 75 and just along for the ride.
They have seen me learn how to fly, and are curious enough to come with me on a roadtrip!

I fully plan on having a blast though.

Splatwillicrash

I have volunteered!

In fact I volunteered before I even was sure I could schedule it with work, just to make sure the FT crew knew they had support for the whole Fest thing. Flying Monkey is I understand working out a schedule, I will be in EARLY, Probably Late Tuesday Evening but no later than Wed Morning. in a 27ft RV.

I am there early to make sure I can help where needed before the event. There is always a thousand things you don't think of that have to get done right before an event, that is why I came so early. Looking forward to the good times and the many memories we will make.

Now if I can figure out the MultiWii on my new Tri I can start to relax a bit.:p

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Splat, Welcome to the team!

If you can't get the multiwii board to fall in line, if you've got a laptop with you we can see about beating the code into sumbission, and then making the frame regret it's reluctance ;)

Mytchak

KG5CZA
Splat, Welcome to the team!

If you can't get the multiwii board to fall in line, if you've got a laptop with you we can see about beating the code into sumbission, and then making the frame regret it's reluctance ;)

I had a multiwii but switched to the Ardupilot. I'll have my laptop and the software for the MultiWii and I'll be more than happy to assist too!!!

I'll be the clueless guy wondering around muttering "Now where the hell did that thing land????"

-David